Not something you see every day...

• RMweb Premium

Scarborough Spa Express on Tuesday. I was sat in the buffet on the train at York and saw 44932 trundle through platform 10 with a couple of support coaches heading south. About a minute later we started moving. We caught up with the Black 5 near Dringhouses, and then ran side by side all the way to Church Fenton, where the 5 took the Leeds line and 70013 headed south towards Castleford.

Other than Steam on the Met, I've never experienced anything like that before! It was certainly impressive. Well done to the signallers for timing it right, and for WCRC, especially the drivers, for keeping the parallel running going as long as possible.

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic!!! wonder what the drivers of trains coming towards them thought..

Tom

What about the people on the station platform? A pair of kettles either side at speed!

I notice that both trains had speeded up considerably by the time the two part company.

Now all we want is a co-ordinated foursome with a pair going the opposite direction at the same time :D

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I found this on You Tube this evening. It appears to be staged but it contains three steam trains running in parallel somewhere in the USA I think.

They do that in Oz don't they?

I think you will find it's been posted before. (see pixie's link)

Keith

They do that in Oz don't they?

I think you will find it's been posted before. (see pixie's link)

Keith

Yeah its in Oz, I think its a bi-plane you hear flying overhead too from one of the other videos of the event!

Flying Scotsman took part in one when it was in the country.

I think the British network is too intensive with traffic to find somewhere to organise that sort of thing properly.

Yeah its in Oz, I think its a bi-plane you hear flying overhead too from one of the other videos of the event!

Flying Scotsman took part in one when it was in the country.

I think the British network is too intensive with traffic to find somewhere to organise that sort of thing properly.

Yes that was in 1988 and I was on that trip on the R. The parallel running was pretty impressive then. Had a ride on the scotsman at one of those runpast photostops.

Archived