Scenecraft Kent Coast Signal Box

70E

On The Signal Box Model models and railways website

Bachmann Scenecraft Kent Coast Signalbox. Exclusive Limited Edition of 504 for Modelzone. New Release, Pre Orders Being Taken, Due 2011. £54.99 UK Post Free.

• RMweb Gold

Is this what you mean? http://www.thesignal...0&prod_id=14285. Looks a bit pricey - and the originals were full of (brown) asbestos.

Most of the Kent Coast scheme 'boxes were quite large structures and possibly this accounts for the price although the operating floor is one window bay shorter than Faversham it is still going to mean a building = about 40ft, or more, long. And one of rather limited application if used accurately as the Kent Coast scheme 'boxes had a style very much of their own which is instantly recognisable.

• RMweb Gold

Recreating that might be taking the realism a little too far though.... ;)

True! We had a bizarre series of possessions in the early '80s where each box in turn was put into a sort of "unmanned auto" mode for the weekend, while approved asbestos contractors did their thing and removed the naughty bits. As usual, I am unable to recall precise details, but certainly Sittingbourne and Orpington were subjected to such treatment in my time. Full marks to the Divisional Civil Engineer's Works & Jerks organisation for not just putting it in the "too difficult" pile, but making us all jump through an unfamiliar hoop.

True! We had a bizarre series of possessions in the early '80s where each box in turn was put into a sort of "unmanned auto" mode for the weekend, while approved asbestos contractors did their thing and removed the naughty bits. As usual, I am unable to recall precise details, but certainly Sittingbourne and Orpington were subjected to such treatment in my time. Full marks to the Divisional Civil Engineer's Works & Jerks organisation for not just putting it in the "too difficult" pile, but making us all jump through an unfamiliar hoop.

A good deal of the nasty stuff was just "sealed in place" with paint / sealing materials where too difficult to remove - the 1960 era boxes on the Western section - Surbiton etc were treated so too.

The Kent Coast "Bungalow" traction substation have vast quantities of astbestos in the roof panels that has been selaed in place.

Shame this box isn't based on Rainham (it's the other way around) as I have fond memories in my late teens just prior to joining BR of signalling it whilst the signalman (long since retired) cooked the Sunday dinner or sat back and made his particular brand of frothy coffee - watching my every move at the same time I'm sure though. These days such practice would (quite rightly IMHO after 30 years in the industry) simply not happen but things were different once upon a time.......

• 8 months later...

I think the model is probably closest in style to Faversham and Sittingbourne although as has already been noted there is a fair degree of compression going on - not only is the operating floor one window bay short but most of the relay room seems to be missing - the ground floor of the real Faversham box is something like 130 feet long. Shades of the old Merit kit of Potters Bar in that respect I guess.

Faversham closed at Christmas but Sittingbourne, Rainham and Rochester remain operational at present.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived