Hornby mag Oct 2011 Issue 52

westerner

Contents of mag

Layouts

Byworth ( steam loco shed) 00 gauge)

Hollowbrick Shed ( sSteam loco shed 0 gauge)

Shillinghurst (00 gauge SR)

Weathering Tim Shackleton

Adding smoke generators DCC

Lighting a bungalow

Engine shed kit

Hornby Dublo 8F

Railways of the Isle of Man

Interesting editoral on "photoshoping" pictures, obviously Mike Wild has watched the thread here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41988-has-airbrushing-gone-to-far-model-railway-magazines/ .

He asks readers to guess which of the 3 layouts has the most "photoshopped" images .....answer will be revealed in the next issue. A good way to make one pick up the Nov issue.

Contents of mag

Layouts

Byworth ( steam loco shed) 00 gauge)

Hollowbrick Shed ( sSteam loco shed 0 gauge)

Shillinghurst (00 gauge SR)

Adding smoke generators DCC

Lighting a bungalow

Engine shed kit

Hornby Dublo 8F

Railways of the Isle of Man

Additional contents to the above:

Slag Ladle Wagon kit

Clinic (Modelling problems)

Reality check - Beattie Well tank

Staff projects

Phil

He asks readers to guess which of the 3 layouts has the most "photoshopped" images .....answer will be revealed in the next issue. A good way to make one pick up the Nov issue.

You can soon pick it up. And then put it down again ;)

Seriously, this is one issue that involved very little decision making (it's fairly remarkable that all of the 'big 4' have content that appeals to me this month, and that all are also new on the shelves at the same time). Hornby mag's content does live up to its stunning cover (I'll draw a discreet veil over the wagon reviews ;) ), and it wasnt til I'd bought it that I realised the WD dropping its fire was on the 4mm layout not the 7mm.

Contents of mag

Well not him personally :lol: Not a combination of author and mag that would be immediately obvious, but when you see the book plug it makes sense. It's a very good article though, I particularly like what he's done with the Deltic and I agree with a lot of his observations, especially the 'fear factor'.

One thing though, is the book about locos only or stock as well, because the panel in the article says it's rolling stock as well but the book cover and IA's own ad in the mag only mention locos... :pardon:

• RMweb Gold

Yes, a cracking edition, sadly I have ready every word already so am resorting to scanning the adverts ......

We had Hollowbeck Shed at this year's Mansfield show, a nice bunch they are too and a cracking layout. The hidden fiddle/turntable/traverser is a thing to behold.

Roll on next month's issue

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame that the editor Mike Wild does the model wagon reviews. Just a quick look - the Hornby Iron ore tippler should NOT have a brake pipe - which he draws attention to as being good, the era 4 Hornby brake van illustrated has roller bearings (I know this is a mistake that Hornby appear to have made at the factory) and the BZA should not have Y25C bogies even if "reproduced to a high standard" but FBT 6 !

Paul Bartlett

Archived