Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

UK Electrics, 4mm, what is left to produce?

We had a few threads on this topic on the old forum, I thought it worthwhile discussing the merits of AC (or DC) overhead layouts on the new facility.

The classes left to be released (to superdetail / flywheel motor spec) are the following -

Class 73

Class 76

Class 77

Class 81

Class 82

Class 83

Class 84

Class 85

Class 86

Class 87

Class 89

Class 90

Class 91

Class 92

Does anyone know how strongly the Hornby 87 has been selling? I haven't seen it in any bargain bins (unlike the 86) so I presume it has done reasonably well.

Looking to build a new loft layout with some of that Electrotren catenary (very well priced and with a bit of adjustment looks ok for UK use). Hopefully I'll be able to populate it with top-spec electric locos in a couple of years!

This thread might as well have been titled "UK Electrics, 4mm, what isn't left to produce?"

Seeing as that would be a rather shorter list:

1)Heljan class 86

2)er

3)that's it.

Hopefully they'll follow it up with an 87, which given the similarities between the classes seems almost certain given sufficient sales, and who knows where they'll go from there.

There was speculation a while ago that the NRM might commission a 76 to follow on from their prototype Deltic, but the probable upcoming City of Truro announcement has scotched that for the moment. Though if it is from the NRM, it would show they are committed to expanding their range of models, so perhaps the 77 might be further down the list...

Interestingly the list of EMU classes available or in the works as modern high-spec models is actually longer than for electric locos

373 Eurostar (Hornby)

390 Pendolino (Hornby)

395 Javelin (Hornby)

411 4-CEP (Bachmann)

416 2-EPB (Bachmann)

462 Networker (Hornby)

Though the list of EMUs still to be done is even longer than for electric locos - I won't list them all as it would stretch on a bit!

Paul

• RMweb Gold

We had a few threads on this topic on the old forum, I thought it worthwhile discussing the merits of AC (or DC) overhead layouts on the new facility.

The classes left to be released (to superdetail / flywheel motor spec) are the following -

Class 73

Class 76

Class 77

Class 81

Class 82

Class 83

Class 84

Class 85

Class 86

Class 87

Class 89

Class 90

Class 91

Class 92

Only the Heljan 86 fits the superdetail / flywheel motor spec, but look at it from the other end, of the list here the only ones that have never been done RTR at all are 82, 83, 84 and 85.

Sods law says that the moment I fish my scratch 85 then someone will announce one.

Once Heljan have the 86 it's a pretty short step to the 87, then they've got the bogies for the 90....

Andi

I painted a proprietary an AC electric loco in the 1990's for a job. Who produced it....Hornby? It was very attractive. Speaking as a fully paid up kettleman, I'de buy a good Class 83, the smartest thing on AC rails, just to look at.

Sssshhh, you'll dispell the myth that the first generation AC's (81-85) all look the same.

It's interesting looking over the insides of the classes as I have has the opportunity to do, although the works designers had to follow certain styling guidelines, their design team influences on the inside are quite noticeable. The 82 is the most like a steam loco...!! If they had been given a free reign, would the 83 have looked like a Baby Deltic, or the 84 like a class 22...? Personally, i'm a class 84 fan, but they're tricky to model.

Guest Max Stafford

Any of the early ACs would be nice. Like Larry, I like the 83s although the 84s are my favourites. But being Glasgow built, I would say that, wouldn't I...? ;-)

Dave.

I personally think that if the Heljan 86 is a success in both sales and appearance, that logically they would go for the 87 and 90 as these would have a wider appeal. Would love to see the earlier locos produced but doubt that they will appear for at least 5-10 years, then it would most likely be an 81 or 85. It would be nice to have an 83 and 84 as I think these had the most character but thats my opinion.

On the subject of sales I doubt that this is the main factor in deciding what should be produced as whatever is released is always going to sell initially. Heljan dont seem to have suffered through their speculative ventures yet, and as long as they continue to be a success there will always be hope thet they will come up with the goods in time. Meanwhile I shall continue with doing some proper modelling and make my own.

cheers

shane

I personally think that if the Heljan 86 is a success in both sales and appearance, that logically they would go for the 87 and 90 as these would have a wider appeal. Would love to see the earlier locos produced but doubt that they will appear for at least 5-10 years, then it would most likely be an 81 or 85. It would be nice to have an 83 and 84 as I think these had the most character but thats my opinion.

shane

This has got me thinking. Wonder if an enterprising "cottage engineer" will produce some resin ends suitable for converting the Heljan 86 into an 87.

Apart from bogies and some of the underframe detail (such as vacuum exhausters), I believe the main bodyshell and cabs is structurally very similar.

It wouldn't be worth the effort to make new ends in resin. I have used the Hornby 86 body to make an 87 and its not to difficult. As you say there is also the bogies and underframe to correct.

cheers

Shane

It wouldn't be worth the effort to make new ends in resin. I have used the Hornby 86 body to make an 87 and its not to difficult. As you say there is also the bogies and underframe to correct.

Though as I understand it, the critical dimensions (bogie wheelbase, bogie centres) are all identical - so the chassis block drive train and axles are all directly reusable, all that's needed is new cosmetic sideframes and underframe moulding.

This is something that should Heljan choose not to make a class 87 themselves, an enterprising supplier could make...

Can any retailers shed any light on the sales of the Hornby 87, and even the Electrotren catenary? Given that they're not in bargain bins, I'd assume that they're fairly strong, or at least that they're carrying on with those lines.

Along with the DVT, we'll possibly see a Virgin liveried 87 in 2010?

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is a bigger hole in the market for AC EMUs. I know some of the more glamorous ones are available like Pendolino & Javelin, but the more common ones are not represented at all. Many of these share bodyshells with DC EMU's or DMU's...some of which are even currently available.

WIth minimal re-tooling, I am sure these can be produced without too much trouble.

I think there is a bigger hole in the market for AC EMUs. I know some of the more glamorous ones are available like Pendolino & Javelin, but the more common ones are not represented at all. Many of these share bodyshells with DC EMU's or DMU's...some of which are even currently available.

WIth minimal re-tooling, I am sure these can be produced without too much trouble.

Agreed. The 319, 317 would be a huge boost, and Hornby releasing intermediate cars to make a 365 (Iknow it wouldn't be perfect) would be great too. Maybe Heljan releasing the 86 will spur a new interest in AC equipment

Archived