Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann LMS "porthole" coaches

edward66

Bachmann do have a history of when realising there's an issue they would rather take hold of the situation as soon as they're aware and address appropriately, even if that does mean a further delay to distributing the product and the appropriate action in this case is that the stock will be returned to the factory to rectify it. This does mean that it will take time to ship the product back, have it corrected and shipped back so this will mean a delay which I assume will take at least the rest of this calendar year to rectify. I know they will be as frustrated as anyone but they'd rather release them corrected rather than deal with dissatisfied customers.

LMS Porthole Coach Delivery Delay

20/08/2014

We wish to apologise for the delayed delivery of our LMS 57ft Porthole Corridor Brake 3rd coaches (39-460). A minor decoration issue has affected a percentage of models, so we have taken the decision not to release this product until we are able to guarantee that each piece is up the standards that our consumers expect from Bachmann Branchline. It is anticipated that this item will now be available during the first half of 2015.

We also have a large variety of other coaches in our range. For the full collection, please see our product pages.

Porthole.jpg

Andy, yes I agree about Bachmann's intentions, however they would have had less dissatisfied customers if they had sorted out those that were OK and allocated them to retailers, to help mollify some of those who had pre-ordered 3 years ago. I don't share your optimism about the time it will take to be corrected, as one affected by the production faulty Modified Halls, still waiting 18 months later. I suspect it will be this time next year for the corrected Portholes to arrive, but we'll see and I keep telling myself 'it's only a hobby'

Yes,Andy,but this whole episode doesn't reflect too well on their QA arrangements. Given their previous rejection of the Portholes ,one would have thought that Bachmann would  have taken particular steps to ensure that they were entirely content with the product before this latest lot were despatched to the UK.

DR

I think this just goes to show the challenges of Chinese manufacturing it is hard to have an expert on the ground with all the knowledge to check every batch sent out matches the original signed off artwork. We have seen multiple examples from various manufacturers, recently Hornby have been unable to produce LNER A4s with the correct height lettering both Bachmann and Heljan have had to offer replacement body shells for models  with incorrect liveries. I think I prefer to have a correct model next year than an imperfect model this year and as others have said it only a hobby my Jubilee will still look great with 5 coaches and even better next year with 6.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The dreaded email from Hattons has afflicted the "missing" Porthole Brake 3rd, too. Price up to £33. Still, compared to the Autocoach that looks like a bargain.

Can't believe the maroon Portholes weren't in the 2015/16 Bachmann catalogue, though. Don't they want my money?!

• RMweb Gold

Just had an email from Hattons putting the price of my pre-order up because of the Bachmann price increase. They will now be £33.96 instead of £24 IIRC. 

I think this is a bit rich from Bachmann as they withdrew the original batch because of some fault or other and I will now have to pay over 40% more to get the one that I have been waiting a long time to arrive.

If the factory supplied faulty goods at an agreed price, the original price should apply to the replacements, not a vast amount more. Had they been sent out with the fault then recalled I would expect a replacement at no charge.

Bachmann, you are tilting the scales towards the Red Box as it seems to have been performing a lot better that the Blue in recent months. After a couple of years of almost exclusively Blue Boxes for new items, my spending since the Inspection Saloon has all been Red Boxes. My next two due for delivery are from DJM and Hornby. I don't anticipate buying any of the currently proposed Bachmann items unless I survive long enough to see the Stanier Mogul emerge.

• Like 1

Bachmann do have a history of when realising there's an issue they would rather take hold of the situation as soon as they're aware and address appropriately, even if that does mean a further delay to distributing the product and the appropriate action in this case is that the stock will be returned to the factory to rectify it. This does mean that it will take time to ship the product back, have it corrected and shipped back so this will mean a delay which I assume will take at least the rest of this calendar year to rectify. I know they will be as frustrated as anyone but they'd rather release them corrected rather than deal with dissatisfied customers.

The minor decoration issue was the £25 cost is now two purple £20's

Just had an email from Hattons putting the price of my pre-order up because of the Bachmann price increase. They will now be £33.96 instead of £24 IIRC. 

I think this is a bit rich from Bachmann as they withdrew the original batch because of some fault or other and I will now have to pay over 40% more to get the one that I have been waiting a long time to arrive.

If the factory supplied faulty goods at an agreed price, the original price should apply to the replacements, not a vast amount more. Had they been sent out with the fault then recalled I would expect a replacement at no charge.

Bachmann, you are tilting the scales towards the Red Box as it seems to have been performing a lot better that the Blue in recent months. After a couple of years of almost exclusively Blue Boxes for new items, my spending since the Inspection Saloon has all been Red Boxes. My next two due for delivery are from DJM and Hornby. I don't anticipate buying any of the currently proposed Bachmann items unless I survive long enough to see the Stanier Mogul emerge.

I totally agree with you and am never preodering anything again from Bachmann. I have been told of the increase and of another on the TPO with nets, totalling £18 more. Looks like Hornby, Dapol and Heljan will be getting my orders from now on.

• Like 1

Well if folk consider a scale model of a 'Porthole' corridor brake third is not worth £33.96, what can one say apart from shame on them. The British love calling the perceived 'greedies' even though they are at both ends of the spectrum!!  As far as I am aware, this is the first accurate LMS brake with low sides and deeper cantrail ever produced RTR apart from the batch I produced in etched brass.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well if folk consider a scale model of a 'Porthole' corridor brake third is not worth £33.96, what can one say apart from shame on them. The British love calling the perceived 'greedies' even though they are at both ends of the spectrum!!  As far as I am aware, this is the first accurate LMS brake with low sides and deeper cantrail ever produced RTR apart from the batch I produced in etched brass.

And I bet yours cost a good bit more Coach (not that I begrudge you the income one little bit of course - just that the comparison strikes me as a completely valid one).

• RMweb Gold

Larry, I'm not saying that it is not worth £34, I looked at doing one from a kit and decided that I couldn't do one as good as theirs and it would have cost me more by the time I finished. I will keep my order in as I would like one for the 'best' set I am going to put together. 

After some life-changing events in the last year I've convinced myself that I am not immortal and I can't take it with me so if I decide I want something the price (up to a certain extent - no Bentley envisaged) is not that much of an obstacle.

• Like 2

Yeah, I received the Hattons email today, I'm afraid I'm just going to cancel the order as, although they may be worth the higher price I'm going to wait and see if Bachmann have done something about the dreadful bogies.....

Superb coaches but with 'toy' bogies....

And to those who moan about complainers - If we don't complain then things don't get improved.

Dave F.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I got two of the dreaded emails today.  Decided I needed the grain wagons despite the price rise, but could do without the TPO coach with net, which was always a bit of an indulgence.  I guess most people on limited incomes will be making the same sort of choices.  The guy I spoke to at Hattons said there had been a lot of cancelled pre-orders. 

Yeah, I received the Hattons email today, I'm afraid I'm just going to cancel the order as, although they may be worth the higher price I'm going to wait and see if Bachmann have done something about the dreadful bogies.....

Superb coaches but with 'toy' bogies....

And to those who moan about complainers - If we don't complain then things don't get improved.

Dave F.

I wouldn't expect those bogies to be changed any time soon. After fitting a pair of my own cast bogies on an Observation Saloon, I didn't consider the improvement worthwhile and have settled in with the Bachmann products since. These coaches are a sight better than Hornby Gresleys and somewhat better than the Stanier's, and seeing as Bachmann's are lower priced I simply cannot see why folk are complaining.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't expect those bogies to be changed any time soon. After fitting a pair of my own cast bogies on an Observation Saloon, I didn't consider the improvement worthwhile and have settled in with the Bachmann products since. These coaches are a sight better than Hornby Gresleys and somewhat better than the Stanier's, and seeing as Bachmann's are lower priced I simply cannot see why folk are complaining.

The bogies need a tad of fettling to axlepoint mounts and ride height much as Coachman described earlier in this thread - after that they have proven reliable in service. I share the bewilderment at the lack of a maroon version given that it would be a suitable livery to go with the majority of the Bachmann steam and green diesel range.

• 1 month later...

The final coach of the planned run of 6 types, 57ft Brake Third, has now arrived at retailers, picked mine up this afternoon. Livery and detail seem to be on par with the other 5 earlier issues, as well as the same bogie issues, with the leading wheels being too slack due to the open end and the overall buffer height being a tad low. I have the plasticard fillets ready, as per Coachman's adaption last year.

Does anyone know if the 57ft Porthole Corridor 3rd 39-450 has been dropped from the range? As it doesn't appear on Hatton's or Bachmann's websites.

I suspect the Corridor Thirds sold out very quickly when first released some time ago.

Manufacturers never ever seem to get  this right and seem to produce nearly as many Firsts as Thirds. Daft really.

hi Sandwich Station, re. Porthole 3rds?

Hereford Models have 7 in stock if you are looking for them. Usual disclaimers!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C

Edited by 45568