BEWARE this Ebay seller!

silverlink

Please, please, please watch out for anything for sale from this Ebay seller 'hardworkingtaxpayer' I purchased a Bachmann A2 in June & still have not recieved it. He will not respond to emails & on looking have found the last ten purchasers have not recieved their goods either. Yes I know, I should have checked the feedback but was so pleased at getting the loco I forgot to look. I have been buying & selling for quite a while now & this is the first time anything like this has happened to me. I have registered a complaint with ebay & hope as I paid with Paypal I will get a refund. I still can't understand why Ebay have not removed the guy..

Cheers

silverlnk

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It could simply be the guy has been taken ill suddenly (or worse) and hence is unable to complete the sale or even communicate. There is always the possibility of this situation arising with private sellers who are trading on their own. The Ebay checker tool shows that the problem started suddenly and for everyone. He doesn't have any items for sale at the moment. I use this tool to check if a seller's feedback score is not 100% - Ebay checker tool

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I often wondered what happens if someone on E bay dies in the middle of transactions. Their good name will go down the pan with complaints from buyers and sellers who don't know the reason for the silence. Perhaps it should be written into one's funeral instructions to advise any on-line business or forums you are involved in.

This looks like there may be a bigger problem than your seller simply not responding - up until 22nd June this seller had 100% feedback and had sold a wide variety of items including many higher values lots.

It does not look like the account of a poor quality eBayer, rather it looks like someone who has suddenly been unable to complete the transactions - possibly due to accident, illl health or maybe even death.

Open a case with the Ebay resolution centre and I am sure they will be able to arrange a refund.

I often wondered what happens if someone on E bay dies in the middle of transactions. Their good name will go down the pan with complaints from buyers and sellers who don't know the reason for the silence. Perhaps it should be written into one's funeral instructions to advise any on-line business or forums you are involved in.

I've had that happen to me but in this case I was the seller and only found out because his son sent a message via ebay

Hi, just to bring you up to date with this thread. I am pleased to say that Ebay have decided in favour of the buyer (me) & have given me a total refund. It would have been nice to get the loco but at least I'm not out of pocket. This is the second time this has happened to me, the first time was when I won some instuctions for one of the rare Hornby Dublo loco's & I never ever got them or a refund (cheque payment). I understand from other Hornby Dublo collectors that guy was really bad! & to make thing worse he gets taken off Ebay & then rejoins as someone else ! so you never know until it's to late you have fallen into the trap again. Luckilly my loss was only for around £7. I take the point about illness or worse.

Cheers

silverlink

• Like 1

I have been buying & selling for quite a while now & this is the first time anything like this has happened to me.

Cheers

silverlnk

Your above post #7 doesn't tie in with what you wrote in the your first post. Just saying................

Best, Pete.

regretably I rrecently had serious medical problems requiring a stay in Hospital from the end of November 2010 to Mid March, fortunatley i had no unfulfilled commirments on Eba but i could have had- my next if kin now have the paswords to acess the account.

70022 Tornado

Your above post #7 doesn't tie in with what you wrote in the your first post. Just saying................

Best, Pete.

Your'e quite right Pete it doesn't, my mistake ! I was so annoyed with this seller I forgot all about the previous experence which did happen some few years ago now.

Cheers

silverlink

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opposite happen.

I bought a fountain pen and immediately (I mean 10 seconds) after the sale the seller said he had sent it in the mail.

My suspicions were aroused and when it didn't come in a week or so. I put a claim into Paypal. They paid with no questions asked.

Anyway eight weeks later the pen arrived by sea mail. I honestly tried to give the money back but Paypal and the seller didn't want to know me. I tried for about two weeks and eventually gave up and figgured it made up for the book I had been dudded out of a couple of years earlier.

• RMweb Gold

Things do go missing in the post. Some while ago there was a recommendation on here to buy a digital caliper - even a cheap one would improve my modelling, I thought. So I splurged a whole tenner on ebay from a firm with a 5-figure sales history. Two weeks later, no sign, so I dropped them a line, and a further item was despatched, arriving days later. Months afterwards a somewhat damaged package arrived with the original item, sturdy plastic box partly smashed, but the caliper still undamaged.

My apologies, I didn't mean to bust your b@lls either. I think I was overdue for a ciggy when I wrote that!

Best, Pete.

Bust your b@lls? That's Wiseguy talk. Are you going to send 'Guito Bats Anselmi' and Sammy The Nut Cracker Scalasi' round to the seller's place to 'discuss' the issue? :crazy:

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Bust your b@lls? That's Wiseguy talk. Are you going to send 'Guito Bats Anselmi' and Sammy The Nut Cracker Scalasi' round to the seller's place to 'discuss' the issue? :crazy:

Hey Shoity, Watcha ya mouth if ya don' wanna get accident prone, capish? :aggressive_mini: ;)

Dave.

• Like 1

Normally I wouldn't buy from anyone with bad feedback so I was racking my brains as to why I had bought from this one. I relised I had, when going to bid at the end of June checked his feedback & found it to be 100% positive. The penny dropped when I noticed all the negative feedbacks coming in in the middle to end of July some three weeks later. I then emailed the seller to no avail & at this point relised I'd been well & truly duped !!! I'm not sure if all the other people that lost out had fallen for the same type of add which read 'please be aware this item will be posted between 24 & 28 days after purchase please do not bid if you do not agree to conditions'. I think he's now been removed from Ebay Hurrah !!!

silverlink

• RMweb Gold

I don't know how significant this is, but usually when an E Bay seller gets removed for breaches of the rules he appears as "No longer a registered user" In this case it says "Not a registered user" Also, unlike the "bad boy" scenarios, the listings have been removed.

I still suspect the illness or death theory. Surely no one could go from 100% positive to 100% negative just like that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if all the other people that lost out had fallen for the same type of add which read 'please be aware this item will be posted between 24 & 28 days after purchase please do not bid if you do not agree to conditions'.

Maybe he was going away for a couple of weeks - even to hospital? As folks have said, illness or worse does sound a distinct possibility in a seller who's gone from 100% to not delivering anything, all in a short space of time. Perhaps we shouldn't be quite so triumphant about his removal from Ebay - there, but for the grace of God...

• Like 1

Maybe he was going away for a couple of weeks - even to hospital? As folks have said, illness or worse does sound a distinct possibility in a seller who's gone from 100% to not delivering anything, all in a short space of time. Perhaps we shouldn't be quite so triumphant about his removal from Ebay - there, but for the grace of God...

One of the things I have difficulty understanding is the lack of contact information from many Ebay sellers. As I have used Ebay for a few years now under my 'Peasholm Models' banner I have always been up front with all I sell. I have full contact details available including Tel number should purchaser want to contact me. Of course most times this isn't needed as when a purchaser emails me through Ebay I always respond to them. I always wonder why many sellers don't want us to have their tel numbers. Perhaps it's just my suspicious nature !

silverlink

• RMweb Gold

Even if you do not intend to pay by cheque, if you go through the start of the payment process, the system always gives a name and postal address. I note that down, then pay by PayPal.

The last feedback that hardworkingtaxpayer left for others was to alfa_corbin, who was also the last person to leave him positive feedback as a seller. He then received one more positive feedback as a buyer. He had a 100% record, suddenly going negative, yet he has not once defended himself, nor sent any feedback to anyone.

I do believe that Silverlink is becoming deaf to even the possibility the something bad has happened to "hardworkingtaxpayer" All the evidence points that way.

Even if you do not intend to pay by cheque, if you go through the start of the payment process, the system always gives a name and postal address. I note that down, then pay by PayPal.

The last feedback that hardworkingtaxpayer left for others was to alfa_corbin, who was also the last person to leave him positive feedback as a seller. He then received one more positive feedback as a buyer. He had a 100% record, suddenly going negative, yet he has not once defended himself, nor sent any feedback to anyone.

I do believe that Silverlink is becoming deaf to even the possibility the something bad has happened to "hardworkingtaxpayer" All the evidence points that way.

Colin,

not deaf just suspicious, I did respond in post seven of ths thread that I take the point of perhaps illness or worse happening however, I did notice in another of the negative feedback comments that hardworkingtaxpayer uses been on holiday as an excuse for not sending out goods which is what he said to me when I emailed him after my purchase. My above post was not necessarily aimed at this Ebayer but a general observation.

silverlink

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough, you did say in post #7 "I take the point about illness or worse" but that statement was in a paragraph about a Hornby Dublo instruction sheet, and certainly did not stand out to the same extent as other comments.

"Using excuses" such as "being on holiday" is still not consistent with the person who until then had 100% feedback. Also people have been know to take ill or die on holiday.

We will probably never know as the E bay system (and indeed all web sites including RMWeb) does not have the facility to know that something has happened to a person unless someone else knows to inform that site.

• 3 weeks later...

I will just say that I purchased three times from this seller in April last year and received all three items promptly (cattle wagons and chnia clay wagons)- and this was one of my feedbacks for him:

"very quick postage, good comms, combined payment, excellent, thank you"

Whilst I don't recall anything specific about this purchase, I clearly had some kind of contact e-mail with him, probably about the payment combination to save postage.

So I contributed to that 100% rating....

• 2 months later...

Have just recieved an email from one of the other people who were duped by this crook, it reads as follows:

Dear silverlink60014,

Hi Ian an update re locos not received

Bristol Police have been on the case for 3 months and have tried to execute 6 yes 6 arrest warrants against 'hardworkingtaxpayer' but she's scarpered back to Poland However the case has been filed and will be re-opened if and when she returns to the UK

Bruce

Not ill, not dead just b*****ed off back to Poland !!!

silverlink