Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Leyland Experimental Coach

Unlikely given that the Leyland National (love it or hate it) was one of the most corrosion resistant buses of its time.

Hmm, I beg to differ. My tongue was not THAT firmly in my cheek when I made my original post..

• Like 1

The very first Nationals I was shown were brand new deliveries acting as christmas trees to keep earlier ones in service! Decked in SELNEC orange & white in the ex SHMD garage near Stalybridge.

A brandnew Crosville National on trail in Colwyn Bay looked far smarter despite the plain green, something the Bristol RE's did not. But both were neater than the Seddon bodied cruds.

I wonder what a Mk.I bus would have looked like? post-6680-0-07471800-1316177575.gif

• RMweb Premium

LEV1.....p720610302-4.jpg[/url]

When LEV1 was running trials in East Anglia it was chartered for an excursion between Cambridge and Bury St.Edmunds (and return).

I was on this trip, and the ride was definitely 'nodding donkey'.

The flange squeal around the Coldham's Common Curve was deafening, too !!

Still - an opportunity not to be missed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

On the road that body was used on the SC4LK lightweight model, in fact it was designed as a light weight, one man, front entrance bus, that did not realy catch on for country routes.

Both E C W (Lowestoft) and Bristol ( at Brislington Works) built bodies for the Tilling Group and the easy way to tell the difference was E C W used flat headed countersunk screws to fix the external beading but Bristol used dome headed ones!

Guess who has rebuilt both types of body in preservation.

I deliberately chose that particular bus as we called them 'noddy buses'. 'Orrible gearboxes too. Was it the worst Bristol but ever? Thankfully I didn't have to drive one but the other drivers used to stop at the bottom of St.Asaph hill and select first gear. Changing gear part-way up the hill was not a viable option! It lasted all of a week before it was sold on.

this coach is now owned by us and has been taken to Cynheidre for full restoration, once the Gwendraeth Railway society has a lease for the mothballed Burry Port & Gwendraeth Valley Railway, it will work with diesel shunter 03141 currently stored at Blaenavon and 1900 Avonside Steam loco No2 Pontyberem being restored at Newport Docks. The coach was bought as it will fit the low height loading gauge of the line. and once restored will be dual braked in both having vacuum and air brakes to co-inside with the 3 class 08's which are still on the main network with DB Schenkar. There are plans in the pipeline to make a 00gauge model.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Is this the vehicle that Lincolnshire Road Car used as a mobile information office at some time during the '70s and '80s?

OFW801 was the info' office, it doubled as a left luggage office in Skegness Bus Stn into the 1980s.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking at the pictures above they look like the short windows.

Hi there,

I've just found this post after doing some browsing re LEVs, Pacers, Sprinters etc.

I've seen other mentions of long and short windows, but does anyone know what the actual sizes of windows and panels was? Even the HMRS booklet doesn't offer any detail.

I'm tempted to hack a couple of 142 bodies together on a Mk 1 underframe, but the doors look to be very non-standard - there seems to be a ledge just below the 'white' paint and the hinges look to be on the end?

Anybody got any more info?

regards

martin

Hi there,

I've just found this post after doing some browsing re LEVs, Pacers, Sprinters etc.

I've seen other mentions of long and short windows, but does anyone know what the actual sizes of windows and panels was? Even the HMRS booklet doesn't offer any detail.

I'm tempted to hack a couple of 142 bodies together on a Mk 1 underframe, but the doors look to be very non-standard - there seems to be a ledge just below the 'white' paint and the hinges look to be on the end?

Anybody got any more info?

regards

martin

A check on the window size of a Hornby Pacer and a Dapol 155 show both to have the same window size as a long window National (EFE) being 16.5mm wide. A would assume that the coach body would have used the same size. Not the short window which is about 13.5mm.

Maybe the Dapol 155 or Hornby 153 body would be a good start.

Merf.