Magwatch: Hornby magazine #51: September 2011

spamcan61

• RMweb Premium

Update: 10 pages: includes double page spread on Beyer-Garratt

Ashland: 12 pages: Mike Wild recounts the build of this layout in a weekend

£20 project: 4 pages: Phil Parker tweaks a Hornby 153

Corwen: 4 pages: Evan Green-Hughes describes a plan for this North Wales junction.

Parker’s Guide: 4 pages: Phil builds a Howard Scenics card kit.

Buying 2nd hand locomotives: 6 pages: Trevor Jones offers his advice.

2 pages letters

Hobbs Warren: 8 pages: Terry & Bernard describe their small O gauge layout.

DCC: 4 pages: Paul Chetter adds as much DCC to a Hornby A4 as possible, part 1.

Reviews: 22 pages: Includes Hornby 4-VEP, Bachmann MPV & Heljan CO-BO.

Gamesley Staff Halt: 8 pages: Gary Atkinson describes his unusual ‘N’ Woodhead layout.

Railway Realism: 4 pages: Evan Green-Hughes explores the history of the Isle of Wight’s railways.

• RMweb Gold

And some juicy little titbits in unexpected places - a two-pager on this Swindon RailwayFestival at 'Steam' reveals that the museum has a couple of new special commissions in the pipeline - D1000 from Dapol (hopefully in original livery but not stated as such) and from Bachmann Scenecraft what must be the ultimate in nostalgia for many of us - a low relief model of the entrance to the Works tunnel (although it lacks the Wednesday afternoon/Sunday morning queues of those full of anticipation, I wonder if they'll do 'The Glue Pot Inn' next?).

a two-pager on this Swindon RailwayFestival at 'Steam' reveals that the museum has a couple of new special commissions in the pipeline - D1000 from Dapol

I am guessing this will be in 00 Gauge as Osborns have already commissioned one of these in N gauge.

http://www.osbornsmodels.com/nd-osb3-osborns-exclusive-Dapol-western-enterprise-d1000-desert-sand-livery-12625-p.asp

• RMweb Premium

As nobody seems to have mentioned it yet,

I've just picked up a copy in Tesco and it came with a free "Getting Started" DVD (100mins) . Don't know what is on it as the magazine is to take away on holiday tomorrow!

Mine didn't have that...I wonder why?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the update, Phil, but it came too late for me, when I rang what must have been the wrong number and got the answerphone of a lady called Dorothy....

I was only reading this issue for the first time tonight, and was pleasently surprised to see the Howard Scenics kit featured. I've long been a fan of these kits (and ordered another two from Jerry Freestone only yesterday!).

I would point out, however, that the brick paper that is supposed to match the finish on the kits is actually of a redder/orangier hue, and in my opinion, doesn't match it at all well. I realised that I already had some, when asking Mr Freestone about this yesterday. The 'matching' brickpaper is also printed on paper, rather than the thin card that the kits are printed on.

I must also compliment you on the good job you've made of the windows. When I first looked at the photos in the magazine, I thought that you had somehow obtained a set of the old etched brass windows that they used to supply with the kits, but upon closer inspection, I guess they must be the printed ones, although you have cut them out and mounted them well.

I used a set of the Howard Scenics brass windows on the first kit I build several years ago, but these weren't available in later years, resulting in the printed acetate ones that they currently supply. I feel that these are inferior to the etched brass product, and asked Mr Freestone a few years ago if they were going to have another run produced. He said he would like to, but not immediately. That was back in 2007, and unfortunately they are still not available.

However, with a bit of careful modification to the kit, it would almost certainly be possible to use other products, such as etched windows from the Geoff Taylor range, or the laser-cut plastic ones from York Modelmakers. On the other hand, with the care that you have taken, it is clearly possible to get them looking good. The only disadvantage with that approach is that you more or less have to have them in the cream colour supplied!

• RMweb Gold

As a footnote to this issue, as the next one is imminent - it's a testament to how good the issue was that I am still reading it almost a month on. Top value, may the next one be as good :)

It's even better (having had a quick skim through it when I got it home about an hour ago - top notch loco weathering article for a start).

Archived