Wycrail '11 - High Wycombe - Saturday 5th November

Graham_Muz

I do like the venue from the perspective of access - just off the M404, parking (I always go straight to the Girl's School), and familiarity. But at lunchtime when the troughs are uncovered the place just heaves. Afternoon just isn't an option for many and I suspect the date of 5th Nov might not have helped with many going to fireworks events/parties.

It isn't the only problems this venue has. The stage is far to dark for the layouts on it and from a personal perspective the climb is less than suitable for those with shaky pins.

The idea of expanding into a few more rooms might help to ease things a little, though small rooms with only one door access can be just as difficult.

I do wish there was some way you could herd into another space those who just stop mid-aisle for a chat to their long lost friends that they only met last week at the club room. I stood patiently behind three whilst trying to get through to view a layout. They seemed intent to block both the gangway and anyone else standing in front of the layout to view it. The conversation was loud and had nothing to do with the layout or the show and only briefly touched on the subject of model railways. I know this is not the problem of the show though more space in the aisles would help, it just seems an attitude of some visitors. Guys, take your long lost friends to the bar/cafe and buy them a drink. Leave the show to those that do not have all day to enjoy it.

Hi,

Well, Wycrail is over for another year and, from what I saw, it was a big success once again.

The Day started with lots of traders and layouts coming in and setting up. All of which were in time for the Bacon Butties being served, which went down a treat again, with no complaints! Around 15 minutes before the show opened there was a special celebration of one of crew operating Flintcombe in the sports hall, who was 91 on the day of the show, a round a happy birthday was sung by all who was present!

This year we had a different plan to ease the congestion in the main hall, we directed those people who parked around the back to the sports hall entrance. This is seemed to work, we only had one slight congestion area in the hall, near the stage, but even this kept flowing fairly well! I cannot comment on the numbers of the show, as we don't really know how many we've had just yet.

Not long after the doors opened, we made an RMweb-inpsired presentation of 3 cakes to Chris Nevard, a close up photo of them can be seen on his blog entry. But here he is accepting his offering:

post-7271-0-94627000-1320578591_thumb.jpg

One with his wig:

post-7271-0-49809900-1320578636_thumb.jpg

The cakes were of course home made, and I can vouch for this, were fantastic! Our wonderfull catering team did a superb job of selling cakes, drinks and sandwiches to the public!

I was there, not only as steward and opertaing Llangenydd (pronouced Flan-gen-ith, I believe), but also showing and talking about my 2011 Challenge Entry Roads A-C:

post-7271-0-20173600-1320578973_thumb.jpg

It attracted alot of interest, with many complimentary comments being made, even had another person who had done Work Experience there said how realistic it is! So thank you to all the people who dropped by and said nice stuff about it, partically RMwebbers,

especially Travellon and The Stationmaster who were very very complimentary about it! :good:

The show carried along, with what seemed a good flow of people, here's what it was like at around 14:30:

Dining Room:

post-7271-0-04314300-1320579509_thumb.jpg

The Lobby, where bring and buy was doing good trade:

post-7271-0-87311700-1320579678_thumb.jpg

The Main Hall:

post-7271-0-06288000-1320579784_thumb.jpg

The Sports Hall:

post-7271-0-65916100-1320579907_thumb.jpg

We also had a grand draw to win a cab ride on the Metropolitan Line on both A and S stock, thank you to London Underground for supplying the offer and to Steve Povey, who organised it and was selling ticket. Unfortunatly, I can't remember the name of the winner, or take a picture of the draw. The Best in show was won by Wansbeck Road, congratulations to them, worthy winner!

Meanwhile back at Calcot Burtle, Mr Nevard was scaring the punters even more (sorry for the poor Quality of this one)!

post-7271-0-62988000-1320580014_thumb.jpg

But Aberdeen Kirkhill, a lovely layout, was carrying on as normal behind:

post-7271-0-34455600-1320580231_thumb.jpg

But it was all over too soon, and it was time to pack up and get on home, this was the view of the main hall around half an hour after the end of the show:

post-7271-0-53624000-1320580360_thumb.jpg

It was the first (and probably last) show that I've done where I was packed and ready to go before Chris Nevard and started to dismantle Calcott, but when he did, it was quite impressive:

post-7271-0-38270900-1320580528_thumb.jpg

Lastly thank you to Ian (Redgate Models), who gave us a hand on Friday and Saturday evenings, as well as providing nice chats thought out the day.

On behalf of the High Wycombe & District Model Railway society, I hoped you all enjoyed the day and we hope to see you at Wycrail 2012!

Simon

Hi

After a couple of rather hectic days, a couple of glasses of red wine yesterday evening and and good night's sleep, on behalf of the Wycrail Exhibtion Committee, it now seems appropriate to reflect a little on yesterday's activities.

- Firstly, a big thank you to all of that came along to the show - we hope that you enjoyed yourselves and that you found layouts and products for sale that were to your liking - your comments above would seem to indicate that we got it mostly right.

- a very big thank you also to the owners / clubs who were exhibiting their very excellent layouts and congratulations to Wansbeck Road for winning the Best Layout In Show - a well deserved award, I must say. Some of you travelled extremely long distances to get to us and I was amazed to see that Aberdeen Kirkhill is appearing at another exhibition today - you guys must need some serious therapy!! I hope that you all had a trouble-free journey back home yesterday evening.

- we must also thank the traders that came along and we hope that they had a successful day - thank you for your support

- particular thanks must go to St Simon's mother, Pauline and her very excellent crew of ladies, who both produced and served us with some superb provenance in the public cafeteria - the standard of cakes this year was exemplary, with major deliveries from Chalfont St Somewhere, Swindon and the Exhibition Manager's grand-daughter especially - you know who you are - Thank You

- we must also not forget to thank the other catering crew who work tirelessly behind the scenes to prepare lunch for the exhibitors, traders and club members. Great patience is required here as we never get to lunch when we are supposed to!!

- and finally, thanks to the membership of High Wycombe & District Model Railway Society, your efforts to set up, steward and break down the show are fully appreciated - witness the positive comments in the posts above.

So.....that's it over for another year and here's to:

WYCRAIL '12

Saturday 3rd November 2012

HWDMRS' 40th Exhibition

...Some of you travelled extremely long distances to get to us and I was amazed to see that Aberdeen Kirkhill is appearing at another exhibition today - you guys must need some serious therapy!! I hope that you all had a trouble-free journey back home yesterday evening...

From all the operators of Aberdeen Kirkhill I would like to say again how we thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend. The weather coming down on Friday night was pretty horrible but the journey back to Derbyshire only took 2 hours, including a stop at Sainsbury's for food for saturday night. The weather for the return journey was excellent and we have never seen the M40 and M42 so clear of traffic. All in all an absolute pleasure.

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick note to thank all at the High Wycombe & District Model Railway society for their hospitality yet again. I seem to have got away with playing with one of the country's premier layouts all day, blagging my 2-8-2 onto it and getting loads of pics posted all over t'internet and yet still everyone thanks me :huh:

Seriously the thanks are all mine chaps, it was a blast as ever.

Special thanks go to the Harvester for not making me ill, the superbly appointed room and service at the Clifton (can someone pass on my feedback to them please), the ladies who kept us going with lunch and cake, Chris for letting me loose on his trainset yet again and finally everyone at the HW&DMRS, I won't name names in case I forget someone, but you are all top chaps.

I spent more than I expected too, bagging two old Hornby tender drive locos from the bring and buy stall, some paint and a loco storage box also ended up in my car on the way home.

So that's it for the year now, it's been a hectic autumn with two appearances for Summat Colliery, helping out on two layouts and managing to squeeze in a visit to another show in between.

Must get 4gig started ready for 2013 .........

IAN (KingsCrossSuburban)

That is a fantastic series of pictures - thanks for posting them! On behalf of HW&DMRS, I'm delighted that there was sufficient of interest for you to capture it all and to them pass your work on - Many Thanks.

IAN (RedgateModels)

You're too modest, Ian!! Whilst we all know that you had a ball during Saturday, what others on here may not know is that you travelled half the length of the country on Friday afternoon and then spent several hours helping the club out with all of the 'nasty' set up jobs. Spending Saturday 'playing' with Catcott Burtle was your reward for a load of hard work, for which the HW&DMRS is truly grateful! Thank You and you will be very welcome again next year!! Now....What was that you were saying about a 'Risk Assessment' for the stage stairs??!!

Archived