Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Waverley Route's Cathedrals of Power

'CHARD

The foreground of the first picture in post No. 155 would seem to be steel mineral wagons in the ash pit road. Fairly sure other pictures in books and on-line show this to a greater extent!

Cheers,

26power

can any one provide some pictures of the ash pit at 64b? as ive never seen a the ash removal siding sunk in to the ground and i recon it would make an interesting modeling idea

can any one provide some pictures of the ash pit at 64b? as ive never seen a the ash removal siding sunk in to the ground and i recon it would make an interesting modeling idea

The foreground of the first picture in post No. 155 would seem to be steel mineral wagons in the ash pit road. Fairly sure other pictures in books and on-line show this to a greater extent!

26power - that picture was taken in the yard at St Margaret's (64A), not Haymarket (64B). I can't remember what the Haymarket arrangement looked like - I was probably only concerned with not getting mixed up in it!

Guest Max Stafford

Was Haymarket's arrangement not mechanised?

I'll try and have a look at my Harry Knox books later to see if I can shed light on this.

Guest Max Stafford

I can't see any evidence of mechanical ash disposal at Haymarket in any case. As it was done 'old school' at St Margaret's anyway, I guess it's now an academic point!

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good morning all

Would anyone by chance have an Ariel photo of Haymarket 64B taken around the mid 1950's or a photo of the MPD roof possibly taken from the coaling tower.

I am scratch building the main shed in 00 scale, my thread "Haymarket 64B" is in the Layout Topics section of RMWeb and I am trying to replicate the roof lights as accurate as possible.

Regards and a Very Merry Christmas to all.

David

• 3 months later...

it looks very new and full of the optimism of the early 1960's

I wonder how long it took before the flat roof started leaking and the grey matter started to get damp.

It's been a while, and I don't think we've ever seen Millerhill's brain previously...  So, here is the nerve centre, back in its early days:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35274650@N05/6255189832/in/set-72157627766457597/

It's been a while, and I don't think we've ever seen Millerhill's brain previously...  So, here is the nerve centre, back in its early days:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35274650@N05/6255189832/in/set-72157627766457597/

Not quite old enough to remember in that exact guise but I'd say I was visiting there regularly in the mid to late 90s propping my bike (grifter) against that very wall, after a cycle up from the ECML down at Musselburgh and then going in to seek approval from the shedmaster to go down to the depot. More often than not granted without any hassle. Can count on one hand the number of refusuals. To be fair more often than not it was only two of us and we always stuck to the gravel road and nipping over to get the loco number from the inside track. We left stuff alone in the actual depot, everything else was more or less visible.

Happy days, and nice reminder 'Chard.

Not quite old enough to remember in that exact guise but I'd say I was visiting there regularly in the mid to late 90s propping my bike (grifter) against that very wall, after a cycle up from the ECML down at Musselburgh and then going in to seek approval from the shedmaster to go down to the depot. More often than not granted without any hassle. Can count on one hand the number of refusuals. To be fair more often than not it was only two of us and we always stuck to the gravel road and nipping over to get the loco number from the inside track. We left stuff alone in the actual depot, everything else was more or less visible.

Happy days, and nice reminder 'Chard.

Would have been the TOPS office? I have hazy memories of repairing TOPS printers there in the 80's

Colin

Would have been the TOPS office? I have hazy memories of repairing TOPS printers there in the 80's

Colin

I wouldn't be sure, I just recall a sort of reception bit with a window, sort of like an old fashioned bank teller. More often than not there would be a stout chap with a sort of oily overcoat sort of thing. Its all a bit vague but we were always polite and never done anything daft.

As I say I don't recall being refused often.

More often than not there would be a stout chap with a sort of oily overcoat sort of thing.

Its all a bit vague but we were always polite and never done anything daft.

Phew!

I wouldn't be sure, I just recall a sort of reception bit with a window, sort of like an old fashioned bank teller. More often than not there would be a stout chap with a sort of oily overcoat sort of thing. Its all a bit vague but we were always polite and never done anything daft.

As I say I don't recall being refused often.

Not just the TOPS office, it was the booking-on office, the Traction/Loco Supervisors Office (they didn't have a Shedmaster back in the 80s, just a WS'E' Supervisor under Haymarket's control)  and the C&W Supervisor & Admin office...  As Chard say's it really was the "nerve centre" (once)...

Before the hand of privatisation befell them, Drivers/Secondmen getting to Millerhill had a regular (railway) minibus service picking up at Haymarket TMD and the back of the Waverley (Calton Road) 

• 7 months later...

Interesting photo, got a question if anyone can answer, why would an A3 be on shed at Hawick, would it have worked a Carlisle or Edinburgh local? There is a rake of coaches in the background including a couple of Mk1s.

Colin

Perhaps a rugby related special?

• 1 month later...

Archived