Wycrail '11 - High Wycombe - Saturday 5th November

Graham_Muz

I will be dropping by in the morning. Is there a stand for the club hosting the event? I'd quite like to chat to a club member about what the club's like and perhaps joining up.

Hi,

As Graham as already said there will be a clubstand at the show, it'll be placed just in the entrance opposite the ticket desk, there should be some members present on the stand most of day, if there isn't, feel free to ask any of the members that are around the show, they can be identified by their grey poloshirts with our logo on them. Don't worry, we are all very friendly and won't bite!

If you do wish to join the club, you can PM me, and I'll give your details on to our Membership Secretary, who can provide you with some information of the club and a welcome pack!

Only 2 weeks to go now, see you then!

Simon

1 Week to go until Wycrail 2011!

Hi,

Yes, the five day countdown to Wycrail has begun!

The exhibition opens at 10:00 this Saturday, the 5th November, at Joh Hampden Grammer School in High Wycombe and runs until 17:00

More info at: http://www.hwdmrs.co.uk/Wycrail.htm

Please do come along and say hello, looking forward to seeing some RMwebbers!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Well, Birkenhead is over so I'd better get my head in gear to be a guest operator on Catcott - can't see many free "engine drivers" and a controller on the front for the kids this weekend eh Chris ;)

Don't suppose a bit of torn up business card will work the couplings either ..........

Ian - I'm really disappointed to learn that we won't see you struggling over a 3-link this year!!

Nice article in MI2 though!

See you Friday evening - Exhibition Manager tells me that he's paid for your room already - lets hope that the Friday evening meal is less punishing this year!!

It has been raining, ocasional heavy-ish showers, but as I look outside now it's greyish,with low clouds moving quite fast.

I think I'll join the Met Office - even I could make a better job of forecasting the weather than they do!!

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Just got home from setting up as far as possible, well via the pub in fairness. :drinks: I'm looking after the Sports Hall again this year so if you are passing please say hello. The domestic authorities appear to have just completed the industrial catering of cakes for the show - so hopefully there will be enough for all. If you get the chance to come along then go for it - looks like being a good show again this year.

Hi

As St Simon advises, we are now awaiting the early am arrival of some 20+ layouts / traders. Simon's mum has the kitchen looking all ready to start service with the bacon rolls for members, exhibitors and traders and the space for the CAKES has already been cleared!

The weather has held up pretty well this afternoon / evening so hopefully this will continue for tomorrow.

See you at WYCRAIL '11

• RMweb Gold

Well, not long back from Wycombe and the 100-mile round trip proved to be very worthwhile. I rarely visit this type of regional/local exhibition (my last was St Albans a few years ago) for a variety of reasons, but everyone involved in today's event can give themselves a hearty pat on the back.

I didn't shoot any pictures, preferring simply to observe the layouts in operation. These and the trade stands were nicely balanced and the fact that they were spread over three main locations within the venue did not cause undue problems. The overall standard of the layouts was, IMHO, very good and it was nice to see many "in the flesh" for the first time, rather than in a magazine or on RMweb. Aberdeen Kirkhill took my vote for best at show, but that simply reflects my particular interests.

It was good to see Ian (Redgate Models) doing battle with the shunting pole on Catcott Burtle. Thanks also to Chris N for some useful info on layout lighting. CB, for anyone who has never seen it, packs an amazing amount of atmosphere and detail into a small space, while the colours and weathering are, to my eyes, spot on. Thanks also to Graham Muz and St Simon for an interesting chat. The latter's presence also meant that I got to view one of the 2011 Challenge entries up close and personal.

Trade-wise, the balance was excellent. I was particularly impressed with the range of locos, coaches, wagons and containers on the Wealistic Weathering stand. Nicely weathered stuff and at a reasonable price. I managed to pick up a few essential items from my shopping list, mainly small tools and glue.

The cakes matched the pre-show hype (!) and I managed to be the first into a delicious strawberry and raspberry gateau, greatly encouraged by the catering team and the promise of no cholestorol or calories B). Thanks to all involved for an enjoyable visit.

An excellent show as always. Thankyou to everyone involved in putting it on; organisers and exhibitors. Very busy as expected , but I managed to time my arrival just right to be able to park near the entrance. Inside, it was busy too, but not uncomfortable and the catering department seemed to be doing a roaring trade.

A good selection of layouts as usual. It was great to see Catcott Burtle in the flesh. It didn't disappoint and was every bit as good as Chris Nevard's excellent photographs. And it ran well too. Congratulations to Wansbeck Road for winning the trophy for best layout; it was well deserved. I'm not so into N gauge/2mmscale layouts generally, but Wasnsbeck Road and Nine Mills were excellent. I also liked Shanklin South; superbly compact. Of all the other layouts, Turtle Creek, Ballyconnell Road and Elm Park stood out for me. But my favourite this year was Roundhouse. Locomotive depots can be a bit boring, but not this one. It has the magificent roundhouse, working turntable and servicing facilities, but also a separate freight yard. There is always something to see - and hear with the DCC sound. Best of all though, all the locos ran smoothly and at realistic speeds, all controlled from iPhones. Whatever next!! I could have stood and watched all day.

I hope to post some photgraphs later, once I have sorted them out.

Well done everyone. Looking forward to Wycrail 2012 already!!

• RMweb Gold

Great show as ever and congrats to the club and its helpers for doing a very good job well up to the usual standard (including a very nice piece of coconut cake and a reasonable cuppa). Some interesting sights on the Hornby stand including a couple of Gresley full brakes which looked good to me although I'm no expert on the profile. And it was nice to see some of my favourite layouts plus some that were new to me including the very impressive Nine Mills which had an excellent 'railway atmosphere'.

A good show for layouts but very disappointed with the trade. I do think it is time for a bigger venue. Far too hot and far too crowded with too much jostling to be comfortable. If you are going to allow wheelchairs and pushchairs in then you must leave adequate space between stands/layouts - there wasn't and I saw more than once a guy in a wheelchair trying to fight his way through unable to stop and look at anything.

I must say I was bowled over by Wansbeck Road the detail was incredible and the operation flawless including uncoupling in 2mmFS !

Some other very good layouts as well - but that one just stood out.

Come for the cakes, stay for the layouts. But hands off the chocolate and nut flapjack - it's all mine I tells you. An excellent show, all the layouts were worthy of being there and a number of them were truly excellent.

I'm inclined to agree with Kenton about the venue, parking is an issue (although it seems very well managed); but the more serious problem is carrying your precious cakes through the crowd to the inadequate seating area. If not a new venue would it be possible to add another room or two so that the catering could be seperate?

What a fabulous show! This easily has to be the premier one day show at the moment. Thanks to Messers Redgate and McKechnie who gave up their Saturdays to play trains on my scenic plank. Thank you to the High Wycombe Club for putting on a fabulously well organised show. Thank you too for the 3 cakes and the benefactor who wishes to remain anonymous for the two bottles of micro-brewed ale from Abingdon. And finally thank you to all the RM webbers who said hello - I hope it wasn't to much of a disappointment!

<<edited for usual typos only spotted after posting>>

• RMweb Gold

A good show for layouts but very disappointed with the trade. I do think it is time for a bigger venue. Far too hot and far too crowded with too much jostling to be comfortable. If you are going to allow wheelchairs and pushchairs in then you must leave adequate space between stands/layouts - there wasn't and I saw more than once a guy in a wheelchair trying to fight his way through unable to stop and look at anything.

At about 13h30 - after consuming sarnies, tea and cake and thus in a good frame of mind - it did seem noticeably easier to move around with far fewer people in the main hall. I suppose overall it suffers one of the drawbacks of a one day exhibition in that there has to be a heavy throughput of visitors and apart from the drop-off between morning and afternoon peaks it will tend to get crowded. But in view of its presence over some years at its present venue can we assume that there isn't a suitable alternative available in Wycombe or close at hand?

Archived