power to point motors

Elagage56

hi

i've been working out how to power my points system. this is the first time of building a layout with point motors and the Bachmann ez controler does not come woth a power output.

this got me thinking, the track on DCC is 16v AC, and this is,i belive what is needed for a point motor system. so could i take a lead from each track to a power bus below the board and use this as my supply to the capaciter discharge unit and onto the switchboard???

will this work? can anyone see any problems with doing it?

cheers

neil

Better off getting some accessory decoders for your point motors - I wouldn't do what you're suggesting but I have no technical reason just intuition.

You could buy a cheap DC transformer and use that with a CD unit.

John

• RMweb Premium

Better off getting some accessory decoders for your point motors - I wouldn't do what you're suggesting but I have no technical reason just intuition.

You could buy a cheap DC transformer and use that with a CD unit.

John

What DC transformer would that be then? All transformers are AC.

Neil, the answer is to go fully DCC with accessory decoders OR go for an AC transformer with a ©apacitor (D)ischarge (U)nit for solenoid type point motors - Peco, Hornby etc, the value depends on the number of points you intend to throw at once. The capacitor voltage on the CDU MUST be higher than 1.4 times the maximum input voltage of the transformer, otherwise it could explode. Check with your supplier, if they can't answer your question, don't buy it.

The DCC output should NEVER be used to directly power points, always via proper decoders OR a CDU set up OR motor driven points like Tortoises.

Kevin Martin

Tha Bachmann E-Z Command will not be able to supply sufficient power even for a CDU to control solenoid point motors, and you will need a special CDU if you are using the track supply which is a high frequency square wave and not the usual low frequency sine wave that atraditional CDU expects.

You really need to think about getting a 16V 1A transformer and CDU, or possible a laptop type switch mode power supply which gives out 18-24V at 5A or more. The laptop power supply will often be cheaper than buying a transformer and CDU, especially if you find one lying about that is no longer required.

What DC transformer would that be then? All transformers are AC.

Kevin Martin

Didn't make myself clear, I meant a cheap model railway power supply such as you would get in a train set. Hornby R8250 and Bachmann 36-560 are listed on their respective sites. These aren't cheap but I daresay a second hand one can be had.

For our DCC layout, the SEEP point motors are powered by a MRC unit via CDUs. Some points (in the goods yard) are equipped with SnapIt accessory decoders.

John

hi

ok, thanks everyone. taken that all on-board. i already have a gaugemaster CDU. so i will look at ordering a transformer from somewhere. the gaugemaster one's look good. think the model number i was looking at was M1. good thinking on the laptop chargers, but here in france a replacment one costs more than a whole basic track control system does new, as i found out when my old one got "modified" but the dog...... :scratchhead:

so i will probubly go for the gaugemaster transformer, via the CDU to the spdt (center off) switches and 6 seep point motors. i've found a wiring diagram for these to follow.

cheers all

• RMweb Premium

so i will probubly go for the gaugemaster transformer, via the CDU to the spdt (center off) switches and 6 seep point motors. i've found a wiring diagram for these to follow.

cheers all

Bear in mind that the pulse from a CDU to the point motors can peak at quite a few amps, so it would be wise to use some slightly more robust switches than the cheapest available.

Keith

Bear in mind that the pulse from a CDU to the point motors can peak at quite a few amps, so it would be wise to use some slightly more robust switches than the cheapest available.

Keith

thanks, will bear that in mind, i'm not looking for the cheapest, jsut want to build something that works.

cheers

neil

Neil,

I've just recently gone over to the dark side (dcc). Before that I operated dc from a gaugemaster controller. From it's 16v ac output at the side, I operated a mimic panel for my points ( all peco motors by the way) Now that I'm dcc, I retain the old controller and operate all my points exactly as before - it works perfectly well!!

Drew

Neil,

I've just recently gone over to the dark side (dcc). Before that I operated dc from a gaugemaster controller. From it's 16v ac output at the side, I operated a mimic panel for my points ( all peco motors by the way) Now that I'm dcc, I retain the old controller and operate all my points exactly as before - it works perfectly well!!

Drew

hi

yeah that sounds close to what i want to do. i dont have an "old system" thats changed to dcc, i'm building new. but i didnt want to just press a button on the same controler and have it change (dcc)...... i wanted to have a switch board with manuel switches to move to change the points.

cheers

neil

Archived