Fonts and Nameplates

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

Having read magazine reviews criticising the fonts used on the blue 26 and 121 and having seen the Britannias in the flesh, these are clearly issues that Dapol need to address; the buying public (if they're anything like me), will put their money where they perceive perfection and don't want to mess around with expensive new models rubbing off and replacing numbers and removing oversize nameplates with the attendant risks that are involved. That's why I bought the Farish A1.

Get these things right with the Gresley locos (and a decent satin finish) and you'll have a couple of winners.

Hi Crepello,

Good call, and something we have been very fastideous with on the A3 and A4 models as you can see from the pictures of them.

As for the nameplates for the A3 and A4 models? well they have been measured in both height of the nameplate and the lettering from the real plates and scaled down to N gauge and we are gettign better. (no one has negativelt commented on the Hall nameplates and cab side numbering for instance).

I think everyone will find a marked improvement throughout Dapols new releases and re-runs of previous models almost instantaneously.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi , I did suggest to Joel at the open day an idea to market at set of dry rub numbers for stock to match size and typeface used and he noted that improvements were on the way and there has been discussion re typeface and getting the weight and size of transport helvetica right - try a wikipedia hit on it the info and typeface and number face is there.

Robert Shrives

• RMweb Premium

Hi Crepello,

Good call, and something we have been very fastideous with on the A3 and A4 models as you can see from the pictures of them.

As for the nameplates for the A3 and A4 models? well they have been measured in both height of the nameplate and the lettering from the real plates and scaled down to N gauge and we are gettign better. (no one has negativelt commented on the Hall nameplates and cab side numbering for instance).

I think everyone will find a marked improvement throughout Dapols new releases and re-runs of previous models almost instantaneously.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the positive reply Dave. I agree the Hall is superb in these respects; I hope the surplus boiler-band will be dealt with in due course.

I hope the surplus boiler-band will be dealt with in due course.

The lining on the boiler is fine, it is just the firebox that is lined on the BR-liveried models when it should not be. Hopefully the lining on the GWR cabsides will be carried over the windows as well.

There is one big font problem with LNER pacifics amongst other Eastern locos. Doncaster used an incorrect number 6 on certain locos- not all the time, sometimes corrected, sometimes not, and sometimes introduced on a loco that was correct before Doncaster overhauled it. Usual location was on the smokebox number plate. It will also catch out Bachmann at some point because some A1s were also affected. Guaranteed to cause someone to bellyache that a particular loco is wrong whichever way you jump.........

Archived