RMweb

Comet GWR Centenary carriage project!

Window frames aren't so much of an issue if you are doing them in 'as-built' condition (i.e. the first few years of service), as I am. I did a cut-n-shut of the Airfix brake third to get the left-hand one, but I'm not completely satisfied with the result. Otherwise my coaches are overlays (third, dining third, one brake compo), original Airfix (compo, RH brake third), and Comet kits (restaurant first, other brake compo).

Hmm... I guess I said all that earlier in the thread. I guess I really should do some more work on my set.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

It is one advantage of the BSL/Phoenix kit. The sides are all one piece and pre formed to shape. Also the roof, being a pressing, fits on top of the ends with no fit issues Sadly no window frames where Comet have a definite advantage.

Picked this up for £5 as shown with a H33 diner.

Mike Wiltshire

There is a BSL comp on eBay at the moment, but I don't see the point with so many Airfix compo in my hands at the moment......

What this thread is proving though is how many people want a complete rake of Centenary carriages!

• RMweb Gold

There is a BSL comp on eBay at the moment, but I don't see the point with so many Airfix compo in my hands at the moment......

What this thread is proving though is how many people want a complete rake of Centenary carriages!

Yes there's currently 30 centenary coaches on ebay at the moment.

Very nice Mike - have you produced the etches yourself?

Are they sitting on Airfix Centenary carriage chassis?

Regards,

Cut and shut from two scrap Airfix brake thirds. Keep roof in one piece and cut away compartment sections from guard's door to end. Cut equivalent van section from second coach, glue, fill and sand. Only takes a couple of hours. Still have roof water tank to remove, sort missing footstep below van doors at steps end and replace broken buffer, and body is ready for the spray cans. I will give the underframe a complete makeover with Comet V hangers, put in brake rodding etc.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Cut and shut from two scrap Airfix brake thirds. Keep roof in one piece and cut away compartment sections from guard's door to end. Cut equivalent van section from second coach, glue, fill and sand. Only takes a couple of hours. Still have roof water tank to remove, sort missing footstep below van doors at steps end and replace broken buffer, and body is ready for the spray cans. I will give the underframe a complete makeover with Comet V hangers, put in brake rodding etc.

Mike Wiltshire

Can't find this in Russells coach books. :jester:

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had the Centenary carriage out at the weekend... to see who quickly I could finish it....

I wasn't that happy with it to be honest, which is why it has been such a protracted project. 

The body does not follow the line of the roof correctly and whilst i filled it, I am still not happy.

However! - The good news was that i put it onto some Bachmann Collett bogies and it spun round the layout behind some Bachmann carriages very well.

I have so many half completed projects on the railway, but this is one I really do want to get done. Just need a 2014 (new tooled) King to go with it!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

WANTED!

Does anyone have the sides for the Restaurant Open 3rd? - Just hanging around and they don't want them anymore?

I've just found out that the Etch moulds(?) were lost in a change of manufacturer a few years ago and Comet do not have any. Nor are they going to produce any more.

Comet kit W76

Thanks.

WANTED!

Does anyone have the sides for the Restaurant Open 3rd? - Just hanging around and they don't want them anymore?

I've just found out that the Etch moulds(?) were lost in a change of manufacturer a few years ago and Comet do not have any. Nor are they going to produce any more.

Comet kit W76

Thanks.

Oh Dear! Is  that just the RO or all of the Centenary Sides?

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update 31st May 2014

Professional help was required ... thanks to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/user/2326-mallard60022/ who stepped into the breach and sent back some lovely sides for the Restaurant carriage:

post-6981-0-94321000-1401544444_thumb.jpg

Further details to follow once we have moved.....

• RMweb Gold

That was a shrewd move Neal as those insets on those sides are a pain to get right.One note though is that the windows are only suitable for later than 1938 [?] as the coaches were first released into traffic with the becawlet type.If you model 1935/36 you need to remove the top of the etch as they stand.

• RMweb Premium

That was a shrewd move Neal as those insets on those sides are a pain to get right.One note though is that the windows are only suitable for later than 1938 [?] as the coaches were first released into traffic with the becawlet type.If you model 1935/36 you need to remove the top of the etch as they stand.

Correct of course... 

Phil,

If you're anything like me then there's a lot of things we don't know, but if you're referring to the windows in W76 then this is a quote from the prototype information sheet that came with the sides :-

"Initially the windows were of the wind down “Beclawat” type but these were replaced in 1938 with the more conventional 4 element sliding vents."

Cheers,

Geoff

Comet Models

• RMweb Premium

Snip, snip, snip........if I had only known....... :swoon:  :wild:   :sclerosis: that that was what Neal wanted........ :mail:

edit to add last 6 words.

P

To be honest Phil, I was aware of the changes, but did not give a thought to remove the parts of the etch..... Was just going to turn a blind eye..... I'm sure I read somewhere that although the date was 1938..... They trie them out initially in 1936 :-)

Archived