Dapol OO Suburban and Stanier coaches

Linners

On comparing my kit, C95C, to the orignal Airfix composite, you are correct, the roof is reversed, something I never noticed. :blush:

Looking at the Airfix brake the vents are in a different layout. I don't have a brake kit to compare.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Like 1

As I understand from Dapol, the tooling for the brake end roof has corroded badly over the years

and it is uneconomic to repair it, hence the decision to use the Composite roof with the brake end.

It is possible to fill the fixing holes in the brake roof and re-drill them in the correct positions if you

have an original roof to work from. My very good friend Keith (just in case he's looking in) did this

for me last week and made an excellent job of it with no trace of the original holes visible. If you try

this make sure you know which end of the roof is which before starting as the fixing clips on the

underside are not symmetrical and the roof will only fit one way. This also applies to the Compo if

you were tempted to correct those vents as well.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the confirmation.Now to see whether there's an easy way to reverse the roof, possibly by creating new tabs on the glazing. It looks as if it won't be quite as quick a build as I'd hoped. But at those prices I won't complain. I'd much rather have a wrong roof rather than no kit in the case of the brake.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info folks - didn't know about these - £8 each at Hattons - just ordered 4, and hope to bash 2 to a reasonable push-pull set. Anyone any photo's / links to appropriate photos ?

Brit15

• 1 month later...

I notice today that Rails of Sheffield are advertising a Stanier 57ft non-corridor brake for £11.50. There is no indication that it is a kit, the advert gives the impression that it a completed model. Does anyone know if Dapol are also releasing these in RTR form? I can't find anything on Dapols website either.

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

I've ended up assembling and dismantling these kits a few times, trying to get it right. Changing the tabs on the window sections so that the roof fitted the right way was fairly easy. A bit of scrap glued to the top and shaped when set, using the opposite side to get the locations right. The original tabs were removed after the new ones were done.

While I'm not too worried about the appearance of the windows, I do find that they cause the sides to bow out in the centre. I haven't worked out how best to thin things down to solve this. Flush glazing is an option, but I'll see what I can do with the originals first. I might end up just glueing a panel in to pull the sides together.

Thanks

Dave

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

Just caught up on this topic, I thought it might be helpful to try and bring the info on these coaches together. As Coachman said they represent 'period II' lavatory brake third and composite, 25 of each built. They are basically accurate models as originally issued by Airfix.

For some reason Dapol are calling these coaches 'Stanier suburbans', which may look superficially similar they are obviously not. This may dissuade another manufacturer from considering LMS suburban stock in general and which was far more common. Dapol have made the range look bigger by issuing three liveries in kit and r-t-r giving six catalouged variants.

Perhaps we should be grateful for anything better than nothing. If the keen pricing means they sell well Dapol may consider redoing the ex Airfix corridor brake third and composite. These are Stanier coaches, but different versions to the Hornby models and what Bachmann are proposing.

Personally I'd prefer to see r-t-r non corridor stock as kit building corridor vehicles particularly later stock means fewer door handles, stops and hinges to get lined up!.

Regards Jim

Hi

I bought one of each of these coaches but they have crappy plastic wheels and run really badly - the only metal

replacement wheels I have are the Hornby sets but these are smaller than Dapol's plastic versions. Probably why

they were so cheap.

Ah well we live and learn.

regards Harry

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I recently bought some of these Dapol kits in BR Maroon - with the idea of backdating them to LMS days. Then, as s*d's law would have it, Dapol brought out the kits in LMS livery shortly after my order had arrived in CH and I had opened the kits to see that all was present and correct.

Oh bu99er! I now have a number of open (but untouched) kits which I can't return and I really don't want to try my hand at LMS livery when Dapol has done such a good job.

Anyone with some spare LMS livery shells for a swop?

F

• 7 months later...

The LMS was steadily introducing brighter upholstary and woodwork during the Stanier period following 1934 and so it is difficult to be precise especially as the moquete seat covering was often as not multi coloured. As a generalization, red for third class and blue for first class. I use Humbrol Matt 60 red and Matt 25 blue.  Prior to Stanier, third class seats were generally maroon with small white specs for which I ignore the specs and use Humbrol Matt 73. Interiors look very dark in 4mm scale and I use brigher colours for the 'Empire timbers' used in corridors, partitions and open seat ends. A Humbrol equivalent is Gloss 9.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I've resurrected this thread because I have a number of these "kits" which have remained unopened for a while, and I think it is about time I did some work on them. I have the seating colours sorted thanks to the info from Coachmann earlier in the thread, but what about the areas above the seat backs?

My vague memory of non-vestibule coaches is of either mirrors or small prints of colourful scenes above the seats, but I'm not sure if this is correct for the late 50s early 60s period.

Does anyone have definite confirmation of my recollections, and were the 2nd class different to the 1st in this respect?

... were the 2nd class different to the 1st in this respect?

An OT observation...

When the then-new and rather lovely Wessex Electrics entered service in the late 1980s, NSE had commissioned local scenes from their favourite artist to decorate the insides. The images in 1st class were signed "Edward Pond", those in 2nd "Eddie Pond"...

Paul

• Like 1

If nothing else, I can cut little oval shapes from plastikard and coat them with aluminimum paint in order to represent mirrors. At least it will give some small detail inside the compartments above the seats.

My other problem is passengers. I never like to add too many because if the coaching stock ends up in a siding they look strange with someone sitting in there.

(Although if the year had been 1968 and I had been shunted into Hackney Sidings by a class 22, I would have been delighted to stay there overnight.)

• RMweb Gold

Hi, jonny777. I've the books by Jenkinson and Essery. There are interior photo's of some of the non-corridor coaches. Above the seat backs, there are; picture - mirror - picture. They are all rectangular, and spaced evenly. Above them is a luggage rack. Certainly in first-class there are reading lights as well. I hope that this will be of some help.

All the best,

Market65.