The Old Road - a Hampshire byway

SouthernRegionSteam

• RMweb Premium

On the late David Jenkinsons 4mm Dent Head Junction layout, one of the crossovers on entering the station area had a slightly larger than normal rail gap with an approx 10mm dia open hole down through the baseboard under the rail joint.

Listening to a 10 coach train coming into the station was a pleasant experience, that rail 'joint made a lot of (very nice) noise.

PS:- No it wasn't left over from a defunct tie-rod activator (point motor).

I quite agree - I'm sure it was deliberate. I can never bring myself to use a Dremel and cut regular notches in the track to produce the evocative sound - though some do. There you are, Jam an idea for you!!

Jeff

But for now, the pub is (slowly!) progressing. I went down this morning after my hay fever had subsided a little and took the necessary photos that I needed.

Great to see the "Bat & Ball" coming along although as a fellow hay fever sufferer I always find a pint helps smiley-eatdrink009.gif If it's any consolation I have found that as I've got older it has subsided a little and I no longer have to carry boxes of mansize tissues around with me. Best of luck with the modeling, keep up the good work as I mentioned before living in the area adds to my enjoyment of this thread.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the hijack here (although hopefully helpful re: underlay) but Jeff, SMP / Marcway track and point work have very thin sleepers in comparison to Peco so if you are wanting to create any kind of shoulder, then using an underlay will be necessary. I have used Carrs 3mm foam underlay, glued it down with Copydex, as is the track and ballast, to ensure that the sound deadening is kept. Use PVA and all earlier efforts to reduce noise will be lost.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all!

Jeff, thank you for the advice. I'm still not sure about using cork, although looking through the Wickes catalogue I see they are selling it at just over £10 for a metre squared. If I don't decide to use cork, I'm thinking about using some sort of thin wood as a ballast shoulder to sit the track on.

I've heard a lot of people say always use N gauge ballast when ballasting OO track. I can't wait to start building the boards and see my plan come to life as the track starts going down.

As for clikety-clacking the rails - I am tempted!

MinZaPint, glad you are enjoying the progress! I'll have to remember that excuse about drinking whilst having hay fever!

Sandside, no worries about hijacking - this is a layout discussion thread rather than a blog. All useful advice though!

So finally, after HOURS of work (thought I had to stress the hours there!) I've finally worked out how the roof went. It has taken numerous attempts, and there are still some gaps to fill in, but it's finally looking like a pub at long last.

I'm thinking about using some tin foil to represent the lead flashing. I've also got a few chimneys to build and facsia boards to make up and attach. Not to mention guttering, painting, weathering and windows!

It's getting there though, and I'm fairly happy with it so far.

post-6776-0-46518900-1340394791_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-54544800-1340394802_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-65742200-1340394817_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-46994100-1340394831_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-11843400-1340394845_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-87482300-1340394856_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-88605000-1340394871_thumb.jpg

Jam

• RMweb Premium

You should be fairly happy with it. Good work!

Glad you checked the Wickes site. That sounds like a pack of 6 floor tiles for a tenner, which isn't bad. The last ones I bought in 2008 were £7 per pack, so still cheaper than buying "model cork".

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Glad you checked the Wickes site. That sounds like a pack of 6 floor tiles for a tenner, which isn't bad. The last ones I bought in 2008 were £7 per pack, so still cheaper than buying "model cork".

The Wickes website quotes the following:

Sealed Cork Tiles 3.2mm PK9

Product Code: 620950

Size (LxW): 305 x 305 x 3.2mm

Pack size: Pack of 9

Pack Coverage: Pack of 9 covers 0.84m^2

£8.99

(£10.71 per SQM)

• RMweb Premium

The Wickes website quotes the following:

Sealed Cork Tiles 3.2mm PK9

Product Code: 620950

Size (LxW): 305 x 305 x 3.2mm

Pack size: Pack of 9

Pack Coverage: Pack of 9 covers 0.84m^2

£8.99

(£10.71 per SQM)

Cheers Jam. That is excellent value. I actually bought my last packs from Homebase, but I'm not sure they sell them these days. So 9 tiles is pretty good. I may pop down there in the next couple of weeks and have a look. The cork quality is usually decent as people wouldn't have them on the floor if it wasn't!!

Don't let me push you into getting cork, though. I bought the stuff as it was a traditional way to soundproof - and it's nice to work with.

Jeff

Went to the Minstead show today, small but some very nice layouts, coming away I took the wrong turn and finished up on the wrong side of the A31, in need of a "Wet" I headed up the road.

DSCF0278.jpg

Very nice pint of Ringwood and spotted a photo on the wall probabely taken in the 60's of the building partially covered in what looks like Virginia Creeper, with its seasonal colours that would look good as part of your weathering IMHO. Best wishes and look forward to the topping out ceremony!

• RMweb Gold

Yep - just returned from there after three ciders!

I know the photo you mean, and I will try and replicate it as much as possible.

I was invited to Minstead, however, I felt Calshot (my other layout) wasn't up to standard. Perhaps within the next year or so I will make it to an exhibition with the Old Road in tow.

Did you take the wrong road on purpose?!

We must've missed each other by about 2 hours!

"I'm thinking about using some tin foil to represent the lead flashing."

Alternatively you could use strips cut from self-adhesive address labels (or similar sheets, they come in a variety of sizes of course).

Anyway - I just wanted to say how I'm enjoying following your thread :)

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Southernboy! (sorry I don't know your real name).

The thing with self adhesive tiles that I am wary of is that they often start to peel after a short time unless you stick them down with PVA or equivalent.

I might try it regardless if the tin foil doesn't work as I'm open to suggestions.

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed something. I have forgot to cut the roof of the gents toilet (nearest the camera on Southernboys photo) to shape before gluing! I'm not sure whether that wooden board structure was there in the early 1960s or not. Hence why I forgot to cut the roof of the gents around the wooden extension.

Anyway, thank you all for your support - and I see I have 20 followers already!

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like "Jam and his Disciples"!!!! If you keep preaching the good gospel Jam, including a diet of step-by-step photos, we'll keep following!

Btw, tin foil may be too thin, but the idea sounds good. It ought to be possible to get some slightly thicker gauge aluminium sheet.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Last night I set about starting to paint the Bat & Ball. I decided to settle on Humbrol Enamel #70 for a slightly darker brick colour such as most buildings are around this area. Before I carry on, please note that there is still some more painting to do - I just need to leave it a day for this layer of paint to dry before the next stage. I'm making this up as I go along, so I have no idea how it is going to turn out. It looks OK so far, but I really must sort out some ridge tiles before I get too much further. Also note I haven't touched the slate roofs yet and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to tackle it yet. If my painting technique (ha!) is of interest, I can post a "How I did it" after I have finished the painting proper.

And as way of comparison, see:

Pre-painted photos on post #206

post-6776-0-37518900-1340714043_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-21570900-1340714067_thumb.jpg

post-6776-0-22616600-1340714231_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I spent a little while working out the best way to split the baseboards up. This is what I have come up with. Originally the idea was to have a continual curved design, however I now realise it will be a lot easier (both in terms of designing and constructing the boards) if there were to be two straight edged boards. I guess the fiddle yard boards will be around 5ft in length and about 1.3ft wide for the 8 fiddle yard storage roads.

If any of you have any ideas that will make life easier either for making the boards or designing the boards for transportation I'd welcome them!

Apologies for the small image size - it was originally just to work out where the board joins would go, until I started detailing the sketch a bit.

post-6776-0-70260300-1340737178.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Blimey Jam - that's one hell of a plan! Reminds me of the Discworld or Tolkien's Middle Earth!

It will be fascinating to see how things adapt/change as the track and scenery goes in. Very exciting!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jeff and Dom!

Haha yes, it is a bit like Discworld or Middle Earth isn't it. I like the suggestion of Bulliedworld too. I expect that will become the layouts nickname now - or at least something similar! Quite appropriate considering the Bulleid pacifics sometimes had a roundel on the smokebox!

I'm pleased that I've worked out the board layout now. It should be easier to make than my previous hand drawn sketch. And also, it comes with the added bonus of most of the board joins being hidden by either overbridges, tunnels or level crossings.

• RMweb Gold

Just browsing this morning and came accross this "2mm miscellany card buildings" go to post 7 and scroll about 2/3 way down, looks familiar. Like your plan.

Would you look at that! That is quite similar.

Which reminds me, I still haven't finished constructing the outbuilding(s) for the pub. Might crack on with that today. The outbuilding I haven't started yet has a buttress which gives it quite a nice character as I'm sure you would've noticed when you went down there.

• RMweb Gold

Just thought I would try and enlarge the plan. I've also added in embankment/cutting markings to make it a bit clearer.

As yet I am unsure what should go on the south of Ringwood (bottom in the plan). Perhaps more fields, but I have also been thinking about adding a bigger street scene, or just more sidings (or even overgrown sidings for a more interesting scene?).

post-6776-0-05067700-1340802829.png

Jam

Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the old Ringwood market when all manor of livestock and agricultural produce was traded, that might create a slightly different and interesting scene. If you fancy something more industrial there was the Wellworthy piston factory right beside the railway. Personally I'd go for the market (old country boy at heart!). I wouldn't overcrowd the track side of things, your plan looks to have loads of opperating interest as it stands. Best wishes and happy modelling whatever you decide to do, I'll continue to enjoy your progress. With your favourite tipple in mind you could always have an old barn somewhere with a cider press and the lads pressing the new seasons apples. I remember a program with Jack Hargreaves (Country ways) showing him and his pals doing just that, they had to dub the commentary on afterwards as they were sampling the previous years pressing whilst working, hilarious!

• RMweb Gold

Jeff:

Haha, yes you could say that! I think building the viaduct will be 'interesting'...

MinZaPint:

I love the barn and cider press idea! Haha. Mind you, the livestock/agricultural market may be an idea worth pursuing. I guess it would explain all the goods traffic to the station. I think I need to double check my siding arrangement to make sure it 'works' when doing any shunting operations.

I may have to find a nice prototype barn - there are plenty nearby - it's just choosing one!

Archived