Bachmann TPO

Martin_R

Technical/prototype question:

This diag. TPO has a toilet vent at the end of the coach. Looking at the real thing, some pictures show the outline of a toilet window. Clearly shown here: http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/museum/SVR/freight/SVR_W80300.jpg

I would not be suprised to see this on the TPO's converted from SK's in the late 60's/70's, but on a purpose built TPO, why would such an aperture have been included and then blanked off. The side sheeting is unique to the TPO's.

Does anyone have any insight? Was it originally intended that they had toilet windows and this was changed during construction? Were they released into traffic with such windows? Or was a standard fitment incorporating the toilet vent installed and modified to suit, rather than redesigning a whole new fitting?

Unless the pictures of the preserved vehicle highlights damage repair, which would suggest plating from a normal mk1 spliced onto the TPO....

If anyone has any insights, I'd be interested. This may be a bit OT on the topic of the model.

Just curious. Not sure if Parkin has anything to say (and don't have access to a copy atm)

Guest stuartp

My home made one has a toilet window and I copied off a photo. However, it was a long time ago and I couldn't tell you which photo or what the diagram number was. I'm going to have to go searching for sorting frame side photos of the ScR trio now, I do hope I don't have to take a drill to my shiny new toy ! sad.gif

Built in 1959, the Diagram 720 Sorting Vans were fitted with a standard 2'-3" bodylight for the toilet compartment - plated over post the 1963 Great Train Robbery (part of the measures to reduce the number of bodylights) though the toilet compartment was retained - hence replacing the vent (BR Toilet Compartments smelled bad enough, what would it have been like without a vent.....? - though somehow on the Bachmann model the vent has crept down the bodyside a good bit (guess the laser slipped wink.gif).

Splicing bits of other vehicles in is for 4mm plastic kits not 12" to the foot rolling stock smile.gif (grant you they did it with old wooden framed stock)...!

My home made one has a toilet window and I copied off a photo. However, it was a long time ago and I couldn't tell you which photo or what the diagram number was. I'm going to have to go searching for sorting frame side photos of the ScR trio now, I do hope I don't have to take a drill to my shiny new toy ! sad.gif

I know we've already had this discussion, or have we...? Which were the ScR Three again, Stuart?

I'll now go straight to it further up this very thread, just watch. rolleyes.gif

I know we've already had this discussion, or have we...? Which were the ScR Three again, Stuart?

I'll now go straight to it further up this very thread, just watch. rolleyes.gif

80315-80317 inc........! Chard

"Warning this threads being robbed by Bandits"..."Warning this threads being robbed by Bandits".."Warning this threads being robbed by Bandits".."Warning this threads being robbed by Bandits"...

(Sorry Stuart)smile.gif

Guest stuartp

Thanks gents. Now I know the MZ one isn''t wrong, I think I'll just renumber my ficticious Galloway Sorting Tender and leave it in post '63 condition. The wobbly teenage lash-up has been donated to Mrs P's half of the trainset to go behind Spencer.

Edit - Third pic down

I know we've already had this discussion, or have we...?

More than likely. I was probably in the loft looking for that 40 at the time... smile.gif

Various thoughts on Toilets!

Thank you Bob and Startup. An interesting history. I wonder why they didn't plate over the large door windows (I can understand the small top lights being left). Technically therefore these models are only correct for 1963 onwards, not late 1950's. Lots of history even within one single diagram. Now, are their any pictures of said toilet windows?

Sorry to hear Bachmann have incorrectly placed the toilet vent - again probably a designer working in HK somewhere from a weight diagram or some other general drawing (or have they placed the vent at the same height as the toilet vent in the shallower Mk1 Pullman windows, given they follow a similar one piece side/ends design?). A shame, its not exactly the hardest thing to get right, they seem to have got everything else OK.

At least 3 Blue/Grey ones on display available for sale in Holborn. Just collected my 1960's TPO (advantage of a day off!). Pics or hopefully a video review to follow over the next few days. Looks through the box window to be fantastic in the flesh.

My local store have a theory. The initial MZ batch are post removal of the cage/collection gear, and MZ have the rights to this moulding (?).

Would Bachmann be able to produce the earlier version with cage, and sell it in their full product range? This would tally with the Scenecraft TPO apparatus now advertised on the Bachmann site.

Thus MZ gain from the initial glut of sales for the new model, and Bachmann get the novelty value set with flying mail sacks (well perhaps it won't be a working replica!)

Sounds like a plan.

I have Blue/grey and early versions, must say that the finish of both is excellent.

N

My local store have a theory. The initial MZ batch are post removal of the cage/collection gear, and MZ have the rights to this moulding (?).

Would Bachmann be able to produce the earlier version with cage, and sell it in their full product range? This would tally with the Scenecraft TPO apparatus now advertised on the Bachmann site.

Thus MZ gain from the initial glut of sales for the new model, and Bachmann get the novelty value set with flying mail sacks (well perhaps it won't be a working replica!)

Sounds like a plan.

I have Blue/grey and early versions, must say that the finish of both is excellent.

N

I was under the impression the tooling would pass to Bachmann after a period (possibly a year) for them to produce more models. Same thing has been done with exclusive diesel retools in the past.

Dapol had a small dig at this method in mremag today as a response to a question on "cost of tooling" saying they would never use this agreement and the commissioner owns the tool with them.

Just to stir things up a little. It might be the case that the new release run of Heljan 26/0s are more 'Limited Edition' than these limited editions..........

When is limited 'limited'???

Just to stir things up a little. It might be the case that the new release run of Heljan 26/0s are more 'Limited Edition' than these limited editions..........

Guest baldrick25

An image of the original W80300 as seen at the Severn Valley Railway coach sheds , just after its repaint on 8th August 2010.

Sorry the colours are slightly wrong but the damn orange lighting made it very difficult.

A large image is available ( and others) if required.

2010-08-08217.jpg

Where's the evidence that it's not limited? A limited "exclusive" run of a set number (6000 in total in this case) of something meets the criteria. Hopefully Modelzone will be encouraged by sales of these to do some more of the less mainstream rolling stock. That Bachmann retains the rights to the tooling is neither here nor there, once this initial 6000 has gone, I'm pretty sure Bachmann are not suddenly going to immediately issue the same variants again in the hope that there's continued sales - extremely unlikely, given the vehicles relatively limited appeal. No all they've really done is gain the right to use the same tooling at some later/unspecified date. We won by getting quite a decent model, Modelzone win (hopefully) by selling them all - none discounted!, and Bachmann win by getting someone else to stump up a portion of the cost of manufacturer, and the rights to it much later. No paranoid thoughts of conspiracy, none of this info was hidden from the buyers, its just sound business all round surely?

Where's the evidence that it's not limited? A limited "exclusive" run of a set number (6000 in total in this case) of something meets the criteria. Hopefully Modelzone will be encouraged by sales of these to do some more of the less mainstream rolling stock. That Bachmann retains the rights to the tooling is neither here nor there, once this initial 6000 has gone, I'm pretty sure Bachmann are not suddenly going to immediately issue the same variants again in the hope that there's continued sales - extremely unlikely, given the vehicles relatively limited appeal. No all they've really done is gain the right to use the same tooling at some later/unspecified date. We won by getting quite a decent model, Modelzone win (hopefully) by selling them all - none discounted!, and Bachmann win by getting someone else to stump up a portion of the cost of manufacturer, and the rights to it much later. No paranoid thoughts of conspiracy, none of this info was hidden from the buyers, its just sound business all round surely?

I actually agree Bob and we have 3 TPOs. It was just that someone pointed out to me the build numbers of the recent 26/0s and that they are pretty small!

Looking at the number of limited editions doing the rounds I begin to worry about the market place. Quite rightly you point out that the TPO was new tooling. Roll on another LE based on unique and new tooling.....

• RMweb Premium

At least 3 Blue/Grey ones on display available for sale in Holborn.

Not any more! With no more available on the website and none in stock at my closest store (Guildford), I gave the Holborn store a call and they were more than happy to post me a blue/grey one. Should be here tomorrow, with a bit of luck :)

Video review now on Youtube (finally got round to uploading it on office's bandwidth!). I admit not perfect, and despite listing the features I wanted to discuss, some got forgotton (hence additions in video description!). I do rabbit on a bit...

Video review now on Youtube (finally got round to uploading it on office's bandwidth!). I admit not perfect, and despite listing the features I wanted to discuss, some got forgotton (hence additions in video description!). I do rabbit on a bit...

Excellent vid review!

• 3 weeks later...

Incidentally, these vehicles appear to have been allocated to the Western when new. When did they start to migrate further afield?

Dave.

Sorry to top an older thread, but did this Q get answered?

More specifically for my layout, would they ever have been seen in North London on the ex-GNR or LNER lines?

Archived