The Old Road - a Hampshire byway

SouthernRegionSteam

• RMweb Gold

I decided to carry on late into the night as I was talking to a friend, so I painted the train shed roof and planked ends. Having looked at both the footbridge and train shed, I think they could do with another layer of paint in some areas just to tidy it up a bit. I also painted the rooflight surrounds on the station canopy in the pale yellow.

There should be an update later on as well...

post-6776-0-02179000-1327572852_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-83682100-1327572891_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-06868300-1327572925_thumb.jpg

If anyone feels this thread is too photo intensive, drop me a comment and I'll try and reduce the number of images. Any surplus images will always be on my external blog anyway.

Hi Jam,

You've inspired me to pull my finger out and get going with my model of Marchwood station! This was helped by the purchase of the 'Southern Rails around Southampton' book at the Southampton show today with some more pictures etc. Just wondered what thickness of sheet you used for the construction of yours and what you used to attach it all together? I've had a look back through but can't see it mentioned. Thought I'd scrounge any tips before I start as I've tended to build kts before rather than scratchbuild!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter!

I'm glad this thread has inspired you to start building your model of Marchwood station. Hopefully I can provide a few hints and tips for scratch-building - although I am no expert, trust me!

The thickness of Plastikard I use is 0.40". This is rigid enough for buildings, but not too thick that it becomes cumbersome to cut. You can brace the insides of buildings, but to be quite honest, I haven't needed to yet. A must is a set square - preferably metal throughout. (But get a fairly small one, unlike my cumbersome big one.) To glue the plastikard together, I use Revell Contacta professional liquid glue. These come with a fine nozzle, although mine became blocked!

Another think I feel I should point out is mitring the corners. There are a few ways of doing this - sanding it by hand, using a sanding disc (if you should happen to own one), or using a sharp craft knife. When I build structures, windows are always the last thing to be added (because then you don't have to mask them off when you paint/weather the building). It is probably best to build a sub-base for it even if it is just some of the 0.40" glued to the underneath of the building. The set square is used to keep all the walls at 90 degrees, which is pretty crucial as I'm sure you can imagine. The easiest way to cut is to use a sharp knife several times in a row and then bend it back and forth until it snaps. Should you need to break off something small, use a pair of thin nosed pliers to grip it easily.

If you want anything more specific, I can try and point you in the right direction with some more tips. Oh and by the way, when you do get round to making windows, the way I do it is to use some clear plastic (such as you get from the packaging the Wills sheets or similar come in) and then cut adhesive labels into thin strips to use for window frames.

Scratch-building is very satisfying, you can get some visible results fairly quickly. I hope I haven't put you off - I'm not known for concise explanation!

• RMweb Gold

The construction of the South Charford bridge has been started so I thought I'd post a few photos. The bottom two are a montage with the panorama I took at the real site. It doesn't quite work due to the angle I took the photo of the model, but it's OK if you don't look at it for too long! Still a load to do on the bridge, so it is in no way, shape or form finished.

post-6776-0-19433400-1327866041_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-07631200-1327866106.jpg

post-6776-0-38191500-1327866127.jpg

Jam

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress at last!

Yesterday I set about building a couple signal boxes for Ringwood. Ground frame 'A' and Ground Frame 'B'. Ground Frame 'A being the small box, and Ground Frame 'B' being the larger box. (I assume this was an LSWR No.1 box)? Ground Frame 'B' used to be 'East Box' until 1929 where it had been de-promoted.

DSCF9798.JPG

I'll try finishing off both boxes today so hopefully there will be an update later on. I did mess up the larger box as I made the gap for the windows 8mm to low initially (quite a big mistake!). I have managed to scrounge enough materials to finish it off though. The porch will also need heightening later. The window frames and porch supports are just small bits of plasticard (not sure what size, sorry!). It is also quite obvious that a lot of the window uprights have set at a slight angle which will need to be rectified if possible. Then comes the satisfying bit - painting!

DSCF9803.JPG

Above: The floor is removable in this shot to allow me to add the lower window and door in the locking room.

DSCF9804.JPG

Above: Simple supports for the upper floor!

DSCF9807.JPG

Above: The porch and back wall taking shape (it's 8mm too low at this point).

DSCF9811.JPGAbove:Slightly wonky window supports - these will be adjusted in due course

DSCF9814.JPG

Above: As it stands currently. The hipped roof is going to be a pain - I can see that now! The roof will be removable to allow me to add an interior once all the buildings and main scenery landforms are completed.

More to come later...

• RMweb Gold

A bit more...

More window frames have been built, the porch is nearing completion and the back wall has been heightened. Also, the basic roof structure is done awaiting a stove pipe and ridge tiles.

post-6776-0-35166200-1328971880_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-81423100-1328972011_thumb.jpg

I hope you find these photos interesting, and that it might persuade some of you to give scratch-building a go. Maybe it will even be helpful for when any of you begin scratch-building in the future, I don't know. Anyway, next job is to finish the steps and construct the doors - then it's painting time!

• RMweb Premium

One of the things I love about RMweb are the developmental stages of peoples' layouts. Very instructive and very suggestive of new ideas.

This is a great thread, Jam. I'm not an SR man myself (being as I'm from "up North"!!), but the ongoing developments and accompanying images are excellent.

Keep posting!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

It's comments like that Jeff that make it all worthwhile and make me smile inside - thank you!

I'm very glad you are enjoying following the progress, I do like to keep a record of the construction stages, even if it is just a memento, but if people are gaining enjoyment and use out of these photos then that's even better.

• RMweb Gold

And so now for the last update of the day!

The following photos show the signal box painted into Southern Region green and cream. Still to do is the porch roof, the windows (which will probably lift the look of the box immensely) and also the stove pipe and ridge tiles still. I hope you'll agree that it's character is finally coming to life! I must add though, I have deviated from the design of the prototype to make it narrower as I felt the prototype looked a bit too 'square'!

DSCF9831.JPG

DSCF9832.JPG

DSCF9837.JPG

DSCF9839.JPG

Thanks for all your support so far, it means a great deal!

Jam

• RMweb Premium

It's a good job we have digital photography, Jam. The rate at which you are posting images, you'd have bankrupted yourself with film!

Thanks for the updates. I shall keep my eye on progress - and maybe "steal" one or two of your ideas!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff and Simon, thanks again for your kind comments.

Haha, yes, thank goodness for the digital age, it would be a nightmare trying to record my progress otherwise.

Help yourself to any ideas you like the look of - you are most welcome to them.

Simon, the steps were something of a labour of love - very fiddly, but well worth the effort. I'm very much still enjoying watching your progress of Roads A-C! It's coming on nicely.

Not sure what I'll be up to today, I may get a chance to lay some track out again and just see how it all looks with the buildings that I have currently started. I'll see if I can persuade myself to do some windows for the 'box too. If not, then I will at least try and complete the other ground frame box.

Jam

Edit - Just noticed the locking room window opening is a bit rough around the top, I'll sort that out today as well...

• RMweb Gold

I've attached a couple photos. Unfortunately I didn't really get anywhere today, but I did manage to set out two boards to see if it all works in harmony. I did take a panorama showing the whole lot, but there is so much clutter I haven't uploaded it. I'll retry tomorrow I think!

I had been hoping to get the small ground frame done, but nevermind!

post-6776-0-35606100-1329073989_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-38893900-1329074065_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Haven't had the time to keep track of your progress and reflect on it at the same time in recent weeks...so let me just say I'm delighted about how you are getting on with your layout, Jam :) . I guess if I had a shed like that I would long have launched a layout of mine as well...eight by ten feet looking like a suitable size for what I would have in mind as well.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dom!

I know you've been very busy lately, so it is completely understandable that you have had little time to reflect on much else than your revision!

I think I might be taking a bit of a risk building the layout before the shed, but we'll see I guess. I am planning to design the boards and thus the layout so that it can be removable. I intend to future-proof the layout as much as possible. There is the possibility that I might make it an exhibition layout in due course, although how this will be arranged as such I am not sure!

One thing that I still haven't sorted out (i've been too distracted by building the structures!) is the fiddle yard.. or yards!

I had completely forgotten that this is still outstanding, and so I think I'll spend a little time before my next lecture working out a few possibilities. Some have already been put forward by members of the forum earlier on in the thread, so I will revisit these.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Matt!

Once the windows and weathering is done, as well as some small details, I'm hoping it will lift the look of the buildings further.

Speaking of which, I'm currently adding the windows to the small ground frame. I really find windows mind-numbingly boring, so I'll start with the smallest structure first.

I doubt I will be able to post photos before my internet dies though for the day (don't ask!).

• RMweb Gold

PHEW! That's that done - windows!

Took an age, but I hope you'll agree the results are well worth it. See for yourself!:

gallery_6776_1904_105291.jpg

gallery_6776_1904_61260.jpg

gallery_6776_1904_337217.jpg

gallery_6776_1904_56865.jpg

I have to admit, these photos are rather cruel close ups and do show every fault glaringly, but I'm just glad the character of the box is finally where I want it. (Really must fill in the void under the roof). Jobs still to do include drain pipes, stove pipe, nameboard and the bargeboards. Oh, and the two doors.)

Thanks for continuing to read at what I like to call my 'scrapbook journal'!

Jam

Archived