The Old Road - a Hampshire byway

SouthernRegionSteam

• RMweb Premium

I had a quick go with Anyrail yesterday but couldn't find m easy way of keeping a sensible (say 3%) gradient between Ringwood and Breamore within the available width, although I didn't try splitting the gradient between the two lines, i.e. one down one up. Mind you the woodwork is getting pretty complicated going this route

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, I was wondering how steep the gradients would have to be to go to the lower level. I gathered it would have to be quite steep because as you say there is only a small width available. The other trouble with having the gradients there is the fact that it would be on a curve - something doesn't seem quite right having gradients on sharp curves.

• RMweb Premium

Plan D would be to hide the right hand half of the Ringwood loop behind Breamore, but on the same level; moving Breamore towards the centre of the shed a few inches.

That means tightening the curves into Breamore a bit, and providing access to the Ringwood return loop, behind a backscene maybe.

• RMweb Gold

It's funny you should just mention that. I was just looking at Alan's Wencombe when I realised he had two seperate fiddle yards - one for the branch and one for the main line. I then thought what if I had the same but instead of having the branch fiddle yard have the actual station there. Great minds think alike!

On the old RMweb it was suggested that I make the branch fiddleyard the branch terninus station, which I did think about, but I'm gald a I didn't as it made altering the main line fiddleyard far easier than it would have been with a branch station. In fact as i work on the timetable for Wencombe I might reduce the branch fiddleyard to a single line with just peco loco lift type cassettes

• RMweb Gold

Hmm. Would a solution on my part be to have the branch station as a removable board using bolts and wing nuts then to allow access every now and again should I need to adjust the main fiddle yard? I was tempted to have the whole layout as semi-permanent fixture so I can take it to selected exhibitions. However, I'm not sure it would work because the branch station would be on the inside out of easy public view. Also, what would I do about the outside loops for the mainline - it isn't really feasible. Ho hum...

Not to sure where each of your fiddle yards are in relation to each other, but my problem was they were next to each other therefore making the branch one a station would have made the later alteration almost impossible without removing the branch station had I built it.

I can't do 1938 goods trains, but in 1953 there were two each way allocated to class 700s. Southbound there was an 04.05 from Salisbury to B'mth Central which called at Fordingbridge from 05.08 to 05.18, passing West Moors at 05.12, another from Milford to B'mth West at 10.00 calling at F'bridge from 11.38 to 12.18 and, coming back, both from Wimborne, an 18.23 calling at F'bridge from 18.23 to 18.43 and an 18.40 passing West Moors at 18.58 calling at F'bridge from 19.52 to 20.38.

JE

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since my last post as I've been very busy recently what with uni starting. Also of course we had the 2011 challenge which kept me busy. After this next week is over I will have more time to sort out the layout plan. I haven't really got very far since the start of this topic and I seem to be going back and forth with the layout plans. I had a little plan on a rail simulator last night which gave me this:

post-6776-0-01848700-1323516588_thumb.png

post-6776-0-04609700-1323516633_thumb.png

P.S. Ignore the NSE unit!

However, I am still not happy with the branch line. I have shown it on the screenshot as a terminus branch station, but in reality I'm not sure it's the best plan of action, especially considering the prototype had links to the main line at both ends.

I think that one half of the layout should definitely depict a whole station on the mainline such as Ringwood with concentration on perhaps a fairly large number of goods sidings or something.

I'm completely open to suggestions though. The combined level crossing/bridge over river and crossing cottage is definitely something I would like to include in the layout.

Guest oldlugger

Hello Jam,

This should be a really lovely layout with lots of operational interest. Maybe just doing the project in stages, each of which could have trains running quite quickly, and then slowly bring each of the stages together to form the whole layout over time. I'd love to have a larger layout like this but we have no space or cash here sadly!

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hello Jam,

This should be a really lovely layout with lots of operational interest. Maybe just doing the project in stages, each of which could have trains running quite quickly, and then slowly bring each of the stages together to form the whole layout over time. I'd love to have a larger layout like this but we have no space or cash here sadly!

Thanks Simon!

I think you're probably right there. I normally do everything at once, however as this is such a big project I think that would be impractical. Now I've thought about it a little, I would probably do all the boards at one time and most of the track work. The scenics and buildings would be built on one section of the layout first before I move onto the next. I envisage building structures so that they can be dropped into the scenery by putting them on foam board bases which can then be dropped easily into the polystyrene contours of the land.

I'm ashamed to say I went a bit mad today and went into 'dream mode'. So here is my dream layout:

post-6776-0-21613400-1323527195.png

I think I'd be VERY lucky to get away with anything like that in a 10' by 8' shed! Very lucky indeed!

• RMweb Gold

Definitely Peter. I explored with some old track I had lying around on a previous page of this topic and found that it was a smaller space than I had anticipated. (Edit: here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43460-the-old-road-a-hampshire-byway/page__view__findpost__p__477653)

I think the only way I'm going to get the layout of my dreams is to use gradients. Not ideal I know, but without a barn I think it is my only choice!

Thanks for your help though, it is appreciated. Over the next few weeks I'll get the old track out again and have a proper look at what can be done in the space available. Compromise is the modellers worst fear come true!

• RMweb Gold

I've been having a tinker with XtrkCad today and started thinking about moving the mainline station to the top (longer) section of the layout.

XtrkCad is useful, but I'm not a fan of the way you have to rotate things and connect them manually if you want for example a curve to go the opposite way.

Still, I musn't grumble - after all it is free to use!

Dad also dropped a bombshell on me today - just when I thought I was sure I was going to do it in OO gauge, he mentioned N gauge again. I quickly pointed out that the MN and BoB Graham Farish locos are not particularly great with which he agreed, but having a little look deeper I see that the GF Ivatts and the Dapol Q1 are lovely models...

The problem with N gauge would be scratchbuilding I feel, however, I love the idea of full scale length trains and sweeping curves.

It's a really tricky situation at the moment!

• RMweb Premium

Dad also dropped a bombshell on me today - just when I thought I was sure I was going to do it in OO gauge, he mentioned N gauge again. I quickly pointed out that the MN and BoB Graham Farish locos are not particularly great with which he agreed, but having a little look deeper I see that the GF Ivatts and the Dapol Q1 are lovely models...

But I believe Dapol are due to release these in 2012. Check this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45793-Dapol-october-annoucements-no-longer-secret/ for more details of the proposed Bullied Pacifics from them.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

I tried laying out what track I had lying around on the lounge floor to just double check the above plan works. It does seem to be fine, although It was hard to be sure because I only had bits of settrack and few lengths of straight track. Also, the floor space was a bit smaller than the 10 x 8 ft which made it a little tricky - especially as the Xmas tree was in the way!

Just to help you all (and me!) visualise the plan a bit more:

post-6776-0-59736300-1324222452_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A cattle grid in 4mm/1:76

It was only whilst looking around the village today that I realised there was something I have never seen modelled before: a cattle grid. Now as I will be building some of the buildings in my village anyway, it seemed the perfect excuse to build this commonplace feature of The New Forest.

Incidentally, the cattle grid doesn't always live up to its purpose. Horses in particular can be seen to roll over the grids in order to get across! I have run out of the tubing for the last third of the grid, and thus I haven't started painting or detailing it yet, but I hope you find this interesting!

DSCF9363.JPG

_

DSCF9365.JPG

_

DSCF9366.JPG

_

DSCF9370.JPG

Some light reading...

Also in our village, and coincidentally, nearby the cattle grid, is the reading room.

This is a small corrugated iron hut used I believe for the parish council from time to time.

Here are a sequence of photos showing the construction of the model from Slaters products and Wills sheets as well as some plastruct sections.

Just by way of comparison, here is the real thing:

_

DSCF9371.JPG

_

DSCF9374.JPG

_

DSCF9375.JPG

_

DSCF9377.JPG

_

DSCF9383.JPG

more to follow...

• RMweb Gold

I think the horses may have been learning from the Forest of Dean Sheep.

Regarding the space /layout I always think it is a mistake to cram too much in, knowing what to leave out is important. One thing I do believe is that off stage space to store trains ready to enter the layout when wanted is important. Otherwise you end up with too much stock on the layout spoiling the effect.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I suppose I should think about a fiddle yard. I have avoided it so far, but it needs to be thought about before I start building the shed (not for another few months I don't think).

It would probably have to be some sort of underboard system, perhaps a traverser so I can pull it out and change stock when needed. Not sure how access would work though. It would have to be off a junction from the mainline somewhere inside the shed. I'll give this some more thought tomorrow when I'm more awake!

• RMweb Gold

Now long gone, this is a model of Breamore platform shelter which was situated opposite the main platform building. I had only two useful photos to work from so bits of it may well be incorrect, but I am happy with it for now. I haven't included the circular decorative ring that sits inside the canopy supports, this will come later when I work out how to make it! The roof has not been glued on hence the big gaps - it also needs trimming back a bit.

Here is a photo showing the shelter on the left:

http://www.disused-s...ld1_april64.jpg

By the way, Breamore is pronounced 'Bremmer' not 'Braymore' as most people assume!

The only thing is, I am a little bit worried that I have made it too big...

DSCF9424.JPG

See my blog: http://jamsmodelrail...ng-shelter.html for construction details and more photos!

• RMweb Gold

Breamore Station - Part I

So, the construction has been started of the station building at Breamore. There is a fine model built by Bill Jones in existence which I will not be able to better, but as long as it looks something like the prototype I'll be happy! So far I've got the walls shown below plus another on the other side which can just be seen in the background.

Construction should recommence tomorrow, so 'till next time...

DSCF9426.JPG

• RMweb Gold

Breamore Station - Part II

DSCF9429.JPG

All the component parts cut for the walls (half a days work!)

DSCF9431.JPG

Use a square to ensure the accuracy of your corners.

DSCF9433.JPG

The building is progressing further, with 6 walls now up...

DSCF9434.JPG

A useful tip - use a pair of thin nosed pliers to bend and break off parts where there is only a thin section to avoid twisting and deformation.

DSCF9435.JPG

All the walls now glued up and ready for part iii...

Any corners that are not very neat (such as the one in the photo above) will eventually be filled.

I did use a belt sander set at 45 degrees to try and get a neat edge, but it didn't quite work as well as I had hoped!

• RMweb Gold

Breamore Station - Part III

Now, moving onto the latest instalment of the Breamore Station saga!

This has been quite a difficult build, particularly with the roof construction. The smaller pitched roof is very wonky and the whole thing isn't quite as good as it should be, so it needs a little fettling yet. I have started the fascias, but I will complete that tomorrow. The fascias do a very useful job of hiding the gaps between the roof and the walls.

I have been putting the windows off until I paint the building. The columns will also be done later as well as the chimneys. Although there are things that could be improved, it is coming along nicely and I am still pleased with it.

DSCF9475.JPG

DSCF9476.JPG

DSCF9478.JPG

DSCF9479.JPG

DSCF9480.JPG

DSCF9481.JPG

DSCF9483.JPG

DSCF9486.JPG

Hope you are finding the construction of these buildings interesting. If you have any questions about the specifics or the construction just ask away - I'd be happy to answer them.

• RMweb Gold

So the next structure I have decided to make a representation of is Breamore mill bridge. The neighbouring lattice bridge is far beyond my modelling capabilities though!

There is still much to do on the bridge, for example, I need to do the capping stones on the parapet, the inside parapet walls, the brick lining inside the arches, the concrete foundations, the wing walls and of course painting and weathering it!

The following photos should help you to see how I started the build process. Sorry about the orientation of the last photo, I forgot to change it...

DSCF9488.JPG DSCF9489.JPG

DSCF9490.JPG DSCF9491.JPG

DSCF9492.JPG DSCF9493.JPG

DSCF9494.JPG DSCF9498.JPG

Archived