Supertest

Building Roads

Masterclass

Steam railmotors

Plan

Micro city layout by Paul Lunn

All in all an enjoyable issue.

• RMweb Gold

I almost fell off my chair when I saw the cover.....

:) were you sitting by the door then?

What a dilemma if I succumb to the tasty cover pic I might succumb to the Beattie tank I've been avoiding the temptation of!

The "Headshunt" is a rather nice layout, it's just got that elusive atmosphere thing, and a nicely written and presented article too.

Some videos of cable shunting, once you've got the chain, on BQ would be nice Chris.

• RMweb Gold

Some videos of cable shunting, once you've got the chain, on BQ would be nice Chris.

I noticed the mention of using a chain and was a little puzzled. I must admit my experience with capstan shunting was very limited (and then only as an observer) although I do have a copy of the capstan Instructions for Fowey Harbour as well. I have only heard of rope being used and have always understood this was because chain didn't have the flexibility and 'give' - apart from its potential to cause damage and snag. Chain was certainly used for tow shunting (loco on one road pulling wagons on an adjacent road) although rope was also used for that I understand. Perhaps chain doesn't suffer from the scaling (down) disadavantages of using rope/thread?

• RMweb Gold

I've only seen cable too on the prototype, very fine chain looks good in 7mm scale, but the problem is in OO thread doesn't act like rope at all and fine chain probably is closer and will sit on the ground looking ok. I suppose the ideal would be fine chain woven into thread to make it sag realistically ;)

The photos I have show 'shunting ropes' as mainly rope agreed, but with the ends (maybe 10 feet or so) made of chain. Hybrid! I will do this in due course when I find something suitable - but I won't lose any sleep over it. But, operationally 100% chain would be much easier to use in miniature..

Guest 40-something

This issue has came at the right time, I've been thinking of down-sizing my layout plans to a small industrial layout (making good use of the Sentinel I've ordered!)

Plenty of inspiration for me!

• RMweb Premium

The Issue I didn't know I'd been waiting for ! At last instructions (and photos) that have enabled me to get into the cab of my Bachmann 08 and fit a crew figure. might even go back and detail the cab interior! :no:

Question for anyone down Aus / NZ way. How long does it take issues to get here? I was in a newsagents the other day and they're only on 158, I enquired and they said they're 3-4 months behind.

I've a subscription setup now but it's only from no 162 onwards, does it sound right that I'll be waiting 3 months for 161?

Question for anyone down Aus / NZ way. How long does it take issues to get here? I was in a newsagents the other day and they're only on 158, I enquired and they said they're 3-4 months behind.

I've a subscription setup now but it's only from no 162 onwards, does it sound right that I'll be waiting 3 months for 161?

If you get your magazine through the normal channels in Australia, yes 2-3 months is about the normal wait. Never waited 4 months though.

Having visited the UK in April - May this year and picked up the current issues of Rly Modeller, BRM and Model Rail, I found that it was nearly 2 months to the day that the issues arrived in my local newsagents in OZ. I subscribe to the Hornby Mag so that takes about 7 - 10 days. One due shortly I think.

This looks like a 'cracking' issue as the English would say. Especially interested in the Steam Railmotors masterclass. Hope it covers LNER Steam Rail Cars.

Mark

Archived