Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Waverley Route's Cathedrals of Power

'CHARD

Well, as we're on the subject, how about this anonymous Sad-Eyes, captured - it says - at 64A:

http://www.flickr.co...57628297104467/

and a Tractor heading a classic line-up of WR traction at 64B:

http://www.flickr.co...57628231522759/

http://www.flickr.co...57628231522759/

whilst over at Kingmoor, here are two of the Clayton breed, from the local or Clyde allocations, shy of traversing WR metals:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52467480@N08/6435585789/in/set-72157628231522759/

Coldstream?!

Try Tweedmouth.

You must have had a heavy night. :jester:

Bernard

Duly corrected. I seriously wonder about myself these days.... I've actually been on the wagon for the duration of the holiday, perhaps that's the real reason!

Indeed it is, and that's possibly your D1970 lurking on the departure road.... :nyam:

Fair old chance of it or one of her sisters.

Sadly my D1970 set her sails a while back to the Bay of E. Replaced with a pre-Serck triple grill arrangement D1573 from the 'Toon.

As seen here....

http://www.rmweb.co....693#entry547693

PS please excuse the route indicator values - haven't worked a way to change these yet that doesn't effect my sanity and turn the air blue at the same time.

Yes, it does seem strange but note that a) There was a crossover at the north end, and a loop south of the shed.

B) In those days Longtown North S.B. was still in operation.

c) Equally why did the BUR build an E.S. at Gretna Junction to which access was only from The G&SWR ?

roygraham

That's the fella .... though I wonder what the reason was for having the shed so far away from the station?

I also wonder what the rationale was for siting the station on the opposite bank from the town, when an ideal locus seems to suggest itself at the end of Esk Street.

I also wonder what the rationale was for siting the station on the opposite bank from the town, when an ideal locus seems to suggest itself at the end of Esk Street.

Probably because locating the station there would have meant building two bridges over the Esk. (cost)

It's probably a far my complex story.

If we go back to just before 1846 there was more interest in an east west route rather than a north south one. Glasgow Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.

In that case the station would almost certainly have been built in the town. The Caledonian laid claim to Gretna, even if it did build the station not only out of the town but actually in another country. This mean't that any proposed north south route would be forced to the east. Some plans show a proposed route to the east of Longtown joining up with the Newcastle and Carlisle line almost as far east as Brampton. Then there is the question of there being a passenger consideration in the original plans. Many of the lines in the area involved mineral extraction from land owned by the Duke of Buccleuch. Canonbie (choose your spelling) being a case in point. This revenue would have been far greater than that created by passenger traffic. Without a nod from his direction nothing was likely to have been built. I am no expert on such matters, but it does seem that this individual has had quite a part to pla,y not only in the history of the railways in the Borders, but on the landscape and general development of a fair sized chunk of the land.

Bernard

It's probably a far my complex story.

If we go back to just before 1846 there was more interest in an east west route rather than a north south one. Glasgow Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.

In that case the station would almost certainly have been built in the town. The Caledonian laid claim to Gretna, even if it did build the station not only out of the town but actually in another country. This mean't that any proposed north south route would be forced to the east. Some plans show a proposed route to the east of Longtown joining up with the Newcastle and Carlisle line almost as far east as Brampton. Then there is the question of there being a passenger consideration in the original plans. Many of the lines in the area involved mineral extraction from land owned by the Duke of Buccleuch. Canonbie (choose your spelling) being a case in point. This revenue would have been far greater than that created by passenger traffic. Without a nod from his direction nothing was likely to have been built. I am no expert on such matters, but it does seem that this individual has had quite a part to pla,y not only in the history of the railways in the Borders, but on the landscape and general development of a fair sized chunk of the land.

Bernard

Don't forget that the proposed Brampton and Longtown Railway would have met many of these objectives and provided a freight route which would have by-passed Carlisle.

roygraham

Interesting picture that, Chris - look what's at Stainton!

Not your typical WR freight, so by my reckoning that's come via Canal Jct to access Kingmoor Yard via the spur to the down Caley.

Interesting picture that, Chris - look what's at Stainton!

Not your typical WR freight, so by my reckoning that's come via Canal Jct to access Kingmoor Yard via the spur to the down Caley.

I hadn't even noticed the activity in the background until you mentioned it, it makes that photograph a lot more interesting.

Looks like the train is hauled by something in two tone green, although not very clear I rekon the shape is quite type 2 ish?

Archived