30's semi detached house

norseman

semi.jpg

After a long summer of arm-chair-modelleing, I found a bit of inspiration this afternoon as the rain kept drumming on the windows. A 30s art deco semi detached house is under construction, and will find it's place on my layout in the future.

My daughter (aged 9) wanted to help, and I asked her to make a chair, sofa and table for the living room, And a nice job she did!

semi.jpg

After a long summer of arm-chair-modelleing, I found a bit of inspiration this afternoon as the rain kept drumming on the windows. A 30s art deco semi detached house is under construction, and will find it's place on my layout in the future.

My daughter (aged 9) wanted to help, and I asked her to make a chair, sofa and table for the living room, And a nice job she did!

wow. 9. I'm impressed. Oh, and the semi is pretty cool too! :sungum:

I will be experimenting with interior light, and hope the furniture will show through the windows. But good idea of a moving house cameo...

And I think it is great to involve the kids whenever there is a job they fancy doing. Or the hobby can get mighty serious...

Done a bit of work tonight, finishing the windows, adding a bit of detail above the front doors, and started to slate the roof. As always done with the back side of cereal packets, cutting lengths of appr 8 mm width, half cutting each individual slate before gluing on to the roof.

semi2.jpg

Now that's really looking very covincing, especially the bay window and the hung tiles. I could imagine whole streets of those, with just small detail differences between them, just to make them individual.

But, the style is not art deco at all. Nor is it even in the moderne style so typical of the 1930s. The moderne style houses are the boxy, usually of the flat-roofed type, mostly (but not always) white painted and often with steel-framed curved corner window.

Not many inter-war suburban houses were actually in the true art deco style. There probably are a few odd ones about, but I don't know of any estates in the style. Art deco was mostly used on cinemas and some factory fronts (of which many are said to be art deco, but are actually moderne!)

All the same, a very nice, typically inter-war pair of semis.

You need a little John Betjeman looking up at it, while filming Metro-Land in 1973.........

Wonderful and what a great way to spend a few hours with your daughter. I love that you have added a little different interest over the two doors. I also like the idea of a moving company which could show a new family moving in or a family moving out. You could even do it as a family receiving some new furniture. B)

Thanks for all comments! Here is an update after working friday night. Almost finished slating the roof. Need to add flashing around the chimney, downpipes and front doors. Have just started on the front garden. Need to make quite a few flowers from the foliage I bought at the Manchester exhibition last year, bags still unopened...

semi3.jpg

Some more work today. Adding flowers to the garden, and the wall towards the street, as well as one of the garages. A scratch built wheelbarrow looks okay from distance, although close ups are quite cruel. Will add wooden fence between the brick abutments, and need to make a few hedges as well.

semi5.jpg

semi4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On second thoughts (and don't take this the wrong way, please) if you have vertical red tiles then the roof should probably be red tiled also......

Not necessarily so, our old house in Seaton, Devon, which was built in 1964 and overlooked the old branch line, had a grey wavy tiled roof, and flat red/brown vertical tiles on the upper storey. The houses around us were the same.

Thanks for comments/suggestions. I consideres having red tiles on the roof, but as I will try to give my layout a "northern look" I went for slate roof. Currently lots of other houses under construction, and my wife's bookshelf is used for storage...

bookshelf1.jpg

bookshelf.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Not many inter-war suburban houses were actually in the true art deco style. There probably are a few odd ones about, but I don't know of any estates in the style. Art deco was mostly used on cinemas and some factory fronts (of which many are said to be art deco, but are actually moderne!)

All the same, a very nice, typically inter-war pair of semis.

You need a little John Betjeman looking up at it, while filming Metro-Land in 1973.........

These houses in Northampton always struck me as being an interesting/odd hybrid of typical 30s semi. and art deco, particularly when they had their original curved steel framed bay windows:-

http://g.co/maps/wqbdz

Frinton Park Estate seems to be the only UK housing estate in a true Art Deco style, according to Google anyway:-

http://www.frinton.org/history/frinton-park-estate.php

Judging by the flickr page linked there it does look pretty darned Art Deco.

Archived