Dragon Steels, South Wales metals traffic 1990-1992

Wayne 37901

Just a quickie update on things.

Work on the photo plank is progressing well and thanks to a rummage through some old fox transfers packs at Lord and Butler I've been able to source what I need for the next 37 which will pass through the works, but more on that soon.

Cheers.

Those black adders are staying very firmly in the locality of Rosamund street. Sorry.

But the trestles are much more mobile and can travel short distances at no cost.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to make do with the SSAs until I can get some.

I'll be in touch about the trestles.

Cheers.

PS: Parcels Point is coming along nicely.

• Like 1

Just a quickie update on things.

Work on the photo plank is progressing well and thanks to a rummage through some old fox transfers packs at Lord and Butler I've been able to source what I need for the next 37 which will pass through the works, but more on that soon.

Cheers.

Looking forward to see another "37" :no:

cheers neil..

Good evening,

Thought I'd post up a quick picture of the work on the photo plank.

post-6773-0-09798300-1403811549_thumb.jpg

Still more to do but things are looking good so far. The plan is to wire the track for power so I can use it to test locos and I may install a signal as well.

Cheers

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon,

Been a bit quiet on here but there has been some modelling going on. Not much to look at but here's the current state of play with the photo plank and the BDAs.

post-6773-0-16505700-1404576166_thumb.jpg

The card in the centre of the wagon is a reminder of details for that particular wagon, a useful idea for modelling individual wagons as it avoids the need to constantly refer to the photos.

Weathering is next for the BDAs and some basic detailing on the plank, I may add a fence along the back but will see.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 5

Back after visiting a visit to the Penarth show, not a bad little event and got talking some familiar faces.

Didn't come away with anything but had a nice chat with a chap on our experiences of Kadee couplings.

I should have an update during the week on the modelling side of things.

Cheers

Good morning,

Thought I would post up a quick picture of the work so far on weathering the BDA decks to gauge opinion on how they look.

post-6773-0-98594100-1405755652_thumb.jpg

The wagon sitting on the cutting matt has had slightly more done to the bolsters. The weathering has been done using only three colours so far, but mixing them up on an old container lid has given subtle variations. The base coat was mixed up from four colours to give a grey shade that if applied with neat paint wouldn't have looked right at all. I know this because I tried that out on the wagon I was experimenting from.

So what do people think so far? Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

Good afternoon,

It's been quite some since I've posted in here, mainly because I've been busy building stock.

A very kind donation from a fellow member on here means I can now set the layout up by itself rather than using the workmate as before. This also means I can now get the fiddle sorted properly.

Pictures when I've got time to upload them.

Cheers

• Like 2

good to see and hear your still active, watch out the Yule tide spends don't trip up progress.

Got two weeks off coming up myself, and no funds.

Call over for a catch up when your next passing Cogan,

Paul.

Thanks chaps,

Paul

Yes it's possible but I have most of what I need I think, will just have to buy some timber to build a fiddle yard. Thanks again for the trestle, I finally managed to pick up another yesterday so can now see how it will look set up.

Brian

Thanks very much, although there was a bit of a cake disaster so no no birthday cake for me.

I'd be interested in how you do your stock boxes as I'm looking for something to store the kit built steel stock in.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening,

I've been a little quiet on here but I've still been beavering away, mostly on stock so that I actually have something to run.

Should have an update soon, but in the meantime I'd like to thank all the followers for staying tuned in and bearing with me and also those that have offered tips, advice etc. In particular I must thank Mark Smith and Brian/Paul Rolley because without there help and encouragement I probably would have given up long ago.

Happy New Year to everyone and happy modelling for 2015.

All the best.

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year, Wayne.

Careful with the beavering though......still an offence in parts of Norfolk..

Rob

Ohhhh, that was nice, better than a pressie.......

The invite is still open when your passing dude.

And I have the scrap wagon rolling stock off castle works and that which was made by Baz

So when it's time for the public unveiling you can borrow that too.

happy new year and joyous fiddling to one and all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Meant to post something sooner but I've had lots on. I've been doing quite a few scenic experiments lately but I wasn't happy with how things looked, so I went through the scenic box and went back to some turf and lichen. Although lichen seems to have gone out of style these days I think it's quite good for adding heavy undergrowth.

Paul - thanks again for the invite, we had a good time.

I will post up some pics soon, but I need to find a way to upload them at the library.

Cheers,