The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

4x4 is driven to Snowdon summit again

Coldgunner

Same pratt again!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15108712

Police and national park officials are investigating after a 4x4 vehicle has been left near the summit of Snowdon again.

It comes less than a month after a similar incident with the same vehicle. It is not known who drove the Vauxhall Frontera up the mountain this time.

Snowdonia Mountain Railway staff arrived to find it parked near the summit visitors centre.

National park officials condemned what had happened as "irresponsible".

Alan Kendall, general manager of the railway said: "After we found the vehicle this morning, we checked the point mechanism on the line to ensure that no damage had been caused overnight. Our trains are running.

"We have a very busy weekend ahead of us and this vehicle will not be moved until next week at the earliest.

'Totally unacceptable'

"To move the vehicle sooner would mean suspending trains and spoiling visitors' plans. We won't be doing that."

North Wales Police were told earlier on Thursday that a vehicle was parked near the summit building and their inquiries are underway.

Snowdonia National Park Authority officials are also investigating.

Authority chief executive Aneurin Phillips said: "This irresponsible behaviour is totally unacceptable and I urge the police to prosecute the offender and impound and dispose of the vehicle."

The authority said in a statement it was deeply disappointed by the "irresponsible act that has again posed unnecessary danger and risk to both mountain users, the landscape and Hafod Eryri [visitor centre] itself".

The park authority said it has been in contact with police, mountain rescue teams and the mountain railway to immobilise the vehicle "in the interest of public safety and to prevent damage to our property".

The same 4x4 was found abandoned on 3 September but 365m (400 yards) below the summit.

It was eventually taken down by the mountain railway on a trailer.

A BBC reporter, who travelled to the summit on Thursday, said the vehicle matched the description and number plate of the vehicle from the earlier incident.

It has not been confirmed who drove the vehicle up the mountain on this occasion.

A man has been charged with dangerous driving offences in relation to the earlier incident and is due before magistrates on 7 October.

I suggest that to save money they roll it down the steepest side, follow in the footsteps of L.A.D.A.S perhaps?

• Like 1

Lucky the country isn't in a depression so we are all happy to waste money on this $%£$%er recovering his vehicle - the solution is obvious.

I read that the SMR sent the owner of the 4x4 a £3000 bill for recovering it off the mountain the first time. It hasn't been paid...........

I read that the SMR sent the owner of the 4x4 a £3000 bill for recovering it off the mountain the first time. It hasn't been paid...........

In that case, the SMR should find a corner of Llanberis yard to keep it in until the bill does get paid! £6k for two recoveries, plus maybe a fiver per day for storage - and if they don't pay up, then it can be delivered over to the appropriate authorities when the tax disc runs out!

£6k for two recoveries, plus maybe a fiver per day for storage - and if they don't pay up, then it can be delivered over to the appropriate authorities when the tax disc runs out

Thing's only probably worth c.£1500 though. No great incentive to shell out to get it back.

Couldn't care less myself, but as I say, £6k to release the car? "No thanks, just keep it" would be an obvious response. Bit like where the police impound a car for Road Traffic offences, and the release fee is greater than the car's value. It'd get cubed.

Unless your inference is that this cost should be pursued through legal avenues? Unclear. Either way, that's for folk better versed in such matters than me.

Is there any reported damage to the Railway and/or the mountain paths? Any damage should be included in that bill. Although its not just value, there could be criminal damage, dangerous driving and various other charges.

Edited by Coldgunner