The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cunning wheezes to prevent me spending money!

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Now I must first apologise as this is slightly model railway related and so if it disappears so be it.

Friends, I need advice on how not to spend money at this Saturday's session of the Shipley MR Show. No good saying don't go as I am obliged to attend.

No good saying don't take wallet and wonga as I need those for transport and refreshment.

So, what other cunning wheezes can you suggest please? Tried and tested only if possible. :boast:

P & 36E (recovering from lunch time).

Buy your rail fare in advance, take your sandwiches in a lunch box along with a vaccuum flask of favourite drink (or a tinny), then have your spare cash and cards sewn up inside your pockets.

It worked for me when I was eleven.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant ideas chaps. I knew I could rely on you.

Bought my tickets ages ago (have to go via York from Retford as that is now the general Retford Leeds service). Coming back Leeds/Donny/Retford though.

Am on a diet so won't need much food & if I do need any I will 'borrow' some from other people's plates whilst they are counting rivets.

Can take my own H2O.

However, the winning idea is Black Rat's; it would have been Coachman's but SWMBO (Mrs Mallard) is going to Lundin to see some cr***y show called Les Missorribles.

Can't see any traders objecting to Rat's idea :nono:, can you?

I won't take my rucksack either! Shall I bother to wash?

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Go on spend it you know you want to!! Iv'e just been in a similar situation myself LoL I bought a Wilesco traction engine to compliment my Mamods.

Boy Oh Boy is there a difference like going from a Moggy 1000 to a BMW Ive since bought a roller and two brass mobiles.Then thought put the brakeds on.Then guess what a near pefect unfired showmans came up at the right price. Oh well you only live once that little devil on the shoulder.I'll strangle him oneday!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am sorry but your help was not enough; I have spent money at the Shipley Show. Three Dapol 21t Hoppers and the rest was smallish scenic stuff (huts, cast buffer stops and that sort of thing). Probably the most bizarre purchase was a set of resin 4mm bee-hives :O; what use those on a blue diesel shunting layout? (I do have my own ideas re this by the way).

P @ 36E

P.S. Most enjoyable round trip by rail (via York on the way up).

Edited by Mallard60022

Too late now, of course, but I'd suggest something like I do - model in a scale you can't afford, in my case O Scale. That way you have to think long and hard about what models you really need, as opposed to just want or fancy, and you can't afford all those tempting 'impulse purchases' that mount up costs without you realising. :nono:

For two years now I have gone to the Telford O Scale Guildex and not spent any money bar the entry fee, whilst all around me models sell for hundreds of pounds... :O :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Too late now, of course, but I'd suggest something like I do - model in a scale you can't afford, in my case O Scale. That way you have to think long and hard about what models you really need, as opposed to just want or fancy, and you can't afford all those tempting 'impulse purchases' that mount up costs without you realising. :nono:

For two years now I have gone to the Telford O Scale Guildex and not spent any money bar the entry fee, whilst all around me models sell for hundreds of pounds... :O :no:

Oh b*m! I wish I'd read this before I went. This is, of course, the answer to life, The Universe and everything.Brilliant.

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

I am sorry but your help was not enough; I have spent money at the Shipley Show. Three Dapol 21t Hoppers and the rest was smallish scenic stuff (huts, cast buffer stops and that sort of thing). Probably the most bizarre purchase was a set of resin 4mm bee-hives :O; what use those on a blue diesel shunting layout? (I do have my own ideas re this by the way).

P @ 36E

P.S. Most enjoyable round trip by rail (via York on the way up).

you obviously need to bee hive yourself with your money in future.

• Like 1

Pretend you are a banker, spend everyone else's money then award you self a big bonus (Loco) as you have saved your own dosh!

Then go to all the stall owners, ask them to give you some money so you can spend some money with them.

And there, in a nutshell, is the modern financial system today.

....Shall I bother to wash?

Only if you want to stand out in a crowd....

...and that will be up against some prettty stiff competition.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Shipley Show - pie and mushy peas with mint/pepper may have been a highlight for many. Sadly not served until 12 noon.

Can we have some recommendations for M. R. Shows with great catering please ( I know about York). I'm thinking that my future show visits are going to be based on this very important feature with some regard given to layouts on show.

It would be good to hear about the quality of the feeding area too as there are often great things to eat/drink but hardly anywhere to enjoy it (e.g Blyth where the Club has have no control as it is a Sports Centre outlet - do not get me wrong, the food there was great and the staff really lovely.)

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Shipley Show - pie and mushy peas with mint/pepper may have been a highlight for many. Sadly not served until 12 noon.

Can we have some recommendations for M. R. Shows with great catering please ( I know about York). I'm thinking that my future show visits are going to be based on this very important feature with some regard given to layouts on show.

It would be good to hear about the quality of the feeding area too as there are often great things to eat/drink but hardly anywhere to enjoy it (e.g Blyth where the Club has have no control as it is a Sports Centre outlet - do not get me wrong, the food there was great and the staff really lovely.)

P @ 36E

'Steam' at Swindon this year was a top notch one for catering in my view - excellent choice of meals at reasonable prices served up by professional caterers in a marquee outside. In terms of value for money one of the best I've come across for in-show catering.

• Like 1