Bachmann TPO

Martin_R

He was as good as his word. The post has arrived.

They look fantastic.

Excellent! Can you read the postage costs near the letter box? If so how much are they.

Regards

Matt

Excellent! Can you read the postage costs near the letter box? If so how much are they.

Regards

Matt

The detail is very well applied. The postage costs look even clearer under a magnifying glass:

IMG_7220.jpg

TPOpostboxdetail.jpg

Well done Bachmann and Modelzone (and of course Darren at their Crawley store).

• RMweb Premium

Three red ones expected here; might have to review the budget and look at a trio of b/g as well since they ran in that scheme for quite a few years. Nice work. The Post Office red ones (pre-b/g) would indicate that mail posted here must bear and additional 1d (one old penny) postage. I think that might have been ½d in earlier times.

The value of stamps hand-franked aboard a TPO is already in some cases quite an attractive collector's item. As the TPO is no more and interest in philately continues they may become more sought after and increase in value over time.

Thanks guys, I need to check Parkin and probably get some transfers made up to reflect the 1/2d Late fee applicable for my May 1974 period.

Regards

Matt

May '74? That's post decimalization mate wink.gif

(15th February '71)

May '74? That's post decimalization mate wink.gif

(15th February '71)

Checking Parkin, he states: "Late fee surcharges - 1880 to July 1969 1/2d. July 1969 to Feb 1971 1d. Fed 1971 to June 1974 1/2d. June 1974 to Sept 1976 1p. Sept 1976 abolished."

Mean my 'window of opportunity' is pretty small. But then, thats why I picked May 1974.

Doesn't mean he's right of course, but it's not corrected in the supplement...

EDIT: I think it might be a typo / printing error. Should probably read 1/2p, as the caption to an image of 30816 dated august 1972 (page 37 of the supplement) reads "The late fee is a halfpenny".

Regards

Matt

That is bizarre! Is it a typo and should be 1p and 1/2p, or did LSD survive as legal tender for certain things by special dispensation? I know sixpences remained legal tender until 1980 (remember using as bus fare!), but how did this work? Obviously it would be reflected in the stamps affixed to the letter, rather than actual coinage, but how was it administered?

Sorry for the off-roading of the topic, it's my obsession with social history again. Nurse, my medicine, please....ohmy.gif

EDIT: Matt has just identified exactly that issue!

That is bizarre! Is it a typo and should be 1p and 1/2p, or did LSD survive as legal tender for certain things by special dispensation? I know sixpences remained legal tender until 1980 (remember using as bus fare!), but how did this work? Obviously it would be reflected in the stamps affixed to the letter, rather than actual coinage, but how was it administered?

Sorry for the off-roading of the topic, it's my obsession with social history again. Nurse, my medicine, please....ohmy.gif

EDIT: Matt has just identified exactly that issue!

No worries, I'd rather get it right now, then correct something thats wrong to something else thats wrong. I wouldn't have picked up on it if you had not of said.

It's good all this RMWeb malarky isn't it?! ;)

Matt

British decimal currency came into use on 15th February 1971, so the use of 1/2d would most certainly seem to be a misprint!

1/2p was the closest equivalent we could get to the old penny (1d). This was, unfortunately, a rounding up equivalence, as one new penny (1p) was actually worth 2.4 old pennies (2.4d) - an amount that could not be produced in coins of the realm!

Some pre-decimal coins remained in use for a long time, because they were exact decimal equivalences - the old sixpence (6d) was 2.5p, one shilling was 5p, two shillings 10p and half-crown (2 shillings and sixpence, or 2/6d) equated to 12.5(new pence), 12.5p.

The shilling and two shilling coins remained in full circulation and use after the abolition of the half new penny (0.5p) a few years later.

Incidentally, for philatelists and TPO users (and in fact all stamp buyers), Decimalisation Day came in the midst of a widespread strike of GPO (General Post Office) workers and very, very few decimal stamps were bought on D-Day. The biggest effect of this was the extreme shortage of First Day of Issue postmarks on the new stamps. (Probably any stamps still on enelopes showing any date cancellation during February 1971 could be collectable!)

There was a period of grace (a couple of weeks) during which items still in the system with pre-decimal stamps were accepted and delivered without any surcharges or penaltiesif I recall correctly, but this probably didn't go beyond early March 1971, by which time the strike was all over.

Hope this helps!

Richard

Bearing in mind that the nets have been removed, what period does the early red one cover? I have 1 on order, noting it to be a WR example. My layout however is East Anglian MDR (My D*** Railway so I run what I want), so can I really use it for ER? Or would it be better to add the nets etc, I believe someone does it as an aftermarket kit?

4 of these have turned up on ebay last night, 1 of each model £45.00 post free, the seller states these are "Sold Out", I rang Modelzone today and ordered 2 x "1 Blue/Grey" & "1 Red 1980's" and the Lady said nothing about being sold out yet.

Bearing in mind that the nets have been removed, what period does the early red one cover? I have 1 on order, noting it to be a WR example. My layout however is East Anglian MDR (My D*** Railway so I run what I want), so can I really use it for ER? Or would it be better to add the nets etc, I believe someone does it as an aftermarket kit?

that TPO never had nets fitted with that running No

that TPO never had nets fitted with that running No

What, W80300?

There is a photo of it in Parkin's Mk1 book with nets and traductor arms.

There is also another, colour, photo of it in 1969 still in original red without net or arms.

Do you, or anyone know who's marketing a kit for the net's etc,I would have thought it was a little early for any manufacturer to have had this ready seeing as the coach has only just been released.

Pete.

What, W80300?

There is also another, colour, photo of it in 1969 still in original red without net or arms.

i was going of when this model was anounsed the no quorted was for one never fitted with net in service so the model may have changed or the pic is from before going in to service

Do you, or anyone know who's marketing a kit for the net's etc,I would have thought it was a little early for any manufacturer to have had this ready seeing as the coach has only just been released.

Pete.

Usual proviso. No connection blah, blah, blah.

247 Developments

247 developments

Part no. C38a Consisting of; T P O Traductor kit, Etched net frame, cast arms (8),Round side lamps (2) and piece of netting.

The nets a bit naff but the rest of the bits should be easy enough to adapt.

Cheers,

Porcy

i was going of when this model was anounsed the no quorted was for one never fitted with net in service so the model may have changed or the pic is from before going in to service

I remember some comments to that effect. Whether,as you say, it may have been another number I don't know.

What, W80300?

W80300 had a net and traductor arms when it entered service on the Paddington - Penzance postal on 19th October 1959. I have the December 1959 issue of Trains Illustrated in front of me which has a feature on this latest exciting development on BR. When it had them removed I have no idea.

The illustration of the model looks to me as if the original PO red livery is spot on but always remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Chris

Archived