Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bob Symes - 70's modelling programme

dave flint

I wonder if anyone can shed any further light on a programme I remember seeing as a child in the 1970's. I'm pretty sure it was on on saturday nights, and Bob Symes presented it.

One clip sticks in my mind to this day - a large scale garden layout, with a remote control petrol engined two tone green 47, with a plume of exhaust.

Any further info much appreciated.

Guest Natalie Graham

That two-tone Brush Type 4 (No-one had thought of calling them 47s back then) was the subject of a detailed account of its construction over several issues of Model Railways

• RMweb Gold

I think his Cl 47 was powered by a Taplin Twin model boat diesel engine but i can`t remember wether it was a hydraulic transmission.It was G1 & blew up several times!!!

It was powered by a Taplin Twin, and a lot of the problems he had running it were down to the Taplin wearing out and losing compression. It was also a true Co-Co with a generator that doubled as a starter motor. I think he replaced the Taplin with an Irvine motor of some description.

A lot of the work he did on that loco was years ahead of it's time, and I think the first successful commercial applications of Bob Symes' work was in the mid 1990s, when Wada Locomotive Works started producing very highly detailed G1 Us outline Bo-Bos using an OS (10?) glow plug engine and an almost identical generator ###### starter motor arrangement.

I believe he collaborated with Stewart Hine on a couple of projects.

Speaking of Stewart Hine, Does anyone remember his 2mm scale model of 2881? Talk about scratch building ! All the wheels scratch built as well as a 7 pole motor, custom made to fit into the boiler Incredible modelling in the 1970s. One wonders what he could produce today given the technical advancements that have been made in the hobby over the past 40 odd years?

Sorry. drifted a bit OT

Regards

Richard

I'm too young to remember this programme when it was first shown, but I do recall it being repeated on BBC2 daytime during school holidays in the late 80s. My own favourite Bob Symes memory is "A Lineside Look At Model Railways", which was shown on Channel 4 over the Christmas period in ... erm ... it must have been 1984, because I was in the final year of Infant School at the time. We taped it, and I rewatched it regularly right up until we finally got rid of our Betamax video.

• RMweb Gold

And the theme tune was...

Trains and boats and planes da da da dee.......etc first shown in June / July 1975.

And if like me you love the nostalgia of this theme tune its off this album by The Shadows http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001J50QFO/ref=oss_product

Tracks 7 and 21.

Takes me right back.

• RMweb Gold

My own favourite Bob Symes memory is "A Lineside Look At Model Railways", which was shown on Channel 4 over the Christmas period in ... erm ... it must have been 1984, because I was in the final year of Infant School at the time. We taped it, and I rewatched it regularly right up until we finally got rid of our Betamax video.

Happily, available on DVD, so you can re-live it all over again!

If the old grey cells aren't fooling me, I seem to remember him showing us how to build pointwork and measuring up Horsted Keynes Station as a scratch build project.

I remember that, I can remember him with his tap measure pointing out that the platform flagstones weren't all the same size, some were an inch or so smaller, and even as a teenager, thinking to myself that the project was after all in 4mm scale ;) He was very enthusiastic about his presenting though, and you cant knock that.

ISTR the diesel being dubbed the 'Symek', perhaps because of its transmission, or am I thinking of something else?

Edit, to say I actually managed to make a post without needing an edit... :yahoo_mini:

I remember that, I can remember him with his tap measure pointing out that the platform flagstones weren't all the same size, some were an inch or so smaller, and even as a teenager, thinking to myself that the project was after all in 4mm scale ;) He was very enthusiastic about his presenting though, and you cant knock that.

ISTR the diesel being dubbed the 'Symek', perhaps because of its transmission, or am I thinking of something else?

Edit, to say I actually managed to make a post without needing an edit... :yahoo_mini:

The 'Symek' was a separate project, which he mentioned in a note at the end of the article on building the Brush Type 4. The Brush was an inspirational model; it was also one of the first articles to have a scale drawing of a diesel locomotive, which inspired a cousin of mine to build a 4mm scale one.

I have seen his surname on the credits of something recently; I suspect one of his children works in television.

post-7090-0-37857300-1316987586_thumb.jpg

After a little search I found this, the BBC book that went with the series, which mentions that the programmes wnet out on BBC2 at 6.40pm on Tues and Thurs starting on 13th May 1975 and would be repeated on Sat mornings from the 11th Oct. 1975. The series covered Model aircraft (free flight and Controlled), Model yachts, Model power boats, Military Modeeling and Model railways.

The book came with full sizes plans for building the model yacht, frigate(Leander Class) and glider that were featured in the programme. ......and I still have them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There should be two DVDs available.

There was a third: How to Build a Model Railway, presented by Bob Symes and featuring the construction of a small N gauge layout by Dave Lowery. The three programmes were available individually in 2003 and a boxed set was produced in 2004.

post-7090-0-37857300-1316987586_thumb.jpg

After a little search I found this, the BBC book that went with the series, which mentions that the programmes wnet out on BBC2 at 6.40pm on Tues and Thurs starting on 13th May 1975 and would be repeated on Sat mornings from the 11th Oct. 1975. The series covered Model aircraft (free flight and Controlled), Model yachts, Model power boats, Military Modeeling and Model railways.

The book came with full sizes plans for building the model yacht, frigate(Leander Class) and glider that were featured in the programme. ......and I still have them.

I Also Still have this book some where but unopened in 35 years, I remember at the time, being very disappointed at the time over the detail / accuracy of the plans as I liked the programmes. Also my skills were much better than the book. However having spent many years out of the hobby they are now worse than back then!!

The Q

Bob's main interest is now his 10 1/4" railway round his garden where he's got a Burryport (?) 0-6-0 and a very pretty GWR 0-4-2 14XX. He still has and runs his very extensive G1 which is a sight to see!

Got a surprise a couple of years ago to see Bob Symes making the occasional appearance on Eisenbahn Romantik, a railway prog. shown on German satelite TV . He speaks the language fluently as I believe he's from a German aristocratic family? Last time I saw him he was having a cab ride on a vintage OBB electric. The programmes concentrate on German/Austrian and Swiss railways and occasionally feature railway modelling. About a year ago they did "A Long Night of Railway Modelling". Started at midnight, finished about 5am!

• RMweb Gold

He speaks the language fluently as I believe he's from a German aristocratic family?

According to Wikipedia (usual disclaimer) his full moniker is Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmansdorff.

Bob Symes probably fits better on his chequebook...

With regards the original program - Model World, this was repeated in the 1990s during the day on BBC2. I recall there were programs not just on railways but other subjects sucha as aircraft/ships. There were 3 on railways, detailing various things, mainly related to building of a model of Horsted Keynes station. There was also the famous 47 diesel in the last program.

I have copies of these on MPEG file now, originally recorded on VHS at the time and later transferred to PC.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived