L&B Lyd revealed in SR green

PaulRhB

I bet there will be a few of us watching the FR/WHR loco roster with baited breath.

There is an interesting pairing on Friday with DHR B class and the Mallet. The B was on the roster to run a vintage train today, shame I'm in Leeds and working nights this week!

The E in SR liveries relates to Eastleigh. IIRC others such as B Brighton etc existed as means to identify the locos at grouping until they decided how many to add on to replace the E, B etc.

From Wiki

Until 1931 the Southern Railway initially maintained the locomotive numbers from its constituents, and solved the problem of more than one locomotive having the same number by letter prefixes denoting the main works of the former owning company. All ex-SECR locos were prefixed by "A" (for Ashford), ex-LBSCR by "B" (for Brighton) and ex-LSWR engines by "E" (for Eastleigh). New locomotives were prefixed by the letter of the works where they were built. In 1931 the fleet was re-numbered by dropping all prefixes, leaving E-prefixed numbers unchanged, adding 1000 to A-prefixed numbers and 2000 to B-prefixed ones, an exception being the Z-class 0-8-0 shunters whose numbers A950-A957 only lost the prefix, with no addition.[35] (Some non-revenue-earning locos were exempt from this scheme).

• RMweb Gold

Well by a roundabout route you can as there are excellent kits if you can afford it to be built ;)

O16.5

Whitemetal body only kit by Chivers.

Etched coming soon by EDM, a sponsor on here, where Paul Martin's kit is nearing release and as he drives on the Festiniog has been hands on with the real loco too.

Etched, Backwoods miniatures

And I think there's still a whitemetal kit using an inside frame chassis somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a week in Wales driving on the FR. Unfortunately I couldn't stay for SuperPower.

Had my camera in my loco bag on Thursday as Lyd was pulled out of the paint shop to allow the next paint job in.

post-2660-0-74794700-1315654584.jpg

I confess to having slightly altered the picture by removing the lighting tower that was stuck out of the top of Lyd

Inside info on King of the Hill

• Lyd - no chance, time allowed making it go or painting it, they painted it. Spies tell me the GM is trying to rig the contest by filling it with red diesel rather than the usual low grade stuff they buy the oil burners these days.
  • Timmy - [the Mallet], driver who took four cars out of Beddgelert last weekend reported it as gutless and still running bearings hot

Outside good bet if allowed to play = Britomart . Its a handicapped contest calculated by load, wheel dia, cylinder dia, boiler pressure and heating surface. If Britomart goes up the hill with just one coach it'll beat the pants off the rest when the calcs are done

Archived