The Old Road - a Hampshire byway

SouthernRegionSteam

• RMweb Gold

And the final structure of the night - barn no.1

Here is the first barn that I will be building for the layout. It is based on one of the two barns adjacent to Breamore Mill. The roof construction is fairly complicated - I really don't like doing roofs as you can tell!

I chose to model it because it is such a characteristic building with lovely features. The one that most stands out are the holes in the walls (much like a pill box). This is a defended barn building.

DSCF9500.JPG

DSCF9502.JPG

DSCF9504.JPG

Tomorrow will see the construction of a lovely quaint village bus shelter and maybe something completely on the other end of the scale - Breamore mill itself!

• RMweb Gold

A quaint country bus stop.

Had a power cut today, so I didn't get much modelling done unfortunately. I did eventually manage to build the basics of the waiting shelter. I think you'll agree - a fine quaint little building!

The components parts laid out ready for adding the corner mitres:

DSCF9513.JPG

DSCF9517.JPG

The almost finished product, complete with out-of-place Southdown bus!

Just painting, ridge tiles and some internal detailing to do. Oh, and a gate to keep the horses and ponies out!

I hope you are enjoying following the construction of these structures. As usual, ask away!

• RMweb Gold

I started painting the station and waiting shelter today. The canopy, cement rendered wall and door/window frames have been painted and the main walls have been washed over in a cream colour to get the mortar colour. More work is yet to be done on the brickwork though. There is still a heck of a lot of fettling to do - especially with the station building roof and fascias. I have added window frames but will put windows in another day. Chimneys will also be done next week some when.

(Click images for larger versions)

DSCF9533.JPG

DSCF9524.JPG

DSCF9530.JPG

DSCF9529.JPG

DSCF9528.JPG

DSCF9525.JPG

• RMweb Gold

Although uni life has taken over me yet again as I'm being bombarded with assignments left right an centre, I still wanted to make visible progress on the layout. I decided I would work till about 3pm on the layout today and do some uni work afterwards. Yesterday saw the main construction of the station masters house at Breamore. The roof is not fixed yet so I can do the windows at a later date. I hadn't realised just how much it towers over the station building itself.

This morning I set about cutting out the platform tops for Breamore and I've got a sheet of ply waiting to be marked out for cutting this board. Before you all shout at me for starting board construction in advance of the shed actually being built I should say that I have decided the layout should be removable and that I should allow fairly big tolerances to get it in and out easier. I think we're looking at board sizes of around 3ft x 4ft.

post-6776-0-03562000-1326630500_thumb.jpg

Hopefully there might be a bit more of an update later...

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Glenn!

I will probably be using Peco platform sides (both the brick and concrete versions as per the prototype). I've got some 60 thou (I think!) plasticard for the tops. Then I can do one of three things - either;

1) Paint

2) Add a custom paper texture

3) Add a thin layer of air drying clay and paint

I'm not yet sure which I will do - I'll let you know when I've experimented.

To brace the platforms I will probably glue them to a softwood batten for strength.

Hope that answers your question.

Jam

Thank you Glenn!

I will probably be using Peco platform sides (both the brick and concrete versions as per the prototype). I've got some 60 thou (I think!) plasticard for the tops. Then I can do one of three things - either;

1) Paint

2) Add a custom paper texture

3) Add a thin layer of air drying clay and paint

I'm not yet sure which I will do - I'll let you know when I've experimented.

To brace the platforms I will probably glue them to a softwood batten for strength.

Hope that answers your question.

Jam

I am using emery cloth on Black Notley. Great texture and it looks like tarmac

See the thread

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Ah, yes, that's another option. I guess you use the finest grade available?

Well two of the 6 boards have had their top cut out today. The board with Breamore station being one of them.

I find it imperative that you lay out some old track on the floor just to test it all works. Even if it is just laid roughly on carpet such as the below example! Note the wool being used to mark out the board joins (which I later amended slightly).

post-6776-0-38627000-1326644313_thumb.jpg

Excuse the backgrounds of these ones:

post-6776-0-27901000-1326644335_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-04296900-1326644474_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-10187500-1326644368.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Just a sketch to show a slight alternative. The scale is non-existent and as it was drawn late last night it is very rough around the edges. I want the scenery to be typical Hampshire marshland and rolling countryside - to me, capturing the atmosphere of the area is a huge priority.

post-6776-0-19095200-1326896031.jpg

Ah, yes, and I have a question:

At Ringwood, the goods shed was sited at a strange angle to the running lines (much like Wareham still has). The only access being via a small wagon turntable. My question is this - Why did the LSWR decide to build it like that rather than have it parallel so it could be accessed easier? Was there a particular advantage?

• RMweb Gold

Moving on to another main structure for the layout - this is, or rather will be, Ringwood Station. Photos are lacking of two elevations of the prototype and so a lot of guess work has had to be used. Dimensions are almost entirely guesswork, although I did scale up an N gauge model of Holmsley to help get basic proportions right. The following photos show the basic shell construction.

DSCF9584.JPG

DSCF9591.JPG

DSCF9593.JPG

DSCF9590.JPG

DSCF9589.JPG

DSCF9587.JPG

I hope you are following the progress with interest, and feel free to add suggestions and alterations that I should probably make!

• RMweb Gold

As is always the case with building structures in this hobby of ours, you always find the perfect reference photo(s) AFTER you think you have finished the shell of the building. Such was the case today. As I found my reference book, I realised I'd missed numerous things:

1) An entire gable end extension on the rear of the building

2) Two windows

3) One door

4) A window that should be a door

So I rectified a few of these, and this is the result thus far:

DSCF9595.JPG

This photo shows both the porch and the gable end (on the left) that had to be added since discovery of a couple photos. It also shows the window that should be a door (to the left of the porch).

DSCF9599.JPG

A lower view of the same.

DSCF9600.JPG

An overall view, including the (very) roughly positioned canopy . (Just look at all those roofs and windows I have to do!!)

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Simon and Ian!

Your comments are appreciated.

I have to agree, it is quite a big project, but I'm determined to see it through right to the end (even if it drives me mad!).

Ian, it is mostly square, although there are a few bits where it is slightly off in some places. It's not really noticeable though, so I'm not going to worry. I'll probably make a start on the roof today (which will be the real test if it is square or not!). Using a square whilst assembling the walls makes an obvious difference as eyes often deceive you into thinking something is straight when it's not!

Guest oldlugger

Your track plan really works very well Jam; you've packed plenty of interest in a small space without making it cramped or overcrowded. It will be fun to operate!

All the best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thank you again Simon!

Track plans aren't my strong subject, and I'm not sure on whether they will work well or not, but I did go for a simple layout on purpose - I don't want a maze of track work with 50 odd points. I want there to be space for scenery.

So today was another modelling day - the work below taking around 5 hours ish. The roof wasn't too complicated - there was just lots of it to do! I also realised I needed to brick up a window after the gable I missed out yesterday encroached into it. I thought that although accidental, it would be an interesting thing to model anyway. The canopy was also added onto the platform side of the building, and skylights also constructed form styrene and corrugated glazing. They need a bit of tidying up though and some battens inside wouldn't go amiss either. I wasn't going to do the skylights, but I'm glad I made the effort to do so as they make a big difference to the overall appearance. I think they'll look great with the sun shining through them onto the platform below too.

On with the photos!

DSCF9611.JPG

DSCF9615.JPG

DSCF9616.JPG

DSCF9612.JPG

DSCF9604.JPG

DSCF9607.JPG

• RMweb Gold

And whilst I am on a roll, here will be the next structure to be built - the train shed. This is a traditional wooden structure (with a brick wall along one side) and the usual canopy type column supports on the other (with some very fancy brackets I might add!).

DSCF9620.JPG

Here I a marking out the wooden planks for the underside of the roof - all 140 ish of them!

DSCF9622.JPG

The underside...

DSCF9623.JPG

...and a start of the roof has been made.

If anyone knows where I can get some fancy brackets I would be grateful!

Thanks in advance!

Fantastic! Very neat work on that complex roof. I've been enjoying following your progress but as I tend to look at RMWeb on my phone these days when I get the chance I keep forgetting to post anything. Keep it up though!

• RMweb Gold

Today after having visited the model shop I got cracking with the next part for the train shed. The corrugated iron was cut out and stuck to the roof. The horizontal joins will be covered over - just like the prototype, and then painted and weathered. The brick back wall also needs to be painted and weathered. Also, I will probably need to make some sort of jig for the roof trusses.

I also made headway on the next structure - the footbridge. It is quite an unusual footbridge, and was especially unusual in that it actually had some sort of roof, unlike most of the other stations in the region. I did have a lot of trouble with this roof though, I will probably need to attend to this later! There is still a lot to do on this structure - and it is all very fiddly.

I hope you agree, it is all starting to come together now!

For photos of the prototype, see the Disused Stations website here:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/r/ringwood/index.shtml

DSCF9649.JPG

DSCF9650.JPG

DSCF9647.JPG

DSCF9648.JPG

• RMweb Gold

So this afternoon I set about painting the footbridge in traditional southern colours. I feel these will need to be toned down slightly. The train shed will receive a similar colour scheme, and I will be spraying the station (if the test piece shows no sign of warping) to get a cement rendering texture/colour.

DSCF9748.JPG

• RMweb Gold

Stu, you're very kind!

The footbridge was a tricky thing to build, and very fiddly. Even if I do have some excellent patience, that really tested me. Still needs a lot of work, but it's getting there. I am pleased with how the station is turning out though, I thought it would be a much trickier build than it was. I think the trick is to take things steady.

By the way, I admired your challenge entries greatly - some great originality there!

Archived