Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

Hi Alan,

Almost missed your update as my broadband has been off for the last 3 days. Good to see more details of your underhill fiddle yard. And I strongly suggest you acquire a few more 40s - I just love them!

Hopefully I'll be starting on my own project in the very near future. Let's hear it for the S&C!!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hello Jeff

Finally got the fiddle yard sorted. It's a bit cramped but gives me the chance to run a greater variety of trains. There's another Class 47 to buy then probably another 40 and maybe a Peak. What I'd really like, is to run 40 106 as my token celebrity loco She'd look nice on that coal train. Still can't bring myself to get the old Farish 25 so I'll probably just keep hanging on for a new model to be released

The larger yard has given me the chance to get all my stock out of their boxes and start putting together a good mix of typical S+C trains c1980. Apart from the locos I'll need more 12t vans and 16t minerals, 4 more coaches, a few tank wagons and I'm building a short rake of sand wagons.

Now there's just what was the back of the layout to tidy up and that will be everything done....Haven't forgotten I then have a 00 layout to start work on. At the moment all it consists of is an ever- growing pile of plans and scribbles but at least it's a start.

Hi Alan,

Another new viewer (& big fan!) of your layout here!

I've just had a very enjoyable read all the way through this thread and I am most impressed! Your scenic work is rather excellent, I love it!

I don't know if I'll ever get around to going scenery like that but that's the effect I'm after.

What/how did you do your drystone walls, please?

Cheers,

John E.

Hi Allegheny 1600

Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed the thread.

It's a pity the layout was up and running when I discovered RMweb and joined the site. It would have been good to have shown the layout being built....also easier to describe the methods used (with the aid of photos) at the time. The walls have been in place for 18 months but hopefully I can remember how they were done.

I think they're 40thou plasticard. (If not it's 30thou) cut into strips 30cm x 15-20cm. Pennine walls are usually about 4-5ft high so the extra width is used to fix them firmly into the ground. The 30cm strips are then cut into shorter pieces of all different lengths. Their ends are then angled so when the small pieces are re-joined the walls can follow the contours. Hope this photo helps...

post-13274-0-25920200-1336683068.jpg

The walls are covered with Slaters embossed plasticard. I think it's 2mm random stone. You might recognise it from the other photos. When everything is glued firmly in place ,the top of the walls are shaped and rounded using a very sharp blade....the red line.

post-13274-0-48901600-1336683329.jpg post-13274-0-13274400-1336683354.jpg

Tops are added using long rolled out strips of Milliput pushed into place and fixed with PVA. Before it dried a knife blade was used to slice into the Milliput every 2-3mm.to create the distinctive capping stones. They were then painted a medium-light grey and weathered with a darker grey...The weathering didn't really work and I ended up removing most of it. Later adding grass, foliage and bushes just helped them blend in. You'll notice the wooden posts used to fix barbed wire and common to just about every dry stone wall in the area.....perfect for hiding joints in the embossed plasticard!

• RMweb Premium

Morning Alan,

A couple of questions. Just looked up 40 106 (don't keep the details in my head!!). Atlantic Conveyor in BR green - sounds nice (I prefer green!). Why would that be your celebrity loco? Just curious!

I like the walling method you described to Allegheny. I may try that. I have a stock of (bought in) walling, but I'm going to need a lot more for Kirkby Luneside and making it is a much cheaper, and more flexible, option. Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't heard of Milliput - some kind of modelling clay?

The last few posts in your thread are indicative of the power of the Forum. So much to learn from those who've tried different things!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Milliput is a modelling putty, available in different grades and comes as two 'sausages' that you mix together with a little water (using only what you need). Once mixed, it is pretty malleable and can be formed to the basic shape you need and when it sets hard (a few hours usually), you can file, sand, scribe, drill, etc., it as required.

Available at most art shops and proper model shops, it's fantastically useful stuff.

Originally hailing from Cumbria as I do, I should really have visited the S&C more but I have to admit that my only exposure to it has been driving under / over it at a few locations (Kirkby Stephen, and wherever that pub is up on the moors, near a viaduct. Accurate description or what). I always tended to head up into the Lakes Fells rather than the Pennines, the main reason being that the mountain biking in the Lakes is a hundred times better, and the Lakes Fells are just prettier :).

I have, however, seen a thousand images of the S&C and your layout captures it perfectly.

Morning Alan,

A couple of questions. Just looked up 40 106 (don't keep the details in my head!!). Atlantic Conveyor in BR green - sounds nice (I prefer green!). Why would that be your celebrity loco? Just curious!

I like the walling method you described to Allegheny. I may try that. I have a stock of (bought in) walling, but I'm going to need a lot more for Kirkby Luneside and making it is a much cheaper, and more flexible, option. Excuse my ignorance, but I haven't heard of Milliput - some kind of modelling clay?

The last few posts in your thread are indicative of the power of the Forum. So much to learn from those who've tried different things!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sandside has given you the details about Milliput, so I'll just add that...I'd usually use Das modelling clay for most jobs like this, but thought it might be too prone to damage along the tops of the walls. Milliput really does set rock hard. I make many other models apart from railways and it's always been very useful as a filler for smaller jobs.

Not sure if celebrity was the right word to describe 40 106. 40 122 was always the celebrity loco when painted green although I think that was slightly later than 1983.

I've always liked layouts which ran locos that appeared on everyday services and this is the approach I've taken with my layouts. I'd rather keep adding more 40s, 45s and 47s to the layout than start running 33s on excursions and 37s on diverted freights.

40 106 will be the celebrity loco on the layout, standing out in a sea of corporate blue. I prefere 40 106 as she seemed to spend her final years on ordinary, every day work with a dwindling number of vac braked services and there are several photos of her on the S+C doing just this.

The last time I saw her working was in November 1982. An unforgetable night! I was trying to get home from London but there was a massive snow fall that evening and severe disruption to services. Missed my connection at Doncaster and had 5 hours to wait for the first morning train. I was trying to get some sleep in the waiting room when, at 2am, 40 106 rolled in on a north-bound parcels.

Re the PM...I'll give it some thought, probably in conjunction with starting a thread for the new layout and completing work on this one.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Sandside has given you the details about Milliput, so I'll just add that...I'd usually use Das modelling clay for most jobs like this, but thought it might be too prone to damage along the tops of the walls. Milliput really does set rock hard. I make many other models apart from railways and it's always been very useful as a filler for smaller jobs.

Not sure if celebrity was the right word to describe 40 106. 40 122 was always the celebrity loco when painted green although I think that was slightly later than 1983.

I've always liked layouts which ran locos that appeared on everyday services and this is the approach I've taken with my layouts. I'd rather keep adding more 40s, 45s and 47s to the layout than start running 33s on excursions and 37s on diverted freights.

40 106 will be the celebrity loco on the layout, standing out in a sea of corporate blue. I prefere 40 106 as she seemed to spend her final years on ordinary, every day work with a dwindling number of vac braked services and there are several photos of her on the S+C doing just this.

I agree with you about the 40s, 45s and 47s. I'm also very partial to green livery, so your idea would look good.

Thanks for the clay info. I'd heard of DAS, but not Milliput. Will probably try both!

Kirkby Luneside is now in the S&C section, alongside Allegheny's acquired P4 layout.

Best wishes,

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

The saga of 40 143 (Ref post 84)....finished at last.

post-13274-0-58807600-1338407621.jpg

Following an e mail conversation with Bernard at TPM, and indecision over which scratch built ones to use, I decided to try the TPM Class 37 headcode box frames.

A week ago a bulk order of Fox 2mm transfers arrived including white marker light dots, and after a light weathering 40 143 was put to work on the layout.

post-13274-0-54608600-1338407850.jpg

Working 7M82 Healey Mills-Kingmoor. May 1979.

The arrival of the Fox transfers has meant work has started re numbering locos,adding Speedlink brandings and data panels to wagons etc. Work has also been progressing slowly adding new stock to fill the enlarged fiddle yard.

post-13274-0-07331100-1338408683.jpg

post-13274-0-49148200-1338408699.jpg

Sand was a regular traffic over the line in the late 70s and this short rake of (not very accurate) wagons was completed a few days ago. They're mostly Peco 5plk kits with a few second hand odds and ends that have been lying around unused for months.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan,

The third photo in your last post is particularly good - it just looks "right".

Thanks for the message in my thread. Good to hear you've started the new project!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

I,ve now started work on the final few jobs needed to finish the layout. These include adding more trees and bushes, and providing a bigger flock of sheep to graze the hillsides.

Most important is the need for a neater finish to what was originally the back of the layout....Here's the progress so far...

post-13274-0-02236700-1340921504.jpg post-13274-0-74790200-1340921521.jpg

post-13274-0-02904700-1340921537.jpg post-13274-0-20164700-1340921552.jpg

The biggest problem was now the gap between the end of the scenery and the vertical panels of plywood. These had to be packed and then clamped overnight. A thin covering of Pollyfilla was then added.

post-13274-0-91801000-1340921818.jpg post-13274-0-13060600-1340921836.jpg

The work now begins to blend in the old and the new areas. One problem was trying to remember how the original work was done over a year ago.

post-13274-0-48835000-1340921851.jpg post-13274-0-16470400-1340921867.jpg

The Pollyfilla is covered with pieces of paper towel soaked in dilute PVA. This is then covered with old carpet underlay. The underlay is then trimmed to create the base for areas of rough grass and heather.

post-13274-0-15799800-1340921881.jpg

The blending in begins by painting the underlay with dilute Humbrol dark green. When the layout was being built, with the entire hillside to cover, this was done using several cans of dark green spray. Textures are then added, starting with Woodland Scenics burnt grass to represent areas of shorter grass.....to be continued...!

A couple of photos from a recent running session...June 1979

post-13274-0-39690000-1340922334.jpg

8.30am and a Class 40 on a Kingmoor-Tinsley freight stops to deliver water to the box

post-13274-0-33348800-1340922353.jpg

40 196 heads north on a freight from Warrington to Kingmoor.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan,

Enjoyed the last set of photos. Good to see a rear view of your structure - I can certainly empathise with access to fiddle yards etc. I hope your layout will be suitably looked after when you start the next project.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Alan,

Latest pics look great, I often forget how I've done something I really should write things down, Paint colours etc.

I might hang around lineside for a bit just in case a Peak turns up, or a nice split box class 40.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Alan,

Latest pics look great, I often forget how I've done something I really should write things down, Paint colours etc.

I might hang around lineside for a bit just in case a Peak turns up, or a nice split box class 40.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Your wait by the lineside has been rewarded.

post-13274-0-27993200-1341178774.jpg

A photo taken a couple of weeks ago....

While a Class 40 was running round the Ribblehead ballast, our old friend 45 037 turned up

on an additional Carlisle-Notttingham service.

Finishing off the layout...Part 2

post-13274-0-59490700-1341179192.jpg post-13274-0-90347000-1341179210.jpg

Scenic work almost complete along the new rear edge of the layout, including a few more trees and bushes.

.Not quite a perfect match...The newly applied Woodland Scenics grass being darker than the original area which has been exposed to sunlight for over a year.

post-13274-0-77774200-1341179226.jpg post-13274-0-47737100-1341179245.jpg

The new panels finished off with a coat of black paint. Working the fiddle yard isn't too difficult with access to the point work not too restricted.

Building the fiddle yard under the scenery was always going to be a compromise...the alternative being an open fiddle yard and the loss of

almost 1ft in depth from the scenic side of the layout.

post-13274-0-01968600-1341179263.jpg post-13274-0-02691300-1341179288.jpg

More sheep added and safely grazing...They,ll need a splash of paint when I'm sure what breed they should be!

Most of us probably agree that a layout is never really finished..but that's about it for S+C 1979-83. Now it's time to sit back and play trains!

A few more photos from June 1979..

post-13274-0-07622900-1341180472.jpg

40 060 departs south with ballast for Healey Mills.

post-13274-0-82781200-1341180518.jpg

Class 40 Kingmoor -Tinsley dropping of water at the box.

post-13274-0-93788200-1341180421.jpg

A signal check for 46 047 on a late running 7M13 Carlisle Kingmoor -Toton.

• RMweb Premium

Very good. The recent pictures look a bit sharper than your older ones - new camera or better lighting? Or more skill in taking them?

Quite agree about the fiddle yard. My situation will be similar - I've tried to leave enough space so I don't have to overdo the inclination of the hillsides. You've judged it very nicely.

Super stuff, Alan!

Jeff

Very good. The recent pictures look a bit sharper than your older ones - new camera or better lighting? Or more skill in taking them?

Quite agree about the fiddle yard. My situation will be similar - I've tried to leave enough space so I don't have to overdo the inclination of the hillsides. You've judged it very nicely.

Super stuff, Alan!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

The earlier pictures were from a mobile phone. I got a digital camera at the start of the year so the more recent images will have improved. Still not happy with the depth of field in some shots. There'll be a way of increasing it but I'm very reluctant to play around with the camera too much in case I alter any vital settings.

I start pressing buttons and there's dozens of menus and hundreds of options! I have also made a few videos of the layout so who knows, I might get around to producing S+C 79-83 The Movie...

Having operated the layout for almost a year I've got used to where the points are located in the fiddle yard. I can now change them almost without looking...and without derailing any stock!

The only problem at the moment is the shortage of locos, which means more work in the fiddle yard juggling 9 locos between 12 trains. The restricted access to the yard is still a small price to pay for more scenery.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

The earlier pictures were from a mobile phone. I got a digital camera at the start of the year so the more recent images will have improved. Still not happy with the depth of field in some shots. There'll be a way of increasing it but I'm very reluctant to play around with the camera too much in case I alter any vital settings.

I start pressing buttons and there's dozens of menus and hundreds of options! I have also made a few videos of the layout so who knows, I might get around to producing S+C 79-83 The Movie...

Having operated the layout for almost a year I've got used to where the points are located in the fiddle yard. I can now change them almost without looking...and without derailing any stock!

The only problem at the moment is the shortage of locos, which means more work in the fiddle yard juggling 9 locos between 12 trains. The restricted access to the yard is still a small price to pay for more scenery.

There speaketh a true S&C follower!! I could not agree more!

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Any further developments since early July, Alan? How is the planning going for your L&Y project?

Look forward to further updates.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sorry it's been a while since I've had a chance to reply.

There's been no railway modelling for several weeks (unless you count building a couple of 16t minerals kits.) and on several days the attic has been too hot to operate the layout. I have been able to make a few short videos of the layout and at some point I'll have to sign up with Youtube and try to post them here.

I was also away for 3 weeks in July, although I have been able to follow progress on Kirby Luneside on a few occasions.

Most of the summer has been taken up trying to complete a 1/350th model of HMS Royal Sovereign. The natural light where I do my modelling work is excellent for the next few weeks which means I've got until mid September to get it finished.....after 18 months slow progress..!

The L and Y layout is still only an ever growing pile of paperwork....although I'm now thinking more of a north east setting....and even the possibility of building it in N Gauge because 9ftx2ft is very limited in OO for what I'm trying to achieve.

post-13274-0-33906200-1345147428.jpg post-13274-0-13497400-1345147457.jpg[

The poor weather has meant I haven't been on the line since May, but took advantage of the good weather last week to have a trip down to Horton in Ribblesdale - then walked back to Ribblehead via Whernside.

post-13274-0-49258100-1345147471.jpg

post-13274-0-41142800-1345147483.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Splendid stuff, Alan. The model is looking good! Nice to have a change from railways, and a bit more interesting than 16 ton minerals!

Those are lovely photos of Ribblehead. I'd love to have the space to make a viaduct with that many arches. It would be worth having that as the layout alone, with a fiddle yard at each end. Better than a GWR BLT anyday, I'd say!!

My garage conversion has stayed pleasantly cool - so the insulation must be doing its job. The temperature used to shoot up to the high 20s on a hot summers day. Now it reaches about 20 celsius and stays there. No respite from the solvent fumes though!!

Great to hear from you.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for suggesting the book "Stations and Structures on the S&C". I found a second-hand copy on Amazon - it should be here tomorrow. I think it will be particularly useful for one or two parts of KL.

Jeff

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, noted your conversion of Class 40 into split headcode boxes. I am looking for something similar.

Can you explain the parts you used for the conversion please.

Looking to use D339

Apologies Arrachogaigh

I haven't looked at my thread for months. Tonight I was checking a couple of photos when I suddenly noticed a B+W photo of a Class 40 which I didn't remember seeing before!

You've probably found out what you need to know elsewhere by now...however...

Posts 84 and 108 probably show most of what was involved in the conversion. The Taylor Plastic Model replacements are a perfect fit. My original attempt at sacratch building the frames for the boxes didn't work, however, Bernard at TPM came to the rescue with photo etched frames originally designed for the Class 37.

Fox transfers provided the white dots for the later marker lights...not sure if they do an N Gauge transfer sheet for headcodes.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies Arrachogaigh

I haven't looked at my thread for months. Tonight I was checking a couple of photos when I suddenly noticed a B+W photo of a Class 40 which I didn't remember seeing before!

You've probably found out what you need to know elsewhere by now...however...

Posts 84 and 108 probably show most of what was involved in the conversion. The Taylor Plastic Model replacements are a perfect fit. My original attempt at sacratch building the frames for the boxes didn't work, however, Bernard at TPM came to the rescue with photo etched frames originally designed for the Class 37.

Fox transfers provided the white dots for the later marker lights...not sure if they do an N Gauge transfer sheet for headcodes.

More's the pity, Alan!

Is the layout still in hibernation or has it emerged for another year. And how is the modelling going in general - any sign of the L&Y layout you'd planned - if I remember correctly?

Good to see your N gauge layout making a reappearance on here - instead of buried deep in the Layout threads!

Best wishes,

Jeff

Archived