LSWR/SR rail built buffer stops in 4mm?

jonhall

I'm getting close to needing some buffers for Hamworthy, can anyone advise who does a representation of LSWR style bufferstops in 4mm? Ideally a supplier that will be at Scalefourum. There used to be some really nice photos of fotopic of the types seen at Hamworthy, but they were lost when fotopic disappeared :( .

Thanks,

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Jon

There is the Mike Models MM80 still available from Holt Models

or alternatively the ex Cuffs version now available from Springside code DA71 this is not strictly an LSWR type but is pretty close and the ones I have used on Fisherton Sarum.

post-243-0-02759100-1315990885_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
I am sure that Martin Finney kits were used on Swaynton. But they are not listed on his website.

Sorry for weighing in late. Chris Wesson has done some for Martin's layout, which have been available as white metal kits at Martin's stand at Scaleforum. You could contact Chris via the Finney website. He may still have some. They are not part of Martin's business, and I gather were produced in some numbers for the layout.

They are perfect and a joy to build. You do need to figure out how to isolate the rails, as it is all metal. I replaced the beam with a wooden version.

Regards

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall a decent drawing and and article in the Railwy Modeller c1968 showing how to build a LSWR rail-built buffer stop (Frank Crudas?). I certainly recall my late father quickly knocking out several for our layout of the time and very nice they looked too! Athough as they were built from Peco Code 100 rail they probably would not meet current standards! But no doubt use of Code 75 rail could make something that accords with our present expectations and much cheaper than using a kit.

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall a decent drawing and and article in the Railwy Modeller c1968 showing how to build a LSWR rail-built buffer stop (Frank Crudas?). I certainly recall my late father quickly knocking out several for our layout of the time and very nice they looked too! Athough as they were built from Peco Code 100 rail they probably would not meet current standards! But no doubt use of Code 75 rail could make something that accords with our present expectations and much cheaper than using a kit.

I think the age of the rail-built buffer stop suggests that bullhead, rather than flat-bottom, rail would have been used?

I think the age of the rail-built buffer stop suggests that bullhead, rather than flat-bottom, rail would have been used?

Quite! Clearly one has to file down the bottom flange (very easily done with a large coarse file with the rail on its side on a piece of softwood),

• 2 weeks later...

I've aquired some Ragstone buffers and very nice they are too, see this thread. http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__584722 thanks to all those who responded.

I have a feeling those at Hamworthy have 3 sections of bullhead as the buffer 'plank' so I'll need to do something about that, but the photo's of the buffers that were online, disappeared with fotopic, and I've a suspicion that the two on the sidings at the London end were different to each other..

Jon

Archived