The Waverley Route's Cathedrals of Power

'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

Beware of that caption 'Chard. For 'Berwick' read 'Tweedmouth' (52D). Tweedmouth locos could find themselves on the Waverley by a couple of means; kicked out on a quick job by 64A/B whilst lying over on an official diagrammed job and also as part of a 'circular' diagram via the N&C or Edinburgh.

In the '50s, you might get one coming over the Kelso line to St B's and getting borrowed for a Hawick job for instance.

Dave.

Aye, I noticed a Class 4 allegedly heading in the opposite direction to what the lens was plainly telling me, too. Those captions are a minefield, especially to us hot water Johnny-come-latelies!

Well done for having access to those essential Locosheds by the way!

Yes, they can be very useful, but they're so old and fragile (and they weren't made to last in the first place) that there's only so many uses left in them. One of them is already in loose-leaf format!

Look at this!!! From 3:30 to 6:00 - Carlisle Kingmoor in 1966/67, in all its grimy glory! (I think some people may need to lie down after watching.) Before that, there's some footage of banking from Tebay, and following are some shots of Citadel, plus a trip over the S&C, then down to Blackburn.

This is part 2 of a film. Part 1 is completely concerned with steam at Tebay, including a lot of footage of bankers (the good kind!).

Buckdancer posted the link to part 1 over on the 'Railway footage in feature films and television' topic.

At 7.40 ish D297 trundles out of the Citadel with the secondman standing inside the loco's nose wiping its windscreen! Where did that appear in the rulebook!!!

At 5.30 odd a nano-glimpse of a very early Rail Blue Peak.

Fantastic!

Guest Max Stafford

Who ever filmed this was aiming for the entire atmosphere of the time and place, not just the engines.

Succeeded admirably in my view.

Agreed, 'Chard; that is a very interesting use of the bonnet-top hatches - these guys certainly had an intelligence and initiative that has been programmed out these days!

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

There's nothing jumping out at me Roy but there again, I'm unfamiliar with this era of Riccarton's existence at the moment. More early period research required I guess.

Dave.

Guest Max Stafford

So, when and why was it rebuilt? Fire damage perhaps?

You can see that in this case it's got a generic NB appearance. The later box looks more akin in style to the bigger Border Counties types to my eye.

Dave.

It looks like simply the top section was rebuilt, with three brick courses remaining above the two yellow courses that "jut out".

One thing that always struck me about Whitrope box was that unlike many boxes it had two chimneys. Two fireplaces perhaps? One on each level, the lower one to prevent the severe weather up there freezing the interlocking?

So, when and why was it rebuilt? Fire damage perhaps?

You can see that in this case it's got a generic NB appearance. The later box looks more akin in style to the bigger Border Counties types to my eye.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I would say just the opposite. The pinnacle roof is typically Border Counties, as, with the exception of Reedsmouth they all had that type of roof (still don't know about Plashetts). Even Border Counties junction had a pinnacle roof. I would go so far as to suggest that Riccarton South was built as part of the Border Counties contract, perhaps to relieve the pressure on an over-stretched Riccarton Central?).

roygraham

It looks like simply the top section was rebuilt, with three brick courses remaining above the two yellow courses that "jut out".

Interesting. In later days the balcony handrail was higher than the window sill. This looks as though it wasn't altered when the windows were changed. It's only now that you have produced this photo that I can see how odd it looks in the revised arrangement.Two or three courses of brick would seem to have been removed as the replacement windows are deeper than the original.

The sign was in later days on the other face of the box and has also gained a siding and reversed it's colour.

That raises the question. Were any other boxes buit in this style and subsequently altered?

Bernard

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks Bill, you beat me to that one. I've seen a couple of Derek Cross photos with a B1 and a V2 on. Probably an occasional day out for a 12A Britannia too in 1965-6 if there was bother with the 64A offering.

Dave.

Archived