Dragon Steels, South Wales metals traffic 1990-1992

Wayne 37901

• RMweb Gold

Sat 23rd jab. 2016. The scout hall, fields park road, pontcanna,

Just round the corner from the halfway pub, on cathedral road.

Nice pint in there...the Rev James in particular....

Let us know if popping up Neil.

Rob

• Like 1

Removal of logos on the 56 now complete without any major disasters, just waiting on transfers to arrive then I can get this one lettered up. In my opinion Hornby have done quite a good job with the triple grey livery, so from the outset I decided not to completely repaint this one, It's intended to be a 'quick and dirty'.

Back to my favourite subject of wagons now! :locomotive: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well that's it, Dragon Steels has been seen in the public eye for the first time. I hope those that saw the layout at the small layout show in Cardiff yesterday enjoyed it, even though it does need more detail adding.

The layout ran reasonably well although there are a few things on the snagging list that need looking at. I did have a few problems with Kadee couplings and I really must upgrade the pick ups on the resident pilot as the running did start getting a bit erratic near the end of the day.

I didn't get chance to take any pictures but hopefully some will appear in the show thread.

It was great to meet some new fellow members from here, in particular Baz of Shepcoat lane who's excellent layout I was next to, was nice to see the working tippler in acation. And also nice to meet Rivercider as well who made the trip up from Weston for the show.

I must also thank the Rolley brothers and Peter Lord of Lord and Butler for inviting this ramshackle layout to this little show. Sorry about the black paint chaps!

thanks all and here's to the next one!

• Like 4

Enjoyed seeing  dragon steels in the flesh ! keep up the good work and get your layout finished (says he whose taken three years) , nice to see the class 37/9 with scratch built roof , if you require the details for asw blackadders that i built, just let me know and will try and find me old drawings!

Would also like thank the brothers Rolley and lord and butler for putting on the show, same time and place next year ! ?

Baz

• Like 1

Hi,

A few pics of the layout at it's first show have been sent to me from a friend.

post-6773-0-03687500-1453747825.jpg

08664 kicks around an empty BDA

post-6773-0-83412500-1453747881.jpg

08664 from inside the coil warehouse

post-6773-0-30501900-1453747974.jpg

37904 awaits the off with the last train of the day formed of empty POA 'Blackadders' and VBA vans.

Cheers

• Like 14

Thanks for the kind comments gents.

Baz - Yes I may be in touch about the Blackadders at some point.

Tony - Thanks, I'll try and visit the Ponty show but it will depend on work as I'm not sure where I am that far ahead yet.

Marc - Thank you sir, coming from you that means a lot. I know you've been waiting to see the layout for some time and I do hope you weren't disappointed? 

It's been a long long road to this first show as the first timber was cut around 2009. It's taken me so long partly because I kept changing the track layout so much until I decided I was happy with it, then I decided to narrow the layout so it would fit in my car and also through the loft hatch and amongst other things the time has flown. This plus a point where a break was taken while dad was quite unwell.

During this time, people have planned and built several layouts, in particular Marc and paul.

Previous occasions on taking a layout out have been with a club or group so to exhibit something myself has been a good experience and I'm proud of myself for having done it. Would I do it again?... Well yes but I think I'd like to keep to local events maybe once or twice a year.

I now have a post show snagging list to keep me busy for a bit, once that has been ticked off then I'll think about the next one which is still in planning at the moment.

Anyway sorry for rambling on.

Cheers,

• Like 4

Not disappointed at all Wayne - really good to see it
Yes, building a layout can take an awfully long time - even a small layout...

And we all start off with very grand designs and schemes, but seeing them through to completion is a task in itself

I don't know how I managed to build 4 layouts in two years back a short while ago (or is it a long while now? lol)
And it's always good to make sure you can fit the layout into your car, your spare room (or wherever it will live) and of course, your life
Dragon steels is looking great Wayne. Yes, I have waited a while to see it
..... but like standing on a bridge, camera at the ready, while a top & tail 37 special is running late..... when it arrives, it's worth it :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been a bit quiet on here lately, but I have been busy with a few things. One thing I didn't have time for before the show was to build some wagon loads and as a result I didn't have any wagons arriving with steel Billet for the works.

This had to addressed, so recently I've made a start on this as a 'fill in job' between other projects.

The billet is nothing more simple than plastruct strip which just needs painting up and some securing straps adding.

Cheers

post-6773-0-66238700-1457453320.jpg

Edited by Wayne 37901

• 2 months later...

Good evening,

Haven't had the layout out for a play since the small layout show so I decided to take a break and pop along the fence at Dragon Steels to hopefully catch a shunt of the works.

When I got to the usual vantage point the move was in full swing as resident pilot 08664 drew up some BDAs loaded with Billet before running round and taking them off into the works.

post-6773-0-13826000-1462738243.jpg

It then returned to position some loaded scrap wagons for propelling to the scrap bays and also sent an empty OCA and SSA to the exchange sidings for adding to a service to Tees yard later in the day.

post-6773-0-02566600-1462738300.jpg

A quick shot was taken of SSA 470095 for the wagon folder.

post-6773-0-42623100-1462738441.jpg

And finally, what Sunday would be complete without some engineering works. Once all the shunting had finished 37012 arrived to run round a ballast train before taking part in a drop along the branch to the works.

post-6773-0-97338200-1462738624.jpg

After watching that depart it was time to head home as I had ran out of sarnies and the flask of tea was empty.

• Like 11

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only just seen this! What a superb steelworks setting and simple, but enjoyable track plan.  Really well done.  Any plans to extend or add to it at all, or are you exhibiting anywhere this year?

Rich

• 3 months later...

Hi rich,

I'm sorry, I missed your post somehow.

To answer your questions there are no plans to extend or exhibit the layout this year, quite the opposite in fact as I'm looking to move it on partly to make room for the next project and also because I now model in EM gauge.

Thanks for the kind words.

• 3 weeks later...

Any new updates my mate...

cheers neil.

Hi Neil,

Nothing new to report at the moment but I will be getting the layout out soon to look it over and make some repairs as I'll be selling it to make room for the next one. I've also moved into EM gauge modelling so I'd rather focus on one scale.

I'll post an update soon but that will probably be the last one.

Thanks for stopping by though.

Cheers