Dapol OO Suburban and Stanier coaches

Linners

Are these coaches suitable fodder for camping coach/departmental use?

Cheers.

Andy

It depends on how accurate you want to be! I don't know how the LMS sourced theirs but other railways tended to use older stock such as clerestories or toplights on the GWR.

Chris

Camping Coaches? Simple answer no. Camping in railway coaches took off before the war and was revived after the war. So coaches tended to be of pre-group origins seeing as they were being withdrawn at the time. In addition, corridor coaches lent themselves admirably to conversion with room's leading off the side corridor and some partitioning removed to make sitting rooms. The LMS Lavatory stock was too useful to withdraw and lasted into the early 1960s. By 1972 the Camping coach theoligy had died.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can anyone advise how widespread these coaches were in real life please?

For instance, did they run in Scotland in BR days and should there be a full third variant to go with the

coaches currently released by Dapol?

TIA

Jim

There were 25 of them. At least one was running in South Wales in 1958 so one or two may have got to Scotland.

The value of these models, and of the non-corridor composite of which 25 were also built, is the ease with which they may be cut up and made into other LMS prototypes.

Chris

The LMS built them as Inter-district sets formed of a Lav bk/3rd, Lav/Compo and Lav bk.3rd. The reality was they didn't always run in this neat formation and one bk/3rd could be an ex LNWR or L&Y vehicle, lavatory or no lavatory. They were built before the LMS decided it was far better to cascade older corridor stock which gave everyone access to a lav.

The LMS built them as Inter-district sets formed of a Lav bk/3rd, Lav/Compo and Lav bk.3rd. The reality was they didn't always run in this neat formation and one bk/3rd could be an ex LNWR or L&Y vehicle, lavatory or no lavatory. They were built before the LMS decided it was far better to cascade older corridor stock which gave everyone access to a lav.

In the early BR period say upto c1958 would this stock have been used on excursions from the Midlands into East Anglia? I note in photos of excursions to Clacton etc LMS stock is used, but as most photos tend to be front 3/4 of the loco, identifing the carriages is not easy.

Regards

Paul

In the early BR period say upto c1958 would this stock have been used on excursions from the Midlands into East Anglia? I note in photos of excursions to Clacton etc LMS stock is used, but as most photos tend to be front 3/4 of the loco, identifing the carriages is not easy.

I simply don't know Paul. While non-corridor coaches were freely used from towns around Manchester to Blackpool, they weren't popular on long distances. Anything that could be dragged out of a carriage siding would be used at the peak of the summer but all I can say is photo albums covering your area of interest are your best course.

For anyone wanting to run a 3-coach Dapol Lavatory set in Scotland, I have just come across a photo by E R Wetherset showing LMS Compound 40903 bringing the 15.20 Edinbourgh-Carstairs train past Midcalder Junction in early BR days. The loco has full British Railways on its tender but it is impossible to say whether the coaches carry LMS lake or early BR carmine red livery.

I simply don't know Paul. While non-corridor coaches were freely used from towns around Manchester to Blackpool, they weren't popular on long distances. Anything that could be dragged out of a carriage siding would be used at the peak of the summer but all I can say is photo albums covering your area of interest are your best course.

Coachman, thank you for your reply; on the basis that LMS stock working excursions into East Anglia in the 1950s seamed to be a mixed "bag" (and the Dapol model looks good & good value) I purchased one of the kits, together with a pair of Bachmann bogies to replace those with the kit, as they appear better.

Regards

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting a three coach rake. Looking at Free At Lasts picture they are pre numbered does anybody know if the brake coaches are pre numbered or have alternative numbers/transfers, don't really want two brakes with the same number. Not that hard to renumber I know but it would be another job on the long list.

• RMweb Gold

I have just bought some of these, and have a question about the composite, C95C. To my eye, the roof vents would match up with the internals better if the roof was reversed. Built to the instructions, 3 of the vents coincide with internal partitions, whch seems odd to me.

Have just spotted that the brake (C96C) roof is the same moulding, so I guess it's a generic moulding, matching neither.

Perhaps a bit of research, filling and drilling is required...

Thanks

Dave

Edited by unravelled