Sound for a Heljan 33

dasatcopthorne

• RMweb Gold

a quick forum search throws up this thread from last year...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13408-best-place-for-speaker-in-Heljan-33/page__hl__heljan+33__fromsearch__1

a few suggestions on there and advice on various speaker set ups

have a look on my youtube channel, fastlinegrid, for a couple of vids of my howes V3.5 fitted crompton too

I've done a v4 version which I haven't had time to video yet. It has all the new v4 'bells & whistles'. You could have a look at my 26 & 27 videos on You Tube to give you an idea;

http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo?feature=mhsn

I managed to shoehorn an 8 ohm 27 x 40mm speaker into a sealed enclosure in the tanks and it sounds fantastic. You can get them from from Digitrains.

I can also reblow v3.5 16Mb chips with my 33.

Bif

Bif

Hi Bif.

I've had a look on the Digitrains website but no Class 33 on a V4 chip mentioned yet. Probably a bit behind with updates.

Two Q's please?

If I buy from them do I need to specify your sound files or are yours they only one they use.

Do you know what sounds are allocated to each F key please?

Dave

Hi Bif.

I've had a look on the Digitrains website but no Class 33 on a V4 chip mentioned yet. Two Q's please? If I buy from them do I need to specify your sound files or are yours they only one they use. Do you know what sounds are allocated to each F key please?

Dave

Dave,

Sorry, it was the speaker that I got from Digitrains - my Loksound chips are not presently available from them (though my recordings are used in some of their Zimo chips). Please send me a PM and I'll let you know how to get hold of my sounds on Loksound chips via Charlie at DC Kits. You can get v3.5 or v4 reblows directly from me.

My function key layout for locos is standardised across the entire range as follows;

F0 Lights

F1 Sound on / off

F2 Playable high horn

F3 Playable low horn

F4 Buffer clash

F5 Air release

F6 Driver's door slam

F7 Compressor (main compressor in the case of AC electrics)

F8 Spirax valves

F9 Flange squeal (variable speed on v4)

F10 Despatch whistle

F11 Guard to driver 'right away' signal (where applicable)

F12 Roof fan or cooler group

F13 Sanders

F14 Exhauster low speed

F15 Exhauster high speed

F2, F3, F5, F6 & F8 (horns, air release, door slam and air tanks) are all playable with the engine switched off, as per the prototype

The layout for multiple units is similarly standardised across the range, based on the above.

Hope this helps,

Bif

I have the older v3.5 Howes sounds in two of my Heljan 33s, both fitted with two standard round speakers. A video is available in the thread I started for people to post their sound videos in the first place - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/333-dcc-sound-videos/page__hl__dcc+sound+videos__fromsearch__1 (see post #15).

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

Sorry, it was the speaker that I got from Digitrains - my Loksound chips are not presently available from them (though my recordings are used in some of their Zimo chips). Please send me a PM and I'll let you know how to get hold of my sounds on Loksound chips via Charlie at DC Kits. You can get v3.5 or v4 reblows directly from me.

My function key layout for locos is standardised across the entire range as follows;

F0 Lights

F1 Sound on / off

F2 Playable high horn

F3 Playable low horn

F4 Buffer clash

F5 Air release

F6 Driver's door slam

F7 Compressor (main compressor in the case of AC electrics)

F8 Spirax valves

F9 Flange squeal (variable speed on v4)

F10 Despatch whistle

F11 Guard to driver 'right away' signal (where applicable)

F12 Roof fan or cooler group

F13 Sanders

F14 Exhauster low speed

F15 Exhauster high speed

F2, F3, F5, F6 & F8 (horns, air release, door slam and air tanks) are all playable with the engine switched off, as per the prototype

The layout for multiple units is similarly standardised across the range, based on the above.

Hope this helps,

Bif

Hi Bif

I've PM'd you but like another member I also PM's it doesn't seem to have worked.

Could you let me know how to make sure I get a Lok V4 with your sounds. I don't have one to re-blow.

Also, now I see you have done a new set of sounds for a 66 on V4. Is anyone selling this combination, please?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Dave, I've just sent you a PM as promised.

Bif

Dave,

I hope that you're not offended if I use this thread to try to make contact with legomanbiffo ?

I too have sent (him) a PM re dcc sound, in this case class 47, but can't be sure it's arrived.

Please can you (Bif) get in touch if you wouldn't mind helping me?

Kind regards all,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like a long time since I posed the question in Big Jim's link at the top of this thread. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then and I've fitted sound to all 5 of my 33s. my favoured speaker arrangement is with a 28mm round in the tanks/battery box. This requires a fair bit of surgery but the improvement in sound quality over the standard 23mm is vast. As for which sound is best, I think that Howes' one is one of their poorer efforts and could perhaps do with revisiting at some time. I have 2 of Biffo's and I am very happy with them. As for SWD, it's over 2 years since they started "listing" it but every time I ask Caroline, it seems it's no nearer to becoming available.

I started messing around with custom enclosures but moved house back in May and haven't been able to do any modelling since. I have now started building a new layout and, when I'm a little more organised, will start experimenting again.

It seems like a long time since I posed the question in Big Jim's link at the top of this thread. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then and I've fitted sound to all 5 of my 33s. my favoured speaker arrangement is with a 28mm round in the tanks/battery box. This requires a fair bit of surgery but the improvement in sound quality over the standard 23mm is vast. As for which sound is best, I think that Howes' one is one of their poorer efforts and could perhaps do with revisiting at some time. I have 2 of Biffo's and I am very happy with them. As for SWD, it's over 2 years since they started "listing" it but every time I ask Caroline, it seems it's no nearer to becoming available.

I started messing around with custom enclosures but moved house back in May and haven't been able to do any modelling since. I have now started building a new layout and, when I'm a little more organised, will start experimenting again.

Hi ChrisB.

I fitted Biffo's V4 33 sounds and am very pleased with them

In particular, as I use an NCE Powercab/Powerpro, I get all the most used sounds on the 1 - 9 buttons which can all be done with one hand. Above 9 then it's two handed.

I would highly recommend Biffo's V4 sounds. (I haven't tried them on earlier chips).

I fitted my 33 with a 23mm round speaker in the tanks. I would be very interested in learning exactly what/who's 28mm speaker you fitted please?

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying. The speaker is a standard Loksound 28mm round. I've been trying to find a picture of the installation to post but it's eluding me at the moment and I can't take a new one because I'm camera-less at the moment !]

Like I said, it needs a lot of plastic removing but it will go and, to my ear at least, offers far superior sound on all levels.

Archived