Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Largest city without a model shop

38c

• RMweb Premium

I got to thinking the other day how poor Leicester was served with regard to model shops. There are not any in the city only in the out side villages. Do you fare worse.

Regards Dave

Leicester has dominoes toys which actually has quite a good model department, although the prices are all top whack! They always seem to be fairly well upto date with new releases aswell, although i must admit i think i have only ever brought a pack of couplings from them, as no-one else had them at the time!

However, for me personally your statement is not a bad thing, as the 'local village shops' are all closer and easier to get to, park etc than any shop in Leicester itself could be for me!

cheers, Richard

How about London - I don't know of any proper model railway shops selling RTR, accessories, kits, scenics, raw materials etc. There is a Model Zone and the Ian Allen bookshop which are OK for RTR and Hornby accessories, and there is 4D models, which has a great range of raw materials, though at architectural modellers "think of a number and it's still negligible compared with the cost of the building" prices. However as far as I know nowhere with both together.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Come to sunny Cardiff - we've got Ian Allan and Antics in the city center, within a few minutes walk of each other, one of Lord and Butler's two shops a 10-15 minute walk away, and Lendons and Lord and Butler's other, bigger shop a short drive to the outskirts. Sorted :icon_thumbsup2:

Getting back on topic, the Engine Shed in Leystonstone is worth the tube ride and short walk afterwards - it's a good, proper model shop with lots of bits and bobs.

Cities I've visited without proper model shops:

Dundee (though there is one out Perth direction)

Perth (despite having a large model shop).

Can't think of anywhere else I've been to with such lack of facilities.

My nearest city, Lichfield, used to have a small model shop, but now has nothing, as far as I can tell.

However, that is totally irrelevant, because Lichfield will never win any "biggest city..." awards, whatever the category. There are larger villages, I wouldn't wonder!

Stirling has, as far as I'm aware, nothing either. Not even a toy shop with a small modelling section. nearest is probably Glasgow.

Jeff.

Theres McLaren Models in Falkirk but its mainly diecast in there, other than that its Glasgow or Edinburgh - its a fair trek if your only wanting a nosey though

Theres McLaren Models in Falkirk but its mainly diecast in there, other than that its Glasgow or Edinburgh - its a fair trek if your only wanting a nosey though

Stirlings bang in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh, which is a problem by road <_< . Inverness has Toymaster (Hornby, Hornby and Hornby) and Inverness Model Shop (which would probably order in something in particular from its suppliers). Elgin (City/ town) also has Toymaster with a guy at the modelling section who really is a modeller.

I would add Reading to that list - unless you count Hobbycraft as a model shop sad.gif

Apparently there's a Modelzone there now, although I'm yet to see it myself. Not an old school model shop but certainly a useful and welcome edition.

Don't forget the second hand shop in the Harris Arcade too - there's usually a decent selection of bits and pieces there.

Pix (Who's surprisingly looking forward to getting back to Bracknell)

Come to sunny Cardiff - we've got Ian Allan and Antics in the city center, within a few minutes walk of each other, one of Lord and Butler's two shops a 10-15 minute walk away, and Lendons and Lord and Butler's other, bigger shop a short drive to the outskirts. Sorted icon_thumbsup2.gif

Getting back on topic, the Engine Shed in Leystonstone is worth the tube ride and short walk afterwards - it's a good, proper model shop with lots of bits and bobs.

One shop, for 7.5 million people....

Apparently there's a Modelzone there now, although I'm yet to see it myself. Not an old school model shop but certainly a useful and welcome edition.

Don't forget the second hand shop in the Harris Arcade too - there's usually a decent selection of bits and pieces there.

Pix (Who's surprisingly looking forward to getting back to Bracknell)

Opened last week in the Butts Shopping Centre, was in there Saturday with one of my Grand daughter's

Opened last week in the Butts Shopping Centre, was in there Saturday with one of my Grand daughter's

that's probably why I hadn't heard of it ... mind you a 5 mile trek into the Butts of Reading is far less enjoyable than the 25 mile trip to Alton where at least I know the yea and biscuit selection will be good and, as a REAL model shop, t will have plenty to browse/temp.

I got to thinking the other day how poor Leicester was served with regard to model shops. There are not any in the city only in the out side villages. Do you fare worse.

Croydon, while still not yet a city, but larger population wise than many (including Wolverhampton, Sunderland, Hull and Liecester), used to have some good model shops. However, not now. Even the Beatties turned in to an Ann Summers sex parlour.

G.

• RMweb Premium

Brighton appears to only have a Modelzone.

Brighton has always been without a proper model railway shop. Nearby we have Morris Models in Lancing (sorry guys, terrible service, I dont like being followed round the shop).

You have to go to Ford where we have the fabulous Guagemaster shop. We often go there on a Sunday 20/30 mins - just for a drive and a browse.

Brighton has always been without a proper model railway shop.

Not quite true - there used to be a really good one when I was there in the early 70's. I can't remember its name but I can vaguely remember where it was. It used to have a good s/h display of locos in the window.

We've been devoid of a shop here in Aylesbury for quite some years now. We used to have a local independent (Bakers) which sold all sorts of toys, models and bikes. We also had the old chain Beatties. There were also a couple of other independants who just did models in various forms. A couple selling nothing but trains at different times, and a shop selling mostly RC stuff. They all closed many, many years ago, around the time I was stopping modelling last time.

Now the closest is in Aston Clinton - not a million miles, but it's only a small shop, although there's a lot in there considering. Next closest is Oxford, then Brackley for me. :(

Buying online is often cheaper, which normally I'm all for, but with modelling stuff I much prefer to poke the stuff about. I've found photos and descriptions just don't do the items justice.

Oh, and yes, I'm aware Aylesbury isn't a city ;)

Archived