Hornby Decoders

Lochinvar

When starting out in DCC I fitted Hornby decoders to many loco's, including most of my Heljan fleet. Never had any problems.

Current flows with Heljan diesels such as the 47 have been reliably reported at nearly an amp . The R8249 has a rating of 0.5A continuous and 1.0A peak. If the Heljan loco is running light, slowly , current draw would be less than if running fast and heavily loaded , but they could certainly exceed the rated level of the decoder under some circumstances and therefore blow it. There is definitely a significant risk of failure when using components (eg a decoder) to carry current in excess of their rating

I suspect one reason the R8249 is the price it is , is that cheaper lower rated compents have been used in it. (Which is fine with modern models that draw0.3A - 0.4A typically) I also suspect that the Trainsave decoders use cheaper lower rated compenents than the TCS T1 which they otherwise resemble very strikingly . The T1 is rated at 1.2A continuous /2.0A peak , the Trainsave at 1.0A continuous /1.6A peak If you wanted a decoder for an old Hornby Dublo or Triang loco you'd do better paying more for theT1

• RMweb Premium

I saw the Trainsave decoder in my local shop at £11.50 compared with the £13.95 for the R2849, I will probably give one of them a try next time, although I believe they have had a problem with surging at certain speeds , or is it something I have been imagining?

I saw the Trainsave decoder in my local shop at £11.50 compared with the £13.95 for the R2849, I will probably give one of them a try next time, although I believe they have had a problem with surging at certain speeds , or is it something I have been imagining?

Best option is like you say....buy one and try it...if you dont get on with it, dont buy another. Just one thing....do try them in various makes of loco, surprisingly different results can be achieved.

Regards.........................Bob.

Best option is like you say....buy one and try it...if you dont get on with it, dont buy another. Just one thing....do try them in various makes of loco, surprisingly different results can be achieved.

Regards.........................Bob.

Agree there Bob. I have three, Heljan Lion and two Bachmann Cl 25s. Performance is acceptable. A slight surging has been noticed. When I tried them in steam outline, there was a noticable slowing during acceleration. I think they are more suited to larger motors.

• RMweb Premium

Judging by the shall we say not so positive comments on the thread for Trainsave decoders in steam locos I will probably give them a miss until a few glitches have been sorted. I have had no problems with the R2849 in steam and would rather pay a couple of pounds more for something that works for me.

I have just got a ANE Models LC101 LocoCruiser decoder to give a try to. I got it from Kelve models, it appears to have been the last one, for £9.95. It appears to only support 2 digit addresses, but has 5 functions and you can set set maximum speed. Yet to fit it in something, but will report back when I do. It was this inability to set maximum speed that turned me away from Hornby's decoders.

Archived