Hi Two Tone Green

I saw on the old forum that you use RR&Co and the LDT signal and occupancy decoders to operate the signals, and make them change as the trains pass by. I would love to hear more about how successful you feel this has been for you, as that is exactly the system I am thinking of using for my N gauge layout. Some specific questions that would be great if you don't mind:

1. Is the block occupancy fussy about which rail is broken for the isolating section - or does it work by measuring the current draw with either rail being broken?

2. How do you make different trains stop in the same place with their different speed, braking and motor performance characteristics etc?

3. How do you find the logic of RR&Co? Does it work well with points set against route etc?

4. Was there ever any progress with LDT producing a four aspect British signalling decoder? I had come to the same conclusion re the Dutch one for three aspect operation, but it would be great to be able to use a couple of 4 aspect signals with feather.

5. I think you mentioned something about RA? What does this mean?

6. Can RR&Co handle "dummy" signals - in other words, imaginary signals on hidden parts of the layout that can impact the logic of actual visible signals?

Appreciate your thoughts on the above

All the best

David

Hi David,

Here re the answers you want.

1, no, but a convention is useful and I stuck with the rail nearest to me around the layout. If you do decide to have different sides do watch out for shorts as you will have to use the detectors in banks of four. So four one side and if you choose to chance side the next four will have to be the same. There are two groups of four detectors on an RS8 which can be fed independently from the DCC bus.

2. Calibration of each loco by using the set up in the software. For me its millimetre perfect. Put a pencil dot on the board and every loco will stop next to it.

3. You can set up what you want in the software. Your imagination and ingenuity are the limit. Multiple ways to skin a cat comes to mind and when you start playing you will understand what I mean. Its free to try and play so give it a go.

4. No

5. RA, Right Away I beleive and is used to tell the driver the train is ready to leave and is used when he cannot see the end of the train and the guard waving his flag.

6. Yes. Go play, see answer 3.

Hope this helps.

TTG

And as for a good system, excellent. Would recomend it for Lenz users.

Hi David,

The block occupancy detectors I was talking about above are the RS8 which I used with my Lenz set up. But you cannot use these as you are an ESU user.

The new ESU ECoS Detector has just been released and I have two on order to collect next weekend in Telford so should be able to tell you more about them soon. But there is some very good advise on them on the ESU forum.

The other option is the S88 bus which LDT do make detectors for.

But do go ahead and try RR&Co, its good, very good.

Oh right, thanks. I didn't realise you couldn't use the RS8 with ESU - do you know why not?

I'd certainly be very interested in your views on the ECoS Detector.

I've been looking at your (and Dave from Wirral Finescale) posts on RMWEB but I just curious to know did either you or he talk about setting up 4 aspect colour lights with a route indicating feather?

Do you have any views on the Traintronics colour light signal decoders and occupancy detectors? See TT301 and TT302 on this link http://www.cravenmodels.com/TRAINTRONICSDCCINS.htm

I will have a play with RR&Co in the next couple of weeks, and let you know how I get on - but I am thinking of ordering some colour light signals soon - just don't want to get any that I can't end up controlling.

Thanks for answering

Actually I think it was the S88 bus at LDT I was looking into. I'm not hugely knowledgeable on all this stuff - I have a lot to learn, but the choices are bewildering!

I currently have ESU 50200 hooked up with DCC Concepts Cobalt point motors, but looking to move on to signal operation and automation. Very impressive you tube clips with your HST and Class 40 by the way.

Hi David, you in blog mode or what...... :yes:

The RS8's are only for Lenz and their feed back bus which uses the terminals R & S on their DCC master units so its become called the RS feed back bus. But as far as I'm aware, only Lenz and Lenz based systems use it.

The S88 bus is ok but it does have its problems and I have held back getting and S88 stuff wanting to go with ESU's own feed back system although the ECoS does directly support the S88 system.

I have no experience of Traintronics so will hold off commenting on them. Also as I don't use four aspect signals I have not looked into decoders supporting them but I suspect their must be some around but you need one that supports British colour lights and their sequence. I used the LDT DEC NS system as the Dutch system is the same as BR for three and two aspect signals. But setting signals up in RR&Co is easy as Dave has shown.

How did you connect your Cobalt's to the ECoS

As for the HST and 40, all departed now as the layout is no more. Have scaled up to 7mm and loving it.

I have used the Cobalt AD1 or AD4 accessory decoders. They link directly to a parallel power bus, with continuous outputs which simply switch polarity. The best bit is that they have two pairs of switched outputs, so I am going to make an improvement and wire in both frogs of a diamond crossing to the adjacent point. I will also improve a couple of "tricky" points in a similar way. I have also found you can run two cobalt point motors from one AD1, for a crossover for example

I've taken a look at the ESU forum - some very technical stuff from the Keith Underground chappie - which needs proper going through - not a Saturday evening job. I guess to get the best out of RR&Co you need a good reliable and affordable detection system, so definitely interested to hear your views soon on the ESU detectors you've got on order.

Good luck and all the best

Hi David,

I use the Cobalt decoders as well but use the ESU Switch Pilot and Extensions to operate mine. I wanted the Railcom feed back for point position the Switch Pilot offers to see what its like with RR&Co as its supported in the software.

Keith, Going Under Ground as he is know, is doing a great job on their filling in well for the tech support people who seem to miss a lot of things.

You are not wrong with your comment, you do need a good reliable detection feed back system, the software demands it.

I'll let you kow what happens once I get them set up on my layout. It will be a while as I only finished painting the boards yesterday and the first point positioned today that will form the reference point from which all the other track will be placed. Electrofrogs and all that good stuff so lots to do.

Dividing the layout into logical blocks does not necessarily imply, that your blocks must be electrically insulated. TrainController™ does not require such electrical insulation. Whether your blocks must be insulated or not depends solely on the hardware used.

Hi TTG

Just read this comment on the RR&Co manaul, and wondered if you could explain? I can't get my head around blocks which are not electrically insulated? Whenever you're ready to give your feedback on the ESU occupancy detectors, you'd bear this point in mind?

Thanks

David

Dividing the layout into logical blocks does not necessarily imply, that your blocks must be electrically insulated. TrainController™ does not require such electrical insulation. Whether your blocks must be insulated or not depends solely on the hardware used.

Hi TTG

Just read this comment on the RR&Co manaul, and wondered if you could explain? I can't get my head around blocks which are not electrically insulated? Whenever you're ready to give your feedback on the ESU occupancy detectors, you'd bear this point in mind?

Thanks

David

If the detectors are something not in the power rails, for example IR beam breaking devices, then the track does not need isolating breaks.

Track current sensors need electrical isolation, at least in the rail which has the sensor attached. Whether this is one or both rails depends on the sensor selected.

In a layout you might choose to use a number of different detection methods; track current for a long block, but beam-breaking for absolute positioning within the block (such as place to initiate deceleration to stop at a signal).

- Nigel

Nigel is quite right in his explanation but I would like to add that if you have block occupancy detectors of the current sensing kind and use RR&Co you can set event markers in the software to initiate braking, sound a horn, make tea, whatever you want.

The same event markers can be triggered by reeds etc which are spot detection methods but the current sensing type are by the most flexible form of detection by offering protection over the complete block rather then just in one place if you use IR or reed switches.

As for the ESU ECoS Detector, got mine last Tuesday during a stop over in Weston and a visit to SWD, great people. To say its simplicity in a box would be an understatement.

The hardest job is getting it out of the box, really. After that, plug it into the ECoS, turn it on and that's it. Of course wire it to the track but the configuration is all done for you by the ECoS and it comes pre configured for two rail, current sensing so you can play straight away.

On the ECoS looking at the ECoLink page it shows the detector and allocates it a number, 1,2, 3 etc and as I had two it made one box 1 and one box 2. Easy. You can name it as well what ever you want but I just added a 1 after its default name and 2 for the other one.

Four blocks are Railcom enabled so that's nice although Railcom on all blocks would have been nice.

I have yet to try it out for real as I'm in Telford awaiting the O Gauge show to open tomorrow but next weekend I hope to try it on my ever developing new O Gauge layout along with all the otehr goodies bought tomorrow.

Good man TTG! Hope you have a good time in Telford. Sounds very positive.

I read on another trail on here that you were thinking of a RR&Co get together near Manchester? Is that still the plan - in early 2012? If there's any places left and it's after Christmas, I'd be interested...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I have just been trying to connect my Windows Vista laptop to my ESU ECoS unit, but without any success. I've plugged in directly from one to the other using a LAN cable, and set the IP address 192.168.1.2 on the ECoS. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I've ordered Silver RR&Co as per your advice, and am waiting for the password to arrive - so thought I would try and get a head start.

Not a great start!

Thanks

David

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if the same applies here but when you connect two PCs together directly using a LAN cable it needs to be of the crossover type, not the standard LAN cable that you would use to connect both via a router. Not expensive if you shop around - eg http://www.ebuyer.com/16489-belkin-cat5e-moulded-utp-crossover-cable-1m-f3x126b01m

What you will get from RR&Co is not a password but a USB stick which will authorise the software if it's plugged into the PC when the program is started.

• RMweb Premium

What you will get from RR&Co is not a password but a USB stick which will authorise the software if it's plugged into the PC when the program is started.

Is that how it's always been?

The website & software gives the impression you get a password to enter into the start screen.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Is that how it's always been?

The website & software gives the impression you get a password to enter into the start screen.

Keith

Its both and the reason we only use 5.3 now, its too risky relying on a single USB stick for show use, we've also had issues with the network versions validating correctly against the PC with the stick, spending an hour trying to get it working whilst trying to get the layout set up for a show has put us off V7.

Yes, indeed. I was just using "password" as a short hand. What I was really interested in was any advice on settings needed in Vista to communicate with the ECoS but I think you're just saying I need the correct cable?

Archived