Hornby T9 conversion to EM or P4

7&Y

Has anyone on this forum successfully converted a Hornby T9 to EM and is willing to pass on details of the procedure adopted?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

i'd be interested too. I imagine the rigid chassis on the watercart tenders, with no vertical play, will be a big issue in P4. It's interesting to watch the various tender axles loose contact with the track and stop turning. Even the smallest dip causes this.

If you are (or know someone who is) a member of the Scalefour Society, Scalefour News 167 carried an article by John Critchley on converting a narrow cab T9 to P4.

There is a photo (but not much more information) of a wide cab T9 converted to EM by Philip Hall in MRJ 194; and an article in the form of an interview with Philip Hall on how he converted an M7 - which may or may not be of help - in MRJ 205.

Is this intended to be EM or P4?

I think the piece was in Railway Modeller since I remember it: BRM is usually wrapped so I don't look at it. It may well have used Markits wheels (Gibson do a conversion set too and so far as I know are the only option for P4 currently).

This kind of RTR conversion is well-covered by the EM Gauge society in their digest sheets/CD, but to get this, you'll need to join (well-worth it). I think the technical side - changing the wheels - is relatively straightforward, clearance inside the splashers is the issue, at least in EM where, I think, the supplied chassis arrangement should work if only because I know it has been done.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

thanks all, looks like a good reason to join the EM society.

Does anyone think there's a need for an EM conversion group on here? Track construction is very well covered but searching for and finding anything about regauging locos is not easy - not helped by 'EM' being too few letters and too common (in words) to work in the search function.

• 3 years later...

thanks all, looks like a good reason to join the EM society.

Does anyone think there's a need for an EM conversion group on here? Track construction is very well covered but searching for and finding anything about regauging locos is not easy - not helped by 'EM' being too few letters and too common (in words) to work in the search function.

Has an EM group been set up? I can't find anything ...

Is this intended to be EM or P4?

I think the piece was in Railway Modeller since I remember it: BRM is usually wrapped so I don't look at it. It may well have used Markits wheels (Gibson do a conversion set too and so far as I know are the only option for P4 currently).

This kind of RTR conversion is well-covered by the EM Gauge society in their digest sheets/CD, but to get this, you'll need to join (well-worth it). I think the technical side - changing the wheels - is relatively straightforward, clearance inside the splashers is the issue, at least in EM where, I think, the supplied chassis arrangement should work if only because I know it has been done.

Adam

Just noticed this thread!!

Agreed, perhaps a dedicated EM conversion thread may be useful.

As for the T9, the article was indeed in the Modeller, and the pictures of the completed one were of mine. The wide cab variant can be converted easily using Gibsons with no body clearance issues, but the narrow cab variant does need a deal of scraping inside the splashers and cab sides....around 1+ mm needs removing each side if I remember correctly that far back.

Archived