Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

• RMweb Premium

Always a pleasure to look at photos of this layout. The penultimate photo is my favourite - nice to see action near the viaduct!

Now then, how's the 00 gauge one going?......

Jeff

"Operating the layout

A look at how the layout is operated using the 1979 timetable.

post-13274-0-54049700-1394573591.jpg

Sideways, how clever!

Regards

Ian

Got the photos rotated on the computer but putting them on RMWeb turned them round again! Couldn't find any way of getting them the right way up once they were on here. 

Always a pleasure to look at photos of this layout. The penultimate photo is my favourite - nice to see action near the viaduct!

Now then, how's the 00 gauge one going?......

Jeff

Unfortunately it's now very difficult to photograph the viaduct - especially from the other side. Since it was was renovated, the layout is in the front part of the attic, with the viaduct end tucked under the roof and the new vellux window (and therefore the light) behind the layout. 

The OO layout is underway. My latest excuse for not starting a new topic is....I can't think of a name for it.The truth is I think I'm also slightly self-conscious about modelling on RMWeb! The current layout was up and running when I started posting so this topic has been mostly pretty pictures of trains running through the fells.

Just to prove things are happening...

post-13274-0-34827600-1394815932.jpg

Having seen the effort so many people put in to making baseboards, electrics etc, I'm ashamed to dwell on my efforts with an old 4x2 sheet of Sundella and a couple of lengths of 2"x1" timber.

Progress is also going to be slow because at the moment I've got a couple of "non railway" modelling projects under way.

....and I bought an 08 shunter a couple of weeks ago so I suppose I should get something built to run it on.

post-13274-0-30383500-1394817085.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, Alan.

Don't worry - ANY progress you make is faster than me, at the moment!

Just post any pics showing progress - they are always enjoyed by the nutters on here (including me).

Jeff

Hi Alan,

Let me know when you do start a thread for the oo layout. Nice to see a bit of progress.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

It would be silly if I start running the new layout thread here so I'm definitely going to give some thought to name in the next few days. 

The subtitle will be something like " East Durham Through the Years" as I'm planning on running it to cover the years 1958-1988 although I'll probably begin c1980-88.

I'll let you know of any developments with regard to the new thread.

Regards

Alan

• RMweb Premium

My word thats a big span of running era! Will be watching with much interest.

Agreed and very do-able because the infrastructure on and around the line hardly changed during this period. 

I've even expanded kirkby Luneside from 1964-1968 out to mid-50s to late 60s - though I'm not running blue livery like Alan.

Look forward to your thread, Alan.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

While starting to work on 00 gauge stock I thought it was time to finish a couple of jobs for the N gauge layout.

Ages ago I build a short rake of Grampus wagons which have been standing empty ever since. I love Grampus wagons because they can be filled with all sorts of c**p following a clear up at the end of a pw job.

post-13274-0-05923600-1396049353.jpg

post-13274-0-32191100-1396049398.jpg

Adding loads was also a opportunity to use up a lot of left over odds and ends like oil drums, pallets, sacks and sleeper offcuts.

Small piles of ballast were made with DAS modelling clay then covered with PVA glue and sprinkled with fine N  gauge ballast.

The entire contents of each wagon were then painted in a dirty grey/brown. When dry individual items were picked out in black, dark browns and greys. Finally everything was dry brushed with a very light grey - the end result giving the contents of each wagon a similar overall appearance.

post-13274-0-25645300-1396049998.jpg

post-13274-0-05492400-1396050017.jpg

A few final items which could be added are small tree branches and maybe some pieces of metalwork-pipes or old railings etc.

post-13274-0-47103200-1396050783.jpg

post-13274-0-08364000-1396050578.jpg

There's engineering work this weekend between Dent and Garsdale which will mean single line working for much of Sunday. The Grampus wagons are ready for action and this evening 40 192 arrived to leave an assortment of pw wagons in the sidings.

Sorry the quality of the photos isn,t too good.. I was just able to catch the last of the evening sun by the time the 40 arrived...!

It's been a busy day with engineering work well underway.

With no Class 25s available  it's also been a good day for Class 40 action!

Here are a few photos taken this morning... more to follow

post-13274-0-06199100-1396193622.jpg

A surprise early this morning - 40145 and 084 working north on a Red Bank-Glasgow ECS.

post-13274-0-34057600-1396193646.jpg

47053 regains the down line having worked wrong line from Garsdale. Carlisle-Nottingham ECS.

post-13274-0-71082400-1396193670.jpg

40192 leaves the sidings with a short rake of Dogfish ballast wagons.

post-13274-0-59172200-1396193697.jpg

The first of two additional freights booked to run today. 40143 with a service from Hunslet to Carlisle.

Alan, you DO know how to seduce the senses of the 00 gauge modeller - loco and 6 coaches in N....

Very nice - even if it is all blue!   :O  :O

Jeff

Sadly some of us are never satisfied.

At this time typical passenger services were running with 9 coaches. When planning the layout I was hoping to have one rake of 8 coaches and another of 7.

However limited space in the fiddle yard reduced this to 7 coaches for the Nottingham -Glasgow and 6 on the southbound service.

Nothing wrong with a nice blue diesel. With KL2 running up to 1968, what about a blue Class 25 or a 40? You'd only have to add a few more years and KL2 could even see Class 50s!

• RMweb Premium

Sadly some of us are never satisfied.

At this time typical passenger services were running with 9 coaches. When planning the layout I was hoping to have one rake of 8 coaches and another of 7.

However limited space in the fiddle yard reduced this to 7 coaches for the Nottingham -Glasgow and 6 on the southbound service.

Nothing wrong with a nice blue diesel. With KL2 running up to 1968, what about a blue Class 25 or a 40? You'd only have to add a few more years and KL2 could even see Class 50s!

Very true. And I can already accommodate your idea as I have a blue 25 and a blue 40 (previous Bachmann model, not the new one) in my collection.

I may surprise you when KL2 becomes a reality....!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's hoping that the surprise isn't a Class 66 pulling a rake of identical wagons :D

I would say there is absolutely ZERO chance of that ever happening!

More chance of seeing a Merchant Navy or Castle on the line (as in Tour trains).

Jeff

Here are a few more photos from yesterdays' engineering works

post-13274-0-39493100-1396274973.jpg

Another unexpected arrival. 47313 with vans - probably heading to Warcop.

post-13274-0-69518600-1396275015.jpg

Late afternoon, 46047 with the second additional Sunday freight. Carlisle-Hunslet.

post-13274-0-26136100-1396275171.jpg

45015 with an unidentified freight at 5pm. Having run wrong line from Garsdale the Peak is crossing back to the up line.

post-13274-0-32988000-1396275614.jpg

post-13274-0-31430100-1396275209.jpg

With work completed, 40024 with 40192 wait in the sidings ready to depart for Leeds.

Loving the virtual trainspotting. Cant wait to get Millers Dale up and running so that I can do similar. Modelling a real location gives such a sense of place running trains to and from real locations. Although MD will be set 20 years exactly from the year it closed I will be running the layout to a timetable created from services that would likely have run in the late 80s. I wont be running freight to as strict a timetable as the passenger services though. More of an infill between the passenger timetable. I may timetable the yard freights though to make operating the good depot interesting! Great stuff on here though, makes me want a little black book to jot the numbers in!

• RMweb Premium

Superb pics as always and its possible for Jeff to have Black 5's with some Blue Grey in the mix and Class 50's with some Maroon in tow.

Bodge :sungum:

DON'T give me ideas!! 

Having said that, I do have 3 blue/grey mk 2s, but no class 50s. Wouldn't mind one, actually, as the Hornby model has a very good reputation. No doubt you've got a sound-chipped one, Andy?

Jeff

Jeff, I'm waiting to see how much money I need to spend on a Potting Shed before I buy more Locos or Chips.

I will actually be losing some stock if I end up with a small branch line as I wont need over 100 Wagons and Vans and large Pacifics. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Loving the virtual trainspotting. Cant wait to get Millers Dale up and running so that I can do similar. Modelling a real location gives such a sense of place running trains to and from real locations. Although MD will be set 20 years exactly from the year it closed I will be running the layout to a timetable created from services that would likely have run in the late 80s. I wont be running freight to as strict a timetable as the passenger services though. More of an infill between the passenger timetable. I may timetable the yard freights though to make operating the good depot interesting! Great stuff on here though, makes me want a little black book to jot the numbers in!

Hi RBE

I was lucky enough to get hold of a 1979 working timetable for the line. The fiddle yard was just big enough to accommodate the morning workings and this does give a structure to operating sessions. However there's still plenty of scope to cancel the occasional freight or to have others running early or late. About 3-4 times a year there are Saturday night-Sunday engineering works which give the opportunity to run whatever I fancy- fitting services around the various pw movements. These always include a couple of "unexpected" services to catch out photographers. It's also an opportunity to use the sidings which otherwise lie unused for months.

S&C 79-83 is my only attempt at N gauge modelling and ,unlike with 00, I'd only ever thought of the locomotives as being part of the overall scene. However seeing the photos of 40192 and 024 in close up, I do start to wish I had the courage to attempt your detailing work on the locos for Millers dale! I have a few spare 40 bodies but, so far, haven't been tempted.

Superb pics as always and its possible for Jeff to have Black 5's with some Blue Grey in the mix and Class 50's with some Maroon in tow.

Hi Andy

I've always loved the end of steam combination of maroon/blue and grey. Many years ago I built a layout set in 1968 and a rake of coaches with mixed colours behind a Black Five was essential. I've even seen photos of early MK2s in B/G behind steam in 1968.

My only 50 was the old Lima model which put in a brief appearance as D400 on the 1968 layout... now sold to help finance my foray into N gauge.

Archived