Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

• RMweb Premium

Found this rather interesting academic paper on Corrosion Induced cracking of model train zinc-aluminium castings. Quite interesting and explains the issues with regards to what we have observed on these models. Although you might need a bit of understanding of metellurgy.

http://reports.nlr.nl:8080/xmlui/bitstream/handle/10921/531/TP-2005-205.pdf?sequence=1

Basically the phenomenon is accelerated by moisture and temperature. There is a coating solution to prevent the corrosion, but its an industrial process.

Edited by richierich

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, I've just sent off my D5512 and 31 270, as they are both showing early signs of the problem, hairline cracks on the chassis, and a small crack on the corner of the body on 270. Would have waited longer until the problem was obvious, but fear Hornby's goodwill won't last for ever. I've kept the bodies, as suggested. Let's see how they deal with it.

• RMweb Gold

A parcel has just arrived from Hornby only nine days after I sent my damaged ones off. It contains two brand new chasses, and a covering note saying postage coming separately. Assuming they work (just going up to check!), well done Hornby!

A parcel has just arrived from Hornby only nine days after I sent my damaged ones off. It contains two brand new chasses, and a covering note saying postage coming separately. Assuming they work (just going up to check!), well done Hornby!

Must be nice... seems everyone else is getting the postage covered for their loco's..  cost me almost $200 CAD to send them to Hornby, no mention of a refund sent my way...

Must be nice... seems everyone else is getting the postage covered for their loco's..  cost me almost $200 CAD to send them to Hornby, no mention of a refund sent my way...

Huh?? I just sent mine back, cost 26.00USD, you got ripped!! :mosking:

Seriously, I had an email from Hornby which said to enclose a receipt and they would refund the postage: we'll see how that goes. I had no idea that they were mailing out new chassis, I was kind of hoping for vouchers to spend on their website... ;)

I never received a refund of postage and received the damaged body a new body and chassis separately this was over 2 years ago though.

It reminds me of the late and great  Sir Peter Parker's comments about the "crumbling edge of quality" comments about  BR!

XF

Canada Post always rips us!! Postage is ridiculous here. 

I actually sent it by Purolator as I don't have a Canada Post outlet within reasonable distance to me... the Purolator store is on my way to work.  Paid more than I should (could) have, but at least it got them there quickly, and insured against further damage :)

• 3 weeks later...

Appears that the Mazak problem has spread further. I took apart a Hornby Bill and Toby (Thomas range) today to clean pickups/oil the bearings for a friend and the chassis blocks literally fell apart.

I sent my weathered blue example back to them with a postage receipt about a month ago. As I'm located in the 'States I thought it would take a while to hear something. Late last week I received a check to refund my postage costs... in British pounds! :sadclear: Not that I'm ungrateful, it will just cost me an extortionate amount to cash the darned thing!! :mosking:

On reading the replies to this thread, some people appear to have received a completely new loco or chassis while others received an online voucher. I'm intrigued to know which I'll end up with. I sent the body back with the model as it was well and truly broken and cracked. In fact the corrosion was so bad, the ends had crumbled off from the main bulk of the chassis.

Edited by DropTheTap

On reading the replies to this thread, some people appear to have received a completely new loco or chassis while others received an online voucher. I'm intrigued to know which I'll end up with. I sent the body back with the model as it was well and truly broken and cracked. In fact the corrosion was so bad, the ends had crumbled off from the main bulk of the chassis.

At the moment they appear to replacing the chassis.

I dropped my chassis into Hornby's vistor centre last Wednesday and have just received it back in the post  this morning, which I regard as excellent customer service for a model made in 2004.

The bonus is it runs better than before which was one of the best running models anyway.

Not sure what they are doing about the bodies mine was D5512 skinhead and only had a easily repairable crack under the cab door so kept the body and just left them the chassis.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Black 5 Bear, that is how mine first started along with the corner body cracking. I think that I would contact Hornby as quickly as possible - and try to arrange to just send them the chassis for replacement if your body is not too badly damaged. Hope that this is of some help.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi, Black 5 Bear, that is how mine first started along with the corner body cracking. I think that I would contact Hornby as quickly as possible - and try to arrange to just send them the chassis for replacement if your body is not too badly damaged. Hope that this is of some help.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi Market65,

Thank you for that, I have e-mailed Hornby this morning with some piccies !!!

Best wishes,

Mark 

I am looking for a Hornby 31 chassis for a Lima/Hornby hybrid build so if anyone has a broken but working one that they don't feel able to send back to Hornby let me know. Doesn't matter to me how bad the Mazak decay is as I can build all the good bits into the Lima chassis like James Wells did on here a few years back. All the better if it's got EM or P4 conversion wheelsets fitted.

Cheers

David

I have 31270 (One of the first batch) of which the front valance which is no longer flush with the body, should I be worried Folks ??? 

Possibly. Take off the body and have a gander...

They reimbursed me with 100 quid spending cash on their website (which I don't want to use until some of their new products are released!!)

• 2 months later...

I think someone at Hattons is having a laugh, except for spare parts you can't give them away !!!!

R2420-SAS-02_3094750_Qty1_1.jpg

R2420-SAS-02

Hornby - United Kingdom

Class 31 diesel D5512 in BR green - Pre-owned - weathered, possible expanding chassis - sold as seen

OO Gauge (1:76 Scale)

£65

Limited stocks, but available for immediate order

Edited by Black 5 Bear