The Old Road - a Hampshire byway

SouthernRegionSteam

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, Jam! I bet there's a steep learning curve to scratchbuilding, is there not?

Though when you'll eventually go about cleaning up what faults may be existing yet, I believe it'd be perfectly fine to not hide all hints of this being a handbuilt structure - after all, manual labour will most certainly have been required in abundance when the real thing was built!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dom!

It certainly is a steep learning curve. But a very rewarding one!

As the layout will be set in the last days of the branch, I'm going to leave some of the faults behind to show a well worn (but not neglected) infrastructure. Faded peeling paintwork, maybe the odd missing wooden plank and general wear and tear. Not sure how I'm going to model this, but it'll be an interesting challenge...

• RMweb Premium

As the layout will be set in the last days of the branch, I'm going to leave some of the faults behind to show a well worn (but not neglected) infrastructure. Faded peeling paintwork, maybe the odd missing wooden plank and general wear and tear. Not sure how I'm going to model this, but it'll be an interesting challenge...

I think that is an excellent idea. Too many layouts - all my previous efforts included - are too perfect and it takes away the realism. And, as was said above, you can then argue that what appear to be faults were actually intentional!

You are tempting me to have a go at a bit of scratchbuilding, though I don't tend to have many buildings as my S&C theme is predominantly scenic.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Jeff. The idea first came to me when I found a photo I took of Breamore station pre-restoration showing a boarded up Breamore Station. OBviously I won't be modelling it in such a dilapidated state, but it did inspire me to create a branch line at the end of it's life.

There is nothing wrong with having a perfect layout - it just seems to look right in model form. One of the hardest things (in my opinion) to achieve on a model railway is to make it look 'unperfect'. When you see something like a leaning telegraph pole - it just looks completely wrong! Yet in the real life how many telegraph poles do you see perfectly vertical? Not many I suspect!

So in a way, although you state your previous layouts were too perfect, they would be in real life, but in model form it often looks right!

I really hope you do find something to scratchbuild on your S&C layout - even if something small like a lineside hut for example.

All the best,

Jam

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jam.

I remember when Model Rail first appeared - must have been 1997-1998 - and they started their "Layouts that Never Leave Home" theme. It was the first time I really noticed that the layouts I preferred were the ones with the broken stone walls, incomplete fencing and general "grot" on buildings and infrastructure. I can't bring myself to weather locos, but I think I will make my signal box a bit more delapidated than I'd previously planned - and if the lineside hut appears, I will dedicate it to you. Lol!!

Baseboard construction should start this summer - when I've finished converting the garage - so who knows, in a year or so I may include a stream of photos to show you whats happening. And if you see something familiar on my layout, you know where I nicked the idea from!! :no: :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I haven't started a thread yet. I insulated the walls of my garage last August, electrician is (hopefully) fitting power in this weekend. Then interior walling, ceiling, carpet etc etc will proceed.

I will start a thread later in the spring. The layout will be called Kirby Luneside, if you want to keep an eye out for it.

As I said in an earlier post, the strength of RMweb is the interchange of ideas between people - who often set out from different starting points. Great fun!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jeff, I'll keep an eye out for it in the future!

Just a quick post to show a rather large visitor to The Old Road...

post-6776-0-46807400-1329409406.jpg

... Freda takes a rest from inspecting the layout! All is approved, although she is worried about the lack of windows in the station building.

:scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Sorry - yet another photo update I'm afraid!

The rear of Breamore station has had windows added. It really is suprisingly how much better it looks with windows. I knew it would improve it, but not to that extent! Although constructing the windows is still a job I hate, at least I know it is definitely worth the time spent on it. I'll be excited when all the windows are done on all the buildings!

post-6776-0-33761400-1329411651_thumb.jpg

That's all for today.

Jam

• RMweb Premium

Please don't apologise - I think we all enjoy looking at your work. Btw, the model feline is a bit out of scale (12 inch: 12inch?!).

Wait 'til I get posting - then you will get sick of my photos (especially the first lot - how photogenic is Kingspan insulation board?)!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

A few bad quality images and a page of drawings!

Here are a 3 bad quality photos I took of Breamore Station pre2000 and pre-restoration.

Although I will not be weathering the model to such a state of decay, I will be modelling the branch in it's final few days (or weeks?). The fact that Breamore station was still standing (and in fairly good condition after 40 years!) means it is a great success story for transport history in the area.

DSCF9896.JPG

DSCF9898.JPG

Also, whilst I am here, I have done a few sketches of the other various buildings I am yet to build for Ringwood station. Details on these buildings is rather sketchy, and I'm reluctant to put craft knife to plasticard. I'm appealing for anyone to spot mistakes in the drawings to let me know. The sketch bottom right has a high percentage of guesswork! I also have very few details of the goods shed (not drawn) at Ringwood so details of that would be very helpful. As far as I understand, the goods shed at Wareham is of similar style (although shorter?).

DSCF9900.JPG

All photos should be clickable for larger versions!

• RMweb Gold

More structure modelling and laying things out!

This morning I wanted to lay out the buildings I had so far just to try and get the general feel of what will become Ringwood Station. So far I think it looks about right, although the signal box will definitely have to move onto the other board on the right to make room for the long platforms. Also the goods sidings will be longer and will also be extended onto the other board (yet to be built).

DSCF9905.JPG

Below: The platform building I built yesterday somewhat based on the original at Ringwood. As you can see, it is still very much a W.I.P. The ventilator on the roof is where the gents toilets were, and I think the first window should actually be a door because of this.

DSCF9914.JPG

DSCF9915.JPG

DSCF9918.JPG

Photos clickable for larger versions.

• RMweb Premium

Dunno, but whatever it looks like, you've got all that to come from me as well!!

Hi Jam,

Do I conclude from your earlier comment that you are planning a room conversion to house "The Old Road"? If so, it should be interesting to compare pics!

Your latest offerings are getting my juices going for a bit of scratchbuilding. I did scratchbuild a viaduct once, long ago - glad it no longer exists as it might be embarrassing compared to what people are now producing. I even cut all the "brickwork" from cork. Maybe I can find a pic...

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Of sorts. It'll be housed in a purpose built shed (which I haven't got round to building yet!). The shed will eventually be fully insulated (hence the insulation board) to keep it at a fairly constant temperature. I also use the same material to form the contours of the scenery because it is so quick to sculpt.

Well, everyone has got to start somewhere, and most people have at least one aspect of model railways that they aren't so good at. Mine are ballasting and electrics! I have to admit though, I don't really like having to construct brick buildings specifically (of which there are loads for this layout!). I prefer stone buildings because clay is so much easier to work with than thick plastic sheets. I do have a couple structures that will be made out of clay to give a stone appearance - one being a 3 arch road bridge. If you can find a pic I'll be interested in seeing your viaduct!

Jam

• RMweb Gold

Blimey! How long did that take you to cut out all those cork bricks?!

That must've been a labour of love. It would've looked good if you had finished it - especially with a bit of paint and weathering. Perhaps having some mortar would have helped as well, although I'm not sure how you might achieve that - maybe filler or clay. It's not far off the design I will be building for my stone 3 arch road bridge. If it will be useful to you I will happily record how I build mine step by step. Maybe even start a new topic for it. I'm not sure when I'll be building it, but I've already got the clay - I might do it soon as a welcome break from using Wills plastic sheets!

• RMweb Premium

Umm... I did actually finish it, though I can't find a completed pic. Took about 3000 bricks and a couple of months. It didn't look good when I tried to paint/weather it - the lack of "mortar" showed up - so, wisely or not, I scrapped it... this is the most complete shot...

post-13778-0-64437400-1329761952_thumb.jpg

I also tried the technique on a long retaining wall. Again, looked fine as bare cork - not good when painted "rock" colour - greyish, to match in with limestone on the rest of my old layout...

Jeff

ps. thanks for the positive comments!

post-13778-0-11539900-1329762087_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

At risk of inundating you, this is what the viaduct transformed into once the cork was removed. I used Slaters and stained it with black acrylic to bring out the texture. I'm sure Wills sheet would work just as well.

post-13778-0-17948600-1329764896_thumb.jpg

I look forward to your efforts with clay or sheet. I'm itching to get modelling again!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff, for what it's worth, the viaduct does look good, even if you did have to remove all the cork bricks from it. And no worries about 'inundation', I don't want this thread to be concise - just a kind of friendly banter thread of rambling thoughts! I do hope you do get modelling again soon. One thing I do need to practice is weathering - and there will be a heck of a lot to do on this layout as well! Particularly with all the buildings.

Handscomb, nah, feel free to tell everyone, I'm just glad you recognise it from my sketch!

What a shame, looks like more visits to the pub are in order - purely to get details for the model you understand (not!).

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Glenn,

Good to hear from you again. Unfortunately I've been far too busy at uni in the last month as it's deadline season! However, I'm hoping to make some progress soon. I think the next job to do is to start one of the boards, although I can't be sure yet. I'll be sure to update when I have something to show!

Jam

Archived