Video: The Corris Railway

PenrithBeacon

I spent last week in and around the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways, but on the way back home I made a diversion to the Corris Railway. I last made a visit to this railway in 1977 and it has made great strides since then as this film shows; well worth a visit.

I recently acquired a small ‘point and shoot’ camera, a Canon IXUS 1000 HS, and this camera was used to shoot this film in full 1080p HD. It is truly astonishing that such a tiny camera can achieve such good results.

Regards

Thank you very much. You are right about the quality, it is excellent. Were you using a tripod? Is that one of the loco's that went to the Talyllin, or is it a new-build replica?

Ed

The camera was mounted on a monopod which accounts for why the film occasionally leans a little to one side. The film was essentially an experiment to see just how good the camera is; I wasn't expecting it to turn out as good as it is.

The loco is a new build of one of the engines that went to the Talyllyn as is one of the coaches. The other coach is new build too, but of a vehicle that didn't survive; that entire train is basically a scratch built piece of railway, really impressive. The railway is quietly making a new build of their 'other' engine and they have an on-going appeal for funds to do this. I gave them a donation, please can other RMweb members do the same when they visit, the more the merrier!

Thank you for the kind comments re the film

Regards

Excellent work David and thanks for sharing.

It seemed inconceivable to me back in 1973 when I last when to the primary school opposite the farm access road at Corris, for the railway to be reborn. This to such an extent that the preservationists will recreate the entire 1930s steam fleet when the Falcon replica is completed. The extension to Ffridd Gate would be good, but just imagine an amble up the valley to Aberllefenni, in the other direction.

Wonderful stuff

Archived