Settle-Carlisle N Gauge 1979-1983

To celebrate the transfer of S&C 79-83 to this section, here are a few photos taken earlier this year. They're all from a typical morning on the line in 1979.

I apologise if any have appeared before. I used to be a lot more organised and always put photos I'd posted into a separate file.

post-13274-0-76785800-1388769492.jpg

40 109 Kingmoor-Tinsley

post-13274-0-22413700-1388769547.jpg

40 141 Healey Mills - Kingmoor

post-13274-0-53143800-1388769606.jpg

40 192 Warrington Kingmoor

post-13274-0-78823800-1388769638.jpg

40 003 Kingmoor -Tinsley stops to deliver water to the box

post-13274-0-36966800-1388769729.jpg

Dalesrail Class 108 ECS passing 40 060

post-13274-0-11491500-1388770100.jpg

The final freight of the morning. A Class 45 heads north with a Bescot-Kingmoor service.

Here's a slightly belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.....

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for moving this over here, real inspiration for what I have planned for this year and beyond.

sorry about all the likes but it had to be done, some truly great Video and still shots that really tell the story of the layout.

Thanks.

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Alan. No probs with the delayed reply - I've been so busy painting the inside of the garage I've hardly looked on here! I can't wait to get to the start of the "railway" bit, so I'm envious that you have the opportunity to repair and run your locos!

I hope you'll be posting some pics of the revised class 40 and its train of 16t wagons. It should look impressive with 24 of them. I've got a large collection of tankers and open wagons and 10 to 15 in 00 looks good. Maybe you should enlarge your train to 30 (only joking!).

I agree about the curving problems with viaducts. I did consider such a structure for Kirkby Luneside, but sense has prevailed and the idea has been scrapped. I will stick to linear structures for the mo.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Jeff, do you remember this quote from March 2012? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

hahaha

They look new to me, Alan.

Anyway, who cares - some cracking views there. 

Did you say you had access to some green diesels for the layout. I love green diesels!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff

I've spent a few minutes tonight tidying up my layout photo files so I think I've got a better idea what I have and haven't posted before.

There are a few more green diesel photos on page 6. I've jokingly called it S&C 1969-73. They're not my locos so are all out of the box with no weathering and some are more like late 50s- early 60s with no yellow warning panels. I'm running a very random timetable which on occasions keeps the signalman very busy!

post-13274-0-36669300-1388787922.jpg

post-13274-0-86603600-1388787957.jpg

post-13274-0-01190600-1388788022.jpg

They're all on test over the S&C until the end of January then the blue ones will be back.

Right now I'm wishing Bachmann/Farish would hurry up and release the new Class 25. I need two for the layout to complete the locomotive fleet which should then be a good representation of what was seen on the line c1980. 

....and now for something completely different -  my present from Santa... :)

post-13274-0-92755200-1388788804.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Now you're talking. Those green diesels look fantastic in the setting.

As for the steamer - Ivatt 2-6-0. Nice level of detail for an N gauge model.

You ARE starting a 00 gauge layout - or was I imagining it?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, do you remember this quote from March 2012? :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

hahaha

Now there's a quote that's come back to haunt me!

Things were so much simpler then. But things then became a LOT more interesting, so I'm glad I changed my mind.

Nothing worse than wishing "what if", after the event.

Jeff

Despite following this thread for what seems like several years now I don't seem to have made any comments about it. So here goes.

It's a very nice layout, particularly pleasing for being basically blue diesels, and with very impressive and innovative scenic modules. Thanks for sharing. With your ability in 'N' I don't think there's any need to slip over to the 'O ooh' dark side for your next project.

G.

Now you're talking. Those green diesels look fantastic in the setting.

As for the steamer - Ivatt 2-6-0. Nice level of detail for an N gauge model.

You ARE starting a 00 gauge layout - or was I imagining it?

Jeff

Jeff, look at the front coupling, its an OO one and so I think the answer to the next question is DEFINITELY YES.

And :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, look at the front coupling, its an OO one and so I think the answer to the next question is DEFINITELY YES.

And :sungum:

Cheers Andy. I was misled by the track - it looked far too chunky for 00. I think I've got too used to looking at code 75 finescale track!

Jeff

I'll go either way, NO not like that, its just that I have some Blue stock as well and I have been doodling today using a 6ft x 2 ft board. just add a Viaduct, Mainline Terminus Station, 20 road Fiddle yard and a Depot, ALL IN OO and I'll be a happy bunny.

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I'll go either way, NO not like that, its just that I have some Blue stock as well and I have been doodling today using a 6ft x 2 ft board. just add a Viaduct, Mainline Terminus Station, 20 road Fiddle yard and a Depot, ALL IN OO and I'll be a happy bunny.

Bodge :sungum:

Yes, I could do both but steam and blue BR don't go together too well. And I like green (with a hint of yellow) in preference to blue!

Andy, your layouts - like Alan's, here, have little to date them as, say, 1963 or 1975 - maybe a few different road vehicles is the only discriminant. So I'm sure you'll happily run either. I initially set KL as 1964-1966ish. Then Jason asked me whether there'd likely have been any change from, say, 1955 - 1980 in the infrastructure. To which the answer was no. So KL/KL2 could run both, with green diesel/steam for preference.

When you said you "go either way" I thought you were referring to your lack of preference between cinnamon bun and Belgian bun!!

Jeff

Just lately Cinnamon has the upper hand. JUST.

ON THE OTHER HAND,

I just need to try one of each later to be sure.

As for Diesels, well I like em all.

BTW Have you seen the pics of the NEW DRS Class 68, its stunning,

Now I have another idea :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:              :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodge

• RMweb Premium

Just lately Cinnamon has the upper hand. JUST.

ON THE OTHER HAND,

I just need to try one of each later to be sure.

As for Diesels, well I like em all.

BTW Have you seen the pics of the NEW DRS Class 68, its stunning,

Now I have another idea :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:              :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Bodge

Bit too modern for me. However, I must be one of the few people who doesn't find class 70s ugly. I think they look quite attractive - if a bit modern for me.

Now don't tell me you're ALSO planning a 1990s MPD?

Actually, you could build it on a second tier/deck, above TLGP!

Jeff

Bit too modern for me. However, I must be one of the few people who doesn't find class 70s ugly. I think they look quite attractive - if a bit modern for me.

Now don't tell me you're ALSO planning a 1990s MPD?

Actually, you could build it on a second tier/deck, above TLGP!

Jeff

And N below

Despite following this thread for what seems like several years now I don't seem to have made any comments about it. So here goes.

It's a very nice layout, particularly pleasing for being basically blue diesels, and with very impressive and innovative scenic modules. Thanks for sharing. With your ability in 'N' I don't think there's any need to slip over to the 'O ooh' dark side for your next project.

G.

Hello grahame.

Thanks for following and your comments on the layout.

S&C 79-83 is my first N gauge layout. It was a real challenge starting from scratch but great fun doing something new. It will be around for at least a couple more years running with blue diesels. It was also very expensive starting in N, with not even a single wagon, and to help pay for it well over half of my extensive 00 collection was sold off.

With the remaining 00 stuff I've  decided it's time to "use it or loose it". I've hung on to a lot of old favourites in 00 - everything from an ex NER G5 to a collection Class 56s, so I want to build a layout to give them somewhere to run for a few years.

After that - who knows. I've only got a small house so any grand schemes will definitely mean back to N.

Alan

Hi Alan,

It's wonderful to see your layout on here and as nice as those blue diesels are, it's especially nice to see the green diesels too!

Green all the way for me! (& Jeff too, it seems!).

Cheers,

John E.

This is definitely where it belongs.

The layout isn't a work in progress so it will be occasional photo updates for anyone following it. The only major event in the, hopefully, not to distant future will be the arrival of a couple of new Bachmann 25s.

I do like the green diesels ,it's just a pity I can't weather them... that would be the end of a very long friendship....although the possible use of weathering powders has been mentioned. As someone who remembers steam well, my friend has never been happy with the look of N gauge locos, even the latest offerings. Therefore he has always had a general collection of available green diesels.

I've always wanted to see a weathered 9F on a Long Meg-Widnes train crawling along the layout. I've even got 18 suitable hopper kits to build..... if the 9F ever turns up.

Good evening Jeff and Andy

If I thought moving the layout over would lead to a quiet life I was obviously wrong!

Yes the Ivatt is definitely 00. My Christmas treat. I'm not a great fan of sleek locomotives so the Ivatt Class4 is a favourite of mine. If...IF I ever built a southern layout, it would be populated almost entirely by Q1s!

I love the end of steam 1967-8 and used to have a layout which had Black 5s and 8Fs on shed and working alongside blue 25s and 40s.

The new layout will be a challenge as, although it's going to be small, it will have to cover the years 1959-c1985.

It is very easy to run a wide time span on the S&C as it was probably the least altered main line... all be it for the reason that BR spent so long neglecting it. I think it was early/mid 90s before some modernisation of the signalling began with replacement of the last semaphore distants by colour lights. The other big change about this time was the reopening of the smaller intermediate stations.

Even today there aren't that many signs of a modernised railway along long sections of the line.

The N gauge Northern Rail units look really good... all I'd have to do is build a radio mast beside the box!...and possibly break the connection to the loop.

Class 70s are ugly....like all the other locos designed and built since the Class 92s! - Discuss

Cheers

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Jeff and Andy

If I thought moving the layout over would lead to a quiet life I was obviously wrong!

Yes the Ivatt is definitely 00. My Christmas treat. I'm not a great fan of sleek locomotives so the Ivatt Class4 is a favourite of mine. If...IF I ever built a southern layout, it would be populated almost entirely by Q1s!

I love the end of steam 1967-8 and used to have a layout which had Black 5s and 8Fs on shed and working alongside blue 25s and 40s.

The new layout will be a challenge as, although it's going to be small, it will have to cover the years 1959-c1985.

It is very easy to run a wide time span on the S&C as it was probably the least altered main line... all be it for the reason that BR spent so long neglecting it. I think it was early/mid 90s before some modernisation of the signalling began with replacement of the last semaphore distants by colour lights. The other big change about this time was the reopening of the smaller intermediate stations.

Even today there aren't that many signs of a modernised railway along long sections of the line.

The N gauge Northern Rail units look really good... all I'd have to do is build a radio mast beside the box!...and possibly break the connection to the loop.

Class 70s are ugly....like all the other locos designed and built since the Class 92s! - Discuss

Cheers

Alan

You definitely won't get a quiet time on here. We're a bit on the keen side, but - as you well know - the Lunesters are a splendid bunch of people. Glad your layout is here - along with Jason you were among the first half dozen to contribute to KL when it started.

As for the 70s - you may be right. I wouldn't buy one and I'm not sufficiently into modern diesels to stick up for it!

Jeff

As for the Q1, yes they have a certain beauty about them, this was mine on Blackwater Riverside a few years ago, its a moody night shot, I hope you like it, I know Rob will appreciate its sleek and powerful lines, hhaaa. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

post-9335-0-92555800-1388876173_thumb.jpg

Bodgit :sungum:

• 2 months later...

Operating the layout

A look at how the layout is operated using the 1979 timetable.

post-13274-0-54049700-1394573591.jpg

post-13274-0-85736400-1394573610.jpg

Several years ago I was lucky enough to find this working timetable which included the S&C. When planning the layout I reduced the number of services to fit the fiddle yard capacity then further reduced the operation to either a morning or afternoon timetable.

post-13274-0-92786700-1394573837.jpg

This is the simplified timetable

post-13274-0-54665100-1394573925.jpg

....from which a mornings workings were taken beginning with 00.10 Worsop-Kingmoor and ending at 11.50 with the Bescot-Kingmoor. The numbers on the right in pencil refer to the fiddle yard roads allocated to each train. The afternoon workings are not as varied,at one point having 4 passenger services running in quick succession. As there is only space in the fiddle yard for 2 passenger services, this means the same train "tail chasing"

Services marked X can cross to add interest while quite often the sequence is altered with late running trains or cancelled freight services.

post-13274-0-25336600-1394574444.jpg

post-13274-0-26802200-1394574465.jpg

The very cramped and fiddly fiddle yard.

With 6 through, and 6 dead end roads the morning timetable can be run minus 1 service  (either Kingmoor- Dewsnap or Tinsley) and with 2 trains being run twice. Woksop-Kingmoor reappears as a Healey Mills service with a couple of vans or a GUV attached while the 47/3 works the Mossend-Severn Tunnel Jct service in both directions with the loco running roung in the fiddle yard.

The dead end roads can be awkward to work with, but with practise a steady flow of trains can be run, the midnight to midday timetable taking 25-30 minutes. 

Now I'm back from holiday the layout is up and running again with the 1979-80 timetable. For now 10 locos handle the 12 fiddle yard roads until couple of new Farish Class 25s arrive to help out....unfortunately I think this is going to be long wait...? 

post-13274-0-09485100-1394575980.jpg

Kingmoor-Tinsley running 2 hours early (as usual) This train should deliver water to the box, however, this delivery is usually provided by the later service to Bescot.

post-13274-0-09937100-1394575476.jpg

40 047 Kingmoor-Bescot.

post-13274-0-20996900-1394575504.jpg

40 002 with the vb service to Severn Tunnel Junction/St Blazey.

post-13274-0-93998000-1394575545.jpg

47 053 Glasgow-Nottingham. To add interest to the running of the layout all southbound services are held here because of a signal failure.

post-13274-0-21864600-1394575594.jpg

40 024 with the Wilesden vans and the northbound Severn Tunnel Junction ABS call at the box to discuss signalling problems.

post-13274-0-62889100-1394575607.jpg

40 024 awaits the right of way while the final freight of the morning from Bescot approaches from the south.

post-13274-0-43354700-1394575620.jpg

46 047 heads north with the Bescot-Kingmoor service.

(Sorry I couldn't get the first few photos upright)

Archived