No more 21 pin sockets ?

For Plux to be a true standard don't all locos need to be fitted with the 22 pin Plux socket so they are capable of accepting whatever Plux plug your chosen decoder is supplied with? This would need the same space requirements as the MTC21 connector. Or have I totally missed the point of Plux?

Not having thought about it I had assumed that decoders and locos would both have the PluX size needed by their built-in features. If you wanted too, could you fit a larger PluX decoder into a smaller socket as well as the other way round?

If you wanted too, could you fit a larger PluX decoder into a smaller socket as well as the other way round?

In one word, no !

The system is downwards compatible (I mentioned this earlier), therefore a decoder will fit in the same size or larger socket. If I've read it correctly, it won't fit in a smaller socket.

As I understand it, the effect of fitting a smaller decoder (e.g. a PluX12) into a larger socket (e.g. PluX22) will mean you won't be able to power any additional features wired to the larger host socket.

• RMweb Gold

I can't see why anything should be different for you Don.

Decoders that come with wires only, or with wires and a plug will probably be available for years to come.

If you want to fit sockets, then the smallest is PluX8 with 7 pins and there are the legacy NEM-651 6 pin & NEM-652 8 pin sockets, plus the 9 pin JST.

Another solution for hardwiring is to use a bit of circuit strip board as an interface, e.g. ....... http://web.archive.o...os/sj036792.jpg

True it will not make life difficult for me but for a while DCC was becoming a bit too easy it looked like the manufacturers might agree on a pin format decoders could easily be replaced for faults or just upgrades. And now it starting to become just as much trouble as wiring up for DC.

Don

Go slightly off topic - Forget the number of pins for now, I just want the manufacturers would agree and design plugin decoders that are similar to a digital cameras SD cards albeit a little thicker. locomotives could then be fitted with a socket which a decoder could easily fit into. There is nothing more that spoils the enjoyment of getting a new loco and than having to spend hours dismantling a very detailed but delicate model without damaging it to fit the DCC chip..

Kernow Models and Dapol have shown some progress in this area with the Beattie Well Tanks and this is not exactly a big loco. So will Bachmann Heljan or Hornby start thinking seriously about addressing this issue as well?

XF

• RMweb Premium

Go slightly off topic - Forget the number of pins for now, I just want the manufacturers would agree and design plugin decoders that are similar to a digital cameras SD cards albeit a little thicker. locomotives could then be fitted with a socket which a decoder could easily fit into. There is nothing more that spoils the enjoyment of getting a new loco and than having to spend hours dismantling a very detailed but delicate model without damaging it to fit the DCC chip..

Kernow Models and Dapol have shown some progress in this area with the Beattie Well Tanks and this is not exactly a big loco. So will Bachmann Heljan or Hornby start thinking seriously about addressing this issue as well?

XF

Apparently the Bachmann Class 350 EMU will have its DCC socket in the overfloor equipment so will be accessible without removing the body. A good start...

Archived