Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

Hello All

Tried to call Hornby this morning, and they were already closed for the day! Must be nice! Have to wait for next week as I tried calling them just after 9am local time, and missed them by a full hour!

Oh well...

Anyhow, had a request for the Catalog and batch numbers for these engines. Unfortunately, I have misplaced most of the instruction leaflets as I tend to only keep one per class of loco, so I can not provide the batch numbers...

R2349 - Ark Royal

R2374 - Hood

R2487 - St Vincent

R2429 - Superb

Loco's that do not appear to be affected:

R2408 - Sir Edward Elgar*

R2793 - Dauntless

R2575 - Lion

*may have shown some whitening similar to image #2 above... not positive however, and will be keeping an eye on it.

Just got a response from Hornby.... they are asking that I send back ALL the locomotives that are displaying metal fatigue.... that's 7 locomotives! Since none of the Class 50 body shells have any damage, Tanya at Hornby has asked that I keep them at home and not send them back, only the chassis's.

I will update once I have more info.

• RMweb Premium

I got my 31 out of the box yesterday to have a look at it and one of the ends seemed to sag a bit. Closer examination showed that one end had snapped off. I stripped it down and no visible signs of corrosion, just a bad design.

After many emails to parts suppliers I sent one to Hornby and got the reply they dont supply to the public (spare parts, that is). A return email explaining the problem and quoting the Hornby number R2420 and also mentioning that the service sheet HSS 276H does not have a part number, I received an email from Tanya Garrett advising me to return the chassis to Margate so it is now flying airmail to sunny Kent.

Thank you Hornby for your excellent response to what seemed an impossible solution.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently any lack of communications on their part is not an indication of no progress. I know many have received e-mails confirming the progress of work on their models... I hadn't. I rang today to see what was happening having confirmed receipt of the loco through the Royal Mail in early december... but having heard nothing from Hornby. Apparently it's on their system and in work... whatever that means was not clarified, but hopefully it'll be resolved soon. so, "no news", if that's the situation you're in, is possibly good news. Will update when I know more; it's useful to share experiences of this. 

I posted my damaged chassis back to them early December. So far I havent had it back or had any further comms with Hornby.

I dont mind though, im confident they are doing it as quickly as they can given the spares availability and possible que for replacements etc. They seem to have been pretty good at resolving this issue. Im not in any rush anyway!

I posted my damaged chassis back to them early December. So far I havent had it back or had any further comms with Hornby.

I dont mind though, im confident they are doing it as quickly as they can given the spares availability and possible que for replacements etc. They seem to have been pretty good at resolving this issue. Im not in any rush anyway!

Yes, so it was the same with me; I just chased them up as my friend had posted his back early december, received a confirmatory e-mail and reimbursed postage... which considering I'd heard nothing, I thought odd. I'm not bothered either way as hopefully I'll have a modifiable 31 to work on sometime this year... again, I'm in no rush either :-)

• Like 1

it seams as thought they are very busy with the 31  (31 110). As at christmas i was treated to another sound chip and when i wnet to fit it notices a small crack and the body was very tight to remove. it was only when i went to refit the body the ends had dropped. a quick search on line brought me to this thread and forums so joined up. the day after a phone call to Hornby and all i said was

" i have a train where the ends have dropped off"

did not get chance to say any more and the lad on the phone went

" i take it is a class 31 and to send it in with a covering letter"

it has been with them for about a week and a half now so if i hear of when it might be back ill update on time taken.

• RMweb Premium

I will be very interested as to how they FIX the chassis as its a design problem with the chassis, compounded by the material used. I am putting my money on a replacement chassis with a design modification.

I should know in another few days

Peter 

• Like 1

I will be very interested as to how they FIX the chassis as its a design problem with the chassis, compounded by the material used. I am putting my money on a replacement chassis with a design modification.

I should know in another few days

Peter 

Please do let us know...  post a couple photo's if there is something new!

Guys,

you'll have to be patient. It took almost a YEAR for my 31110 to return.

Because if the batch production in china, they only have spare chassis when 31s are being made on one of the lines.

Did you send it back with or without the body?

From what I understand, is that you'll get your loco back quicker if they don't need to source a replacement body as well as the chassis.

I could be wrong... but that's just that I have heard/read.

• RMweb Premium

im glad I steered clear of the Hornby 31 before all this, especially seeing the prices they cost

NL

All I can say I must been one of the lucky ones to get away with this problem. They have been fine since the day I purchased them. I do check them on a regular time period to makes suer that they are not going to fall apart on me. 

Terry  

Hi Terry - Yes mine never had this problem, although one I did buy not so long ago did, the body was cracked on one end in a few places, and the parts where the bufferbeam is etc, completely broke off when I removed the body ... fortunatley said model was a donor for its chassis for its Lima counterpart

NL

• RMweb Premium

A large parcel arrived today and after burrowing through all the packing I found the original box I sent the chassis back for "repairs".

Inside securely wrapped was a new unit that looks remarkably like my unit before it broke. So no redesign just a replacement part.

Heres hoping it lasts

Peter

post-6942-0-52161100-1358748183_thumb.jpg

post-6942-0-50280400-1358748188_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I thought it would end up just a replacement part and not a re-design.

It should last ok, as long as the base metal isnt contaminated, as this was why they started to disintergrate/snap off. The cab ends are very thin and definatly a weak point but they should be able to stay in one piece easily enough unless its handled roughly or dropped. I have several Hornby 31s, some box fresh others modified and all are perfectly fine, apart from my 31 110 (my only one from 1st batch) which only snapped off because of contaminated metal.

Considering buying a Class 31 at some point as a medium-strength diesel unit for my line; however after reading this I'm very wary of the thought now. My preferences seem now to lean towards buying an older Class 37, poor detailing and all... at least it would run properly, without fear of disintegration within five years!

That said, exactly which Hornby product numbers have been affected by this? I mean which RXXXX items have been tormented with these issues? That way I know and will be able to stay clear of them for future. If someone could supply a list of them I would appreciate it.

Considering buying a Class 31 at some point as a medium-strength diesel unit for my line; however after reading this I'm very wary of the thought now. My preferences seem now to lean towards buying an older Class 37, poor detailing and all... at least it would run properly, without fear of disintegration within five years!

That said, exactly which Hornby product numbers have been affected by this? I mean which RXXXX items have been tormented with these issues? That way I know and will be able to stay clear of them for future. If someone could supply a list of them I would appreciate it.

Unless you dont have the skills, why not use the Hornby 31 chassis to repower a Lima 31? its been done several times now and the Lima 31 body is better moulded in some areas as well and looks more like a 31

NL