Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

..... carry on corroding.

Forgotten Elstree classic set in the bandit country of Mazakstan, starring Kenneth Williams as Doctor "Tubby" Duff, Sid James as the Lecherous Controller and Barbara Windsor as Sandra Kan, her buffer beam will obviously fall off at some in-opportune moment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Even if you cut bits out, they'll still carry on corroding.

I reckon it's only the thin bits on the end of the casting where the mould run is thin that corrodes, so that bit will be going for a visit to Mr Milling Machine and the whole lot paint stripped for further inspection.

Mike.

I reckon it's only the thin bits on the end of the casting where the mould run is thin that corrodes, so that bit will be going for a visit to Mr Milling Machine and the whole lot paint stripped for further inspection.

Mike.

I have used a broken Hornby chassis in a Lima 31 and will see how long it lasts but since having it part of the main chassis near the screw holes has broken further. If it fails further I will transplant the Motor etc into the Lima chassis so won't be the end of the world,just more work.

Mike.

Let me/us know how you go Mike, I might have two of these on the bench for some "ahem" attention.

I wrote to Hornby as my D5512 in green (R2420) showed signs of cracking up under the strain of some dodgy mazak. I got a phone call from Margate and established that they had spare green chassis, so I sent the faulty one off in the original box and only a couple of days later received the replacement, which I duly fitted. Can't get the marker lights to work at one end, but I'm not too bothered about that. Several weeks later, and I've just had a refund for the postage, too. As Hornby get a fair amount of flak for various reasons, I just thought I'd let them know they have at least one satisfied customer!

Before I contacted Hornby I looked at buying another Class 31, stripping down the chassis and transplanting the various green bits below the buffer beam, but it looked like the screw holes weren't in the right place. Are there subtly different chassis for the more modern versions of the Class 31?

• Like 1

Before I contacted Hornby I looked at buying another Class 31, stripping down the chassis and transplanting the various green bits below the buffer beam, but it looked like the screw holes weren't in the right place. Are there subtly different chassis for the more modern versions of the Class 31?

I had an issue with one of my Class 50's... they did not replace the cab floor, and sent the loco back as is.  When contacting them, they sent a replacement cab floor, and like you, the screw holes did not line up correctly.

I ended up having to use a very fine metal drill and increase the size of the hole in order to make it fit.

Been looking through the posts here, and I am surprised that such things can happen just by running a loco around your layout just for this to happen. I mean I thought that a loco or locos can only get damaged if it runs off the rails, or gets dropped accidentally. Now I have always liked to own a 31 or a 50, but this might put me off because of such of happening, nor do I want this to happen if I do buy one.

Any chance someone can explain of the affected models, much appreciated

I am certainly shocked by the pics of this problem on here, shocked 

Been looking through the posts here, and I am surprised that such things can happen just by running a loco around your layout just for this to happen. I mean I thought that a loco or locos can only get damaged if it runs off the rails, or gets dropped accidentally. Now I have always liked to own a 31 or a 50, but this might put me off because of such of happening, nor do I want this to happen if I do buy one.

Any chance someone can explain of the affected models, much appreciated

I am certainly shocked by the pics of this problem on here, shocked 

I would suggest that this is no direct fault of Hornby's, and if you desire one of these models, don't let this affect your decision to purchase one.  IF you do end up with one that has this issue, Hornby has been very quick to remedy the situation.

If you wish to avoid one of the affected models, take a look through this thread as all of the affected models (generally from the inital releases) are clearly indicated, including the Hornby R#### and the loco's body number of 31 XXX, DXXXX, 50 XXX.

Edited by br-nse-fan

I have received a £100 voucher from Hornby as well but looking on the Hornby site there is nothing I actually want. Ideally I would like another early class 31 but none are available so I may wait a while and hope there is no expiry on the voucher.

Ive spoken to Hornby and they want it back. Including the undamaged bodyshell, which has a custom weathering on it! Not happy will be talking to mr kohler at the peterborough show if hes there.

Don't panic, talk to SK if he's at Peterborough or if not write to him. In my experience Hornby are very good with customer service issues and I'm sure something can be worked out for your model and circumstances.

• RMweb Gold

My 31 270 has gone off to Margate about a week ago, but nothing back yet . . . .

I'll have to check my 31 110 as well, just in case . . .

A mate of mine recently sent his 31 270 back with a cracked bodyshell,  After a few weeks Hornby acknowledged there was a fault with the chassis and have given him £100 worth of vouchers to spend on the Hornby website.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that my Class 31, D5512 Green livery, is suffering from the dreaded chassis cracking/body splitting issue.  I phoned Margate and a very nice lady advised me this afternoon to return it to them so they can repair/replace it.  From reading the comments here, it appears that there's a good possibility of them keeping it and giving me a £100 voucher instead.  it's a shame if they do that as I'm fond of the Class 31.

I'll let the forum know how I got on in due course.

Regards,

Paul

I've been following this thread for some time, as I have an R2420 D5512 BR green Class 31, which I peordered and obtained with the first releases to retailers. I've been checking and running it regularly and removing the body every 3 or 4 months to check for signs of the Mazac damage, but so far all is OK so I have no grounds to seek recovery from Hornby. Does anybody know if the problem only affected some batches of the same loco?

<snip>it's a shame if they do that as I'm fond of the Class 31.>snip>

Hi Paul,

When they get back to you, If you tell them nicely that you always wanted a class 31, they might do as they did with several of us and send you a 31 instead of a voucher (which is for less).

You'll loose nothing by asking.

Luke

• RMweb Premium

I noticed that my Class 31, D5512 Green livery, is suffering from the dreaded chassis cracking/body splitting issue.  I phoned Margate and a very nice lady advised me this afternoon to return it to them so they can repair/replace it.  From reading the comments here, it appears that there's a good possibility of them keeping it and giving me a £100 voucher instead.  it's a shame if they do that as I'm fond of the Class 31.

I'll let the forum know how I got on in due course.

Regards,

Paul

In the Hornby shop they have green 31 headcode box version, but not released yet. So your in the same position as me  :scratchhead:

My early D5512 succumbed some time ago. I even did a rebuild of the chassis, shown on RMWeb, but decided to contact Hornby a bit later on. I asked for a chassis block - just the metal bit -  which I offered to rebuild back to a running condition with the rest of my broken chassis. Being an ex Hornby service engineer I expected no problems, and they duly sent me a chassis block. During the rebuild, I simplified the loco. All working lights were removed (totally unneccessary and unprototypical for a green loco); the fan drive was disconnected; I even threw away the pcb and just hard-wired it (as in the good old days). Result was a total success. However a bit later on I noticed I had lost a side grille; upon contacting Hornby they even sent me a couple of those from a scrap loco (wrong colour but I repainted it). All free of charge, great service for a loco long out of warrenty.

Stewart

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

When they get back to you, If you tell them nicely that you always wanted a class 31, they might do as they did with several of us and send you a 31 instead of a voucher (which is for less).

You'll loose nothing by asking.

Luke

Thanks Luke for that piece of advice.  I would prefer a replacement 31 and I'm prepared to take a Green headcode version if they have one.  It's about to go in the post so I'll amend my accompanying letter to ask if they can accommodate this.

Paul