Paignton and Dartmouth Railway

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Presumably this one then sir - seen here on special passenger train working on 26.09.09 before it attached to our train at Paignton and a couple of it at Kinsgwear before & after it ran round and took us back to Paignton

(warning picture heavy post - includes views of both ends and both sides of the loco)

post-6859-0-40051700-1319204439_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-53519500-1319204471_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-14578300-1319204500_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-66022800-1319204527_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-04325900-1319204554_thumb.jpg

I was in Dartmouth last week on holiday from Canada, showing my wife some of my old UK holiday haunts and favorite places.

These three pics came from that trip with 5239 working the return trips.

IMG_0632small.jpg

IMG_0641small.jpg

IMG_0709small.jpg

Regards

Graham

Lovely photos everyone!

I've been spending a lot of my time off in South Devon but haven't yet got back to visiting the P&D. I could easily get there but have been put off by what I feel is a very corporate atmosphere, demonstrated by the fact that all the engines and many coaches have names to entertain the public. For a tourist I'm sure its a fantastic preserved railway, up amongst the very best, and when I was younger I had a great day out with my family.

They have only just started experimenting with days to entertain enthusiasts, which is a positive step, but the timetable isn't particularly intensive even during the peak season so I've not really been tempted to get down there with my camera.

Its in a lovely part of the world, and next summer I will make more effort to get down there, but given the choice between the P&D and the SDR, the SDR would win every time for the lovely, authentic branch line feel.

• RMweb Premium

I've been spending a lot of my time off in South Devon but haven't yet got back to visiting the P&D. I could easily get there but have been put off by what I feel is a very corporate atmosphere, demonstrated by the fact that all the engines and many coaches have names to entertain the public. For a tourist I'm sure its a fantastic preserved railway, up amongst the very best, and when I was younger I had a great day out with my family.

It's worth travelling on as it's a lovely journey but I wouldn't bother waiting around for photos personally. The SDR is as you say much better in this respect.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely photos everyone!

They have only just started experimenting with days to entertain enthusiasts, which is a positive step, but the timetable isn't particularly intensive even during the peak season so I've not really been tempted to get down there with my camera.

Its in a lovely part of the world, and next summer I will make more effort to get down there, but given the choice between the P&D and the SDR, the SDR would win every time for the lovely, authentic branch line feel.

You're right there in all that you say. Speaking with my shareholder's hat on the P&DSR is now part of "The Dartmouth Steam Railway and Riverboat Company" and is a very successful tourist mover of people. Their riverboat & ferry operation, is now an important part of the company.

With my enthusiast's hat on I absolutely hate the liveries used on the coaching stock. I don't know what it is supposed to represent with brown doors and window frames, but hey..it's not a 'heritage' style preserved railway merely a tourist people mover. The only coach with anything like authentic livery is the 'Devon Belle' observation saloon which many years ago I was involved in it's interior renovation with replacement mahogany panelling.

• RMweb Gold

With my enthusiast's hat on I absolutely hate the liveries used on the coaching stock. I don't know what it is supposed to represent with brown doors and window frames, but hey..it's not a 'heritage' style preserved railway merely a tourist people mover. The only coach with anything like authentic livery is the 'Devon Belle' observation saloon which many years ago I was involved in it's interior renovation with replacement mahogany panelling.

I agree completely it is horrid! I think they have copied the Pullman style of carriage livery, as they have brown window surrounds.

Regards,

Nick

I would think that its a combination of trying to keep some GWR heritage whilst trying to form its own 'Premier' Pullman style brand. To Joe Public its probably a little more interesting than a normal chocolate and cream Mk1, but I think the difference is minimal. This is the same with the locos - they do look very smart with all the extra lining, but at the same time they look a bit wrong!

The Pullman observation car does redeem them somewhat though, especially as the other seems to have been lost in the ether... It used to look pretty scruffy but in Moria's photos it does look to be more well looked after. Last I heard on the other Obo, the Bluebell were going to look after it as the Swanage have nowhere to keep it when not in use, but this doesn't seem to have materialised.

• RMweb Premium

You're right there in all that you say. Speaking with my shareholder's hat on the P&DSR is now part of "The Dartmouth Steam Railway and Riverboat Company" and is a very successful tourist mover of people. Their riverboat & ferry operation, is now an important part of the company.

Possibly the fact they have concentrated on becoming a tourist mover rather than a heritage site is key to allowing both them and the SDR to survive side by side.

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering, what signal box controls the line?

The whole line is indeed controlled from Britannia Crossing and this is the panel there as it was in Septr 2009

post-6859-0-53745400-1319320277_thumb.jpg

And this is the panel which at that time was under construction by the railway's S&T Dept to replace the one shown above but also to be installed at Britannia Crossing

post-6859-0-95919400-1319320366_thumb.jpg

In addition not yet in commission at that time was a new local 'ground frame' panel at Goodrington Sands plus there are small mechanical ground frames at Goodrington Sands, Kingswear (run-round crossover) and Paignton (loco release crossover), and Churston.

• RMweb Gold

Is the box at Churston permanently switched out now?

The only 'control point' which now exists at Churston is this ground frame which works the connections to the sidings

post-6859-0-14079500-1319362319_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-08669100-1319362365_thumb.jpg

At the time of our visit in September 2009 the crossing loop points were equipped with (BR design) self-acting hydraulic mechanisms but as it was even then becoming increasingly difficult to get spares for them they might possibly have gone by now(?).

post-6859-0-64024900-1319362505_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info. I travelled on the line for the first time a few years ago and was quite surprised to see how posh the signalling looked for a tourist line.

I imagine it is to keep the labour costs down; one box, one signal man.

• RMweb Gold

I imagine it is to keep the labour costs down; one box, one signal man.

Exactly so - Britannia Crossing has to have an attendant (i.e Crossing Keeper) due to the very near presence of the ferry and the queueing for it with a big risk of blocking back onto the railway; so the signalling control was concentrated there in order to avoid additional manning costs. The signalling control system is fully up to modern standards with full electronic remote control of the Goodrington/Paignton area using some very recent kit - partly the reason why the control panel at Britannia Xing was renewed, plus the alterations at Goodrington, and the only real problem they encountered was the interface with NR at Paignton where NR were a bit awkward over slot controls - notwithstanding the whole P&D installation being designed by a professional signal engineer.

All in all the signalling on the line is impressive with some interesting features and well worth the day we spent looking at it back in 2009 (we did the South Devon Railway - once upon a time known as the 'Dart Valley Railway' on the following day and that was equally interesting but very much in latterday Western Region style albeit with some older signals).

• RMweb Gold

Your full of interesting information Mike! Are there any other lines that have such modern equipment, or is it just P&D?

Nick.

I'm reasonably sure that technically their signalling installation is probably the most advanced in Britain on a leisure/heritage type of railway but a number of railways have very high standards of signalling installation in the style of a particular Company or BR Region and as long as the basics principles are there that sort of approach is quite ok. iIn a few instances they are using a fair amount of electrical provision with relay rooms but not quite such a visibly 'modern' image as the P&D - as far as I'm aware I reckon the North York Moors comes the closest in terms of colour light signalling use. In contrast some lines have very effective basic installations which do the job at minimum cost (in money and labour) very satisfactorily while others sit between the two extremes.

Archived