Steam to newquay this weekend: Atlantic Coast Express

winterbournecm

Hi there

Advanced notice of two steam locos to Newquay this Sunday evening (4th Sept), and return trip Tues 6th.

Train at Par at 19.08 to 19.48 where a release diesel will be attached on the rear. Train arrives at Newquay at 20.55 and returns empty to St Blazey (diesel leading)

The train is then diesel hauled Tuesday morning 07.40 St Blazey to Newquay so that the steam can lead from Newquay as 08.52 to Exeter.

Not sure of steam locos - perhaps someone could advise further.

• RMweb Gold

These timings seem rather late for an excursion presumably arrving at Newquay from somewhere else and then returning to the place of origin.

In the first place they have to get there (after various perambulations around the West Country it would appear) and in the second they can only go down the branch when there is not a booked service in the way and a quick look at the public timetable suggest that is not on until late in the evening or early in the morning due to fairly intensive line occupation of a branch with limited capacity.

• RMweb Gold

The steam charter schedules were agreed in consultation with NR and FGW.

The punters will spend a couple of days in the Duchy, doing whatever takes their fancy, no doubt....

'Braunton' isn't ready, apparently, which is why 70000 is substituted.

Don't get me wrong gents, I am aware that the locos were staying in the county to return on a later date and the details of timings would be worked out well in advance but, all of the tours I have been on the participents returned the same day and it seemed to be a late time to start the return journey of considerable distance.

The Captain's explanation answers my concerns but further confirms my feelings that modern touring is not my thing.

So Tangmere broke and was taken off at Taunton. I had gone down to Par to see the train in only to hear the bad news, i then went back to Bodmin Parkway where the T9 and prairy tank 5521 were waiting to take some of the tour participants to Bodmin General, it was getting a bit dark by the time the special arrived over an hour late at about 20.15hrs.

I look forward to seeing some better pics than mine on here.

DSCN5776.jpg

DSCN5779.jpg

DSCN5780.jpg

DSCN5788.jpg

Archived