The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

pink Floyd Night!

simon hudson

• RMweb Gold

Pink Floyd? Their albums were a question on "Pointless" yesterday - and so I was reminded that I have 5 or 6. The OP is quite right that "Echoes" from the Meddle album is among their best tracks, but then I always preferred the slightly-druggy stuff to the hard rock, which isn't me at all. That album came out in 1972, I think.

When Deb was signed of by the head of Orthopaedic Surgery here at Le Mans (he'll be retired before she is ready for the new knee that might help her walk again) he was scandalised to learn that this Anglaise didn't like Pink Floyd but prefers English Folk-Rock. Of course at the bi-ennial Le Mans Classic event, one may well bump into Nick Mason, Pink Floyd drummer and classic car owner/driver. He has a Ferrari 250 GTO, reg number 250GTO......

One of my lasting regrets is not having seen The Floyd I missed out on their 72-73 Darkside of the moon tour I was always into prog rock saw Genesis 5 times and Yes a couple of times, all at Newcastle City Hall.Looking back I much prefer that type of venue than the later 80-90's excesses of the big Arena events.However I can thoroughly recommend The Brit Floyd show I saw it earlier this year and was very impressed so much so I'm in the process of booking next years ticket at Venue Cymru

Guest Max Stafford

Aussie Floyd aren't bad either. I'm not a big 'Wall Fan' myself, I find it a bit downbeat. The 'Piper' era early stuff is more my thing where they flitted between freakbeat, psychedeia and whimsicality although Wish you Were Here is pretty damn good.

Dave.

One of my lasting regrets is not having seen The Floyd I missed out on their 72-73 Darkside of the moon tour I was always into prog rock saw Genesis 5 times and Yes a couple of times, all at Newcastle City Hall.Looking back I much prefer that type of venue than the later 80-90's excesses of the big Arena events.However I can thoroughly recommend The Brit Floyd show I saw it earlier this year and was very impressed so much so I'm in the process of booking next years ticket at Venue Cymru

Damn - missed it last night too................

Yup - born 5 years too late to be old enough to get to concerts in this era - so missed out on the earlier Floyd & Genesis - but did manage "Lizzie" at Hammersmith in '77 as my first..............

• RMweb Premium

Saw them in 1970 at Strathclyde Uni when they did the whole of Atom Heart Mother live - and I also met them that night, as I was in the Union when a call went out for volunteers with a few hours to spare to assist the roadies shift equipment and set up. I was one such, and those who helped got a free admission, priority in where to sit (floor only - but we all squatted at the front). Since then, I've always enjoyed Atom Heart Mother, as every time I play it, I'm back in that hall again.

They finished the set with a very creditable live Saucerful of Secrets.

The following night the second gig was a little known band called Yes, who had recently formed - I think it was the first (pre Steve Howe/pre Rick Wakeman) lineup - they were amazingly good as well.

Edit - correction to the date - the gig was in late 1970, not 1971 as it was in my first term at Strathclyde.

• RMweb Premium

I have to confess to a slight preference for the post-Waters Floyd - a bit "safe" maybe, but I got absolutely sick of Waters's tiresome, bad-tempered ranting.

IMHO "The Wall" would have made a brilliant single album (too much repetition of themes for me) and I just loathe The Final Cut (not really a Floyd album at all). Shame "Division Bell" was their last studio effort.

Having said that, "Dark Side Of The Moon" is one of my all-time favourite prog albums, a real classic - and one of my fave singles from 1967 is "See Emily Play".

As I missed every programme last night, thank goodness for IPlayer!

Guest Max Stafford

I'm not over-excited about the noodly middle section, but the opening minute or so of Interstellar Overdrive is still one of the finest guitar riffs ever created!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not over-excited about the noodly middle section, but the opening minute or so of Interstellar Overdrive is still one of the finest guitar riffs ever created!

Dave.

I'd go along with that - pretty good stuff from Syd who was never regarded as a guitar hero!

"Astronomy Domine" on "Ummagumma" has to be one of my favourite live Floyd tracks - "Eugene" gets a pretty good workout too on the same album.

It's funny how everyone calls 'Dark Side Of The Moon' a prog rock album because to me it doesn't sound 'proggy' at all! I've had it on in the car constantly for the last week or so and to my ears it sounds very modern, as though it were recorded only last week. I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something very 'rich' about it, if that makes any sense. Driving to and from the SVR diesel gala yesterday I played it again.... the miles just flew by.

Since then, I've always enjoyed Atom Heart Mother, as every time I play it, I'm back in that hall again.

Another fan of AHM - memories of playing it loud during the cold winter of 92/93 in my first (freezing cold) band house in Reading. One of the students in the computer department used to sneak us into the university to keep warmlog on to a very primitive internet - the first thing I ever downloaded were some Floyd lyrics - Echoes in fact - which brings us full circle. Animals never really clicked, and I've only just started listening to The Wall again after along hiatus - as Gilmour says, it's a bit of a whinge. However, I really like The Final Cut very much - not really sure why it has such a bad rep as it showcases some of Gilmour's best fretwork, despite his dislike of the project. Finally got to see them in London in 94 and that night they played the set with the complete DSOTM - magic.

Archived